Single ICE Subtype Decks

So this has been an idea I’ve been tossing around lately. It all started with a deck I called the Ultron Project, sometimes I try to make weird deck names, leave me alone. This was a Sentry only deck relying on the fact that all Sentry breakers have some type of weakness. Femme and pipeline are expensive, creep and Cujo don’t see too much play, and Faerie is a one shot. The only weakness would be Garrote and Mimic with datasucker. Ladies and Gentlemen, the Ultron Project:

Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World

Agenda (13)
2x Chronos Project
3x Corporate War
1x Geothermal Fracking
1x Gila Hands Arcology
3x Hostile Takeover
3x Project Atlas

Asset (7)
3x Jackson Howard •••
2x Melange Mining Corp.
2x PAD Campaign

Upgrade (1)
1x Corporate Troubleshooter •

Operation (10)
3x Beanstalk Royalties
3x Hedge Fund
3x Scorched Earth
1x SEA Source ••

Sentry (16)
2x Archer
2x Data Raven ••••
2x Errand Boy
1x Flare •••
2x Grim
3x Guard
1x Nebula
2x Rototurret ••
1x Shadow

Other (2)
1x Chimera
1x Mother Goddess

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

I know there is a lot of things that can be improved on but these are the cards I have and it was a random idea to try out. The hopes are to pull out their killers with something small like Guard then hit them with something big like Grim or Archer to trash it then score a Chronos to remove it from the game. Chimera is in there to still pressure them to install a fractor and decoder. This deck took second place in a Toledo league tournament.

What do you guys think of a deck that only runs one type of ICE? Perhaps an RP deck that runs only code gates with Unorthodox Predictions and Genetic Resequencing to have the equivalent of at least 9 Nisei counters. Or a Blue Sun deck with only barriers with Superior Cyberwalls. While they have weaknesses, with the right set up, it is an interesting idea.

One of the reasons not to do that is that running a single copy of another subtype will force the runner to pay for the corresponding breaker.

Code Gate ones have the problem that any deck with Gordian Blade instantly has a large advantage, so I think Barrier or Sentry ones are the way to go.

4 Likes

Sentry breakers tend to be the most inefficient, that’s probably your best bet, but sentries are also more porous and lower strength. Barriers suffer from corroder and code gates suffer from gordian blade.

I like the idea, but I’m not sure that you end up with a more efficient deck than one that runs multiple types of ICE. Even running the most threatening, efficient ICE you still run into the problem that all ICE has at the moment. Jesse Marshall covers this in an absolutely excellent article here.

Another issue with this sentry deck is that it opens itself up to Parasite spam, as well as datasucker (which you’ve already noted). To protect yourself sufficiently in the early game from datasucker, you’d need to run more than 18 pieces of ICE I’d think, as well as substantial econ to allow you to rez it all.

Additionally, the threat of Architect *which you should probably run actually, seems pretty good here) means that most runners won’t face-check ICE until they have a way of breaking sentries. Mimic is the most popular method at the moment and your early ICE is quite porous to it. Archer, Data Raven, Flare, Nebula, Chimera and Mother Goddess are the only ICE you have that can’t be instantly broken by Mimic, and of those only three end the run, and one of those requires you to have scored an agenda.

The bad-pub is weird too. I count 7 (two from Geothermal) ways for you to give the runner bad-pub
and no way to remove it. You could switch over to Blue-Sun (which helps with the econ) and include Elizabeth Mills to help with that (play her, rez her, bounce her using Blue-Sun). Or, and I know this goes against the all sentries idea, but it’s fucking hilarious, you could run Ireress.

Finally on your agendas, I think you want to swap three Oaktown Renovations for the Corporate Wars. Oaktown is phenomenal and actually puts you in a stronger position after IAA! Not to mention because your ICE is so threatening you may want to tempt the runner into going for it, and nothing does that like a face-up agenda.

I’ve actually tried out single subtype ICE in both Weyland (all barriers with Super Cyberwalls) and Jinteki (all code gates with Encrypted Portals). I’ll paste a couple lists below.

It’s a fun idea but not necessarily viable. In particular, code gates struggle because Yog (especially with NRE) invalidates so many and Xerxes point about Gordian Blade is good, too. Just about the only good matchup is against people who rely on ZU.13 as their primary decoder.

All barriers is maybe superior, especially because the Shaper matchup is better with Lady being so common and Power Shutdown working well against Corroder.

I didn’t consider all sentries because there’s no 3/1 agenda matching but maybe that makes the most sense. I think you’ll struggle without much ETR ICE. In particular, all the program trashing doesn’t hurt so much without programs. Runners can Parasite your Rototurrets and then go crazy.

All Barriers Weyland

Blue Sun: Powering the Future (Up and Over)

Agenda (9)

Asset (4)

Upgrade (4)

Operation (14)

Barrier (17)

Sentry (1)

49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Underway

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Code Gates RP

Jinteki: Replicating Perfection (Trace Amount)

Agenda (10)

Asset (9)

Upgrade (3)

Operation (9)

Code Gate (18)

49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Breaker Bay

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

I built a mostly-sentry BABW deck a while ago to some success. Changeling was MVP in the days before NRE, since Mimic was (and largely still is) the killer of choice. Archer/Troubleshooter was a big win condition to open scoring windows. However, the big reason I played it was to learn how people deal with sentries, since I was pretty frustrated with all available sentry breakers, with them all having various downsides that made me not want to play them. It was a fun and educational deck for me to play and I’m glad I did it, but I don’t think it was competitive.

2 Likes

others have already posted along these lines, so I’ll just throw in my vote; barriers are the way to go. check out the (now aging) “uncorrodable” archetype- the basic concept is that cheap ETR barriers are highly plentiful, so if you can get their breaker in the trash and keep it that way it’s easy to lock them out everywhere. pack a few grims and archers, along with markus batty, blackslists, and power shutdowns, and decks packing just lady or a one-of corroder can get in trouble really quick.

Sentries seem… doable, but it’s definitely tough. for example, on your list you have only 9 etr ICE - 2 of which need an agenda to rez, 3 of which have 0 strength. this leaves only 4 cards in your deck that can reliably provoke a gear check in the early game.

In summary, it’s probably just best if we all play RP and ppvp kate instead of any fun decks amirite?!?!?!

I like to joke that Chronos Project is a good 3/1 to go with sentries haha. I built a similar jinteki RP deck but used Genetic Resequencing to make Nisei a little better and added Little Engine as a little fuck you if I can combine it with Chum. I like the 1 of Archer in the Barrier deck.

1 Like

This was my attempt at a Barrier only deck. I was torn between using Blue Sun or Building a Better World.

Another Brick in the…

Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World
49 cards
Influence: 15/15
Agenda points: 20

Agenda (11)
±3 Government Contracts
±2 Hostile Takeover
±3 Project Atlas
±3 Superior Cyberwalls
Asset (9)
±2 Executive Boot Camp
±3 Jackson Howard•••
±2 Melange Mining Corp.
±2 PAD Campaign
ICE (17)
±1 Curtain Wall
±2 Fire Wall
±2 Hive
±3 Ice Wall
±2 Meru Mati
±1 Quandary
±2 Quicksand
±2 Wall of Thorns••
±2 Wraparound••
Operation (11)
±3 Beanstalk Royalties
±2 Biotic Labor••••••••
±3 Hedge Fund
±3 Restructure
Upgrade (1)
±1 Cyberdex Virus Suite

This was my idea for a Code Gate only deck. Unfortunately both of these are untested and were just made on Jinteki.net. I don’t like the agenda density of this but it’s all still a work in process and it’s still a fun idea and could possibly work in a tournament setting. One of the first pieces of advice I was given when I first started was “Neat tricks win tournaments cause there is no side deck and it only has to work once”

The Riddler

Jinteki: Replicating Perfection
49 cards
Influence: 15/15
Agenda points: 20

Agenda (14)
3 Encrypted Portals
3 Genetic Resequencing
3 NAPD Contract
3 Nisei MK II
2 Unorthodox Predictions

Asset (9)
3 Jackson Howard•••
1 Mental Health Clinic
2 Snare!
3 Sundew

ICE (15)
2 Chum
3 Crick
2 Enigma
2 Excalibur
1 Little Engine••
3 Lotus Field
2 Tollbooth••••

Operation (8)
3 Enhanced Login Protocol••••••
3 Hedge Fund
2 Interns

Upgrade (3)
3 Caprice Nisei

There’s a guy around these parts with a wicked Encrypted Portals Tennin, but he still needs Ice Walls for Trick of Light shenanigans. I think he also probably still has a couple Sentries in there, too.

Fixed!

I think it’s a big mistake to stick to a self-imposed one-type only rule. there is benefit to be gained by sticking in non-barriers if they help to enable your game plan. Here’s what I’m running right now:
(49 cards)
Blue Sun: Powering the Future
– Agenda (11 cards)
3 Geothermal Fracking
2 Hostile Takeover
3 Oaktown Renovation
3 Project Atlas
– Asset (8 cards)
2 Blacklist
2 Executive Boot Camp
3 Jackson Howard
1 Private Contracts
– ICE (16 cards)
2 Archer
2 Grim
3 Hive
3 Meru Mati
3 Spiderweb
1 Swordsman
2 Wendigo
– Operation (9 cards)
3 Hedge Fund
3 Power Shutdown
3 Restructure
– Upgrade (5 cards)
2 Crisium Grid
3 Markus Batty

Blue sun is the best weyland ID, even without OAI shenanigans. Near-immunity to parasite is a game changer, full stop. add in the accelerating effect of on-demand ICE refunds, and there is very little excuse to ever run anything else.

archer/grimm/swordsman + Markus Batty + blacklist is your main win condition. trying to tax out runners is a fools errand for most corps in this day and age. note that you can rez batty in the “Nasir window” to trigger a program trash after they’re committed to encountering a destroyer but before they can actually break it, giving you a double trash for the low low cost of a psi game.

wendigo is also worth mentioning; by far the best of the morph ice, it’s super cheap and can turn into a barrier once they drop all that cash on yog or gordian.

This deck isn’t “there” yet for sure, but I definitely think it’s headed in the right direction. destroyer/blacklist lockout is definitely the way to go if you’re thinking about making this type of deck.

2 Likes

I think if you were going to do it go the sentry route. They are porous but their subroutines set you up for a secondary win condition by using an operation or some type of nasty upgrade. Weyland has a piece of ETR ICE that alternates between sentry and something else per advancements so it’s a nice include.

I like the idea of a deck using mostly sentries and Marcus Batty to destroy their breakers. Here is a rough draft of what I’m picturing. It’s not tested at all, and I should probably figure out how to spend the last five influence. Let me know what you guys think.

Jinteki: Replicating Perfection (Trace Amount)

Agenda (9)
3x Nisei MK II (Core Set)
2x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit)
1x Chronos Project (First Contact)

Asset (8)
3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
2x Daily Business Show (All That Remains) ••

Upgrade (6)
3x Caprice Nisei (Double Time)
3x Marcus Batty (The Underway)

Operation (7)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves)
1x Interns (Mala Tempora)

Barrier (2)
2x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing) ••

Code Gate (3)
2x Lotus Field (Upstalk)
1x Crick (Breaker Bay)

Sentry (14)
3x Rototurret (Core Set) •••
3x Grim (Opening Moves)
2x Swordsman (Second Thoughts)
3x Pup (Honor and Profit)
3x Guard (Honor and Profit)

10 influence spent (maximum 15)
49 cards (min 45)

When you are running a single subtype of ICE you give up some clear advantages to the runner, mostly in regards to the speed in which they get a full rig. If you are doing this you need to get advantages, which usually comes from overloading single-use breakers or getting extra tax from a inefficient breaker.

With the diminishing amount of criminals in the meta there are very few single-use breakers out there (pretty much only shapers relying on Lady or overloading Datasucker tokens) so the goal is now almost always taxing. The problem with taxing is that it’s almost always better to include 1 or 2 ice from the other subtypes since the cost for the runner to install and/or find those breakers is far greater than whatever ineffiency you are relying on when stacking a subtype.

Worthy of note is also that stacking sentries means that you generally get plenty of program trash subroutines, and then you are often better off with some additional ICE to take advantage of the trashed programs. A good example here would be the Jinteki: PE deck with Power Shutdown that was played after Honor & Profit where a few Himitsu-Bako where great at punishing the weakness of Corroder being vulnerable.

In conclusion: it’s often bad to only run a single subtye of ICE in your deck.

A Superior Cyberwalls deck should probably think about using the morph ICE to force a full Icebreaker suite, since it’s in faction.

I haven’t tried it in a Superior Cyberwalls deck, but when I’ve played around with Encrypted Portals decks in Jinteki, Rainbow has been a star. It’s un-Yoggable, and with one Encrypted Portals scored it becomes un-“NREYoggable”. When Encrypted Portals start to get scored, it gets pretty taxing to most things other than Yog.0 or D4v1d. And I think you should probably always include three Inazumas to mess with Yog.0. It’s all about getting the first Encrypted Portals scored in my experience.

If you do have a deck which is designed to run much smoother with the strength bump from either Encrypted Portals or Superior Cyberwalls, don’t dismiss Lag Time as an alternative for when you can’t score the required agenda early.

I think this post lays it out really well. As a concept, over-stressing a single breaker is kind-of sound, but you really need to a) gearcheck - a couple quandaries or (better yet) wedigos can accomplish this without being too much drain on the main plan - and b) bring program trashing and recursion-lockout tech. this inevitably means sentries along with cards like batty or Troubleshooter, plus either chronos prjoect or blacklist.

All this means breaking a strict “one type of ICE only” rule and going with “i’m going to focus heavily on one type of ICE.”

Once we get that Platinum, an all-NEXT deck will be somewhat feasible.

1 Like

OP needs Lycan and to run the deck out of blue sun. Also, wendigo is great

the idea of needing a gear-check in order to tax is a misnomer if you are capable of taxing that one breaker adequately enough, which sentries do. Especially when you are capable of assisting in the taxing process with cards that compliment they goal of the deck.

Build an all sentry deck in NBN or HB. I would start with reversed accounts and ash. See how it goes.

You could try going all out with tagging sentries in NBN with a tag-punishment alternative but you will need sub-boost or that weyland ICE that changes subtype for the inevitable RnD lock.

I think it’s fine to use single breaker subtype decks if you have will of the wisp and morph ice to help you out, sentry ice is a tough nut to crack. Patch would probably help you out here along with experiential data. GOD FORBID someone includes those cards

Lag Time might work better for this than Experiential Data.