Slow and steady wins the game - Biotech flatline

As an alternative to @gumOnShoe’s rush build (which I greatly enjoy the look of, btw. :smiley: ) I present a thread for making the flipside (pun intended) of a biotech kill deck to destroy the runners.

My list here was almost exclusively built off the back of @Chuftbot’s Fugu list, with some (hopefully) notable tweaks.

Flip the meta upside down (72nd worlds 2015)

Jinteki Biotech: Life Imagined

Agenda (10)
1x Chronos Project
2x False Lead
3x Fetal AI
1x Philotic Entanglement
3x The Future Perfect

Asset (12)
1x Allele Repression
1x Cerebral Overwriter ••
3x Jackson Howard •••
1x News Team ••
2x Psychic Field
1x Ronin
3x Snare!

Upgrade (2)
2x Shell Corporation

Operation (11)
2x Cerebral Cast
3x Hedge Fund
1x Medical Research Fundraiser
3x Mushin No Shin
2x Scorched Earth ••••• •••

Barrier (1)
1x Himitsu-Bako

Code Gate (4)
1x Chum
2x Crick
1x Lockdown

Sentry (4)
2x Cortex Lock
1x Komainu
1x Swordsman

Other (5)
3x Data Mine
2x Kitsune

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Data and Destiny

Decklist published on http://netrunnerdb.com.

With News team added to be a ‘better’ shi-kyu for the deck, more crick and less lockdown to shuffle ice around if they facecheck assuming another data mine allowing you to get back said datamine or even that chum that you blew up earlier because nothing was behind it anymore.

Surprise include of allele repression to be a baitable one advance server or to allow you to complete more kills by either getting back your scorch without a click, or to throw up to 3 snares and a news team into the hand during the last timing window in a legwork run. Killed at least one person that way at worlds so hopefully it’s worth considering as a use for the biotech.

5 Likes

Oooooh, this is making me want to put my murder boots back on. I should really revisit Fugu with some D&D tools. A couple thoughts:

• Only one Lockdown? You’re a braver man than I. It’s probably my favorite piece of Jinteki ice. I’d probably kick out the Chum for another one just to increase the odds of seeing one so you can put it on R&D or HQ.

• Allele is a cute include. Grabbing a Snare out of the bin at the last minute is terrifying. I like it.

• I’ve been toying with Genetics Pavilion but it just doesn’t do enough for my taste. The runner tends to have a decent amount of money against this deck, so it usually gets trashed before it matters. I could see it as a one-of though. certainly doesn’t hurt.

• No love for Junebug?!

Anyway, sorry for rambling. How’d it do for you on the day? Were people slotting any kind of net damage protection? Did Film Critic make Fetals cry? I’m really curious.

Lockdown wasn’t doing it for me in ‘repeated’ playtesting, granted any kill deck gets worse the more your opponents know about it. One was enough to make the RnD digs scary looking, and at worlds very few people hit my HQ enough that the extras would have been useful the times they hit the fetal / snare. Putting it on a remote was also usually not a great plan as they would jack out immediately and leave me with a silly extra card wasting trap.

I agree on genetics pavilion though, with the porous ice it’s just too little too late. I’d almost include Chairman Hiro over genetics pavilion first, since hiro can put them down to 3 cards when they decide the tag is fine and they have a full hand.

Overall it was hilarious on the day of, got to beat Thomas from poland (I really wish I could remember his last name i’m sorry man :’( ) and Lawson Lim from canada with some hilarious plays (including the grabbing scorch w/ allele). No film critics really, the one I saw I blew up because it was in a weird haley / comet / siphon deck (one of the 3 that i lost actually).

Junebug came out for allele because everyone knows they can handle a 1 advanced junebug and I was using mushin on psychic fields, snares, and fetals more than anything else. Don’t know what to cut to put it back in if it’s gotten good results for others in the past.