Sideboarding: Ever?

The increased variance in decklists being played would be one of the greatest benefits of a sideboard system. I’m not sure it is feasible to swap to a best out of 3 scenario, due to time concerns and the asymmetrical nature of the game.

This is the best argument against a sideboard that I’ve seen. This is a huge obstacle to overcome and would only the time it would take. It would be pretty easy to check your influence and agenda totals, but all of this just takes extra time.

Easy fix: no agendas or influence allowed in your sideboard. No influence would be too harsh, I think, but no agendas is reasonable, and I’d even prefer no influence in sideboard to no board at all.

This.

Having an x card sideboard would only increase deckbuilding options, not limit them.

For me, the runner game in Netrunner feels a bit stagnant and uninspired. There are a ton of good hate cards that runners can bring, but they are super dead draws against most corps. Allowing a sideboard would allow runners to react proactively to the specific ID he is playing against.

The corp game, however, might suffer a bit. How shitty would CI instantly be if every (most) runners packed a single Nerve Agent in their sideboard? Same thing with Scorch, as has already been mentioned before. Still, it would significantly increase the skill level of deckbuilding when going to big time tournaments, which would help the game significantly, imo.

1 Like

John, it would give cheaters a huge leg up.
I have a whole lot of reasons for why it wouldn’t work, but I’d prefer just to have the discussion in person, don’t feel like typing it all up and having a long back and forth on the nets. :P. See you on Saturday!

I don’t know if it would

I wouldn’t mind seeing a very limited sideboarding option once IDs are revealed. Where sideboards are limited to 3 cards, for example.

The obvious restriction to sideboarding would be that influence limits apply to your deck and sideboard as a whole. So no switching out triple Biotic for triple Scorch shenanigans in NBN.

As has already been said, the time increase is the most pertinent issue with sideboarding, but if the number of slots is limited, this might be minimal. Another issue would be that sideboarding is extremely effective against particular deck archetypes, like Scorched Earth. But, again, if slots are limited, you have to consider very carefully which decks you want to hate out.

While I think sideboarding is somewhat interesting I think in general it benefits runners. Also in order for it to not be completely unbalanced there probably needs to be some influence rule about sideboarding as well. That said any kind of extra time spent in tournaments right now is bad and takes away a lot more than it gives benefits.

1 Like

I think it would still work if sideboard didn’t count for influence. Only the decklist you actually played, post-sideboard, would matter. It wouldn’t really be difficult to avoid over-influencing. You’d just compare the cards removed with the cards put in. That said, I don’t think many tournaments even have FFG judges or anything, so I am sure accidents would happen.

I think a good example of why a no-influence rule in the sideboard would be very powerful is Andromeda in the current meta. If you can have all three Parasites in the sideboard adding them against RP removing RnD multiaccess you would likely have a significant better winrate.

2 Likes

Fuck that. Let’s rage on the net!

1 Like