Smoke and Mirrors -- A Scovak Thread

And it procs itself. If you’re only using 1 credit on it, it functions very similar to a bad pub, which is amazing.

1 Like

And you don’t need a successful run either!

Watching people spend a click to run a barrier, bump into it, spend something off a Lockpick, get a Net Mercur credit, and jack out, is kind of sad. Net Mercur credits accumulate so slowly and don’t recur naturally like a Lockpick even. It’s like a dysfunctional Scrubber crossed with an easier-to-kill Desperado. A steath credit is worth 3 credits for breaking ice, but nowadays ice is so clunky that you’re basically running a shitty Temujin.

Other than Kit, stealth is still a cooked turkey as far as an archetype. That includes Smoke.

1 Like

My usual mercer charge click is - Run Temujinned Archives, break some crappy ice to get a mercur cred, get 4 real creds and sometimes a double draw off of patron.

I have had a blast with the builds I have seen and have been trying so far and the archetype as a whole seems viable now. Especially since you don’t need those crappy hardware like lockpicks or need ghost runners, so long as you build it correctly.

1 Like

Event (16)
2x Account Siphon (Core Set) ••••• •••
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x Notoriety (Trace Amount)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)

Hardware (5)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
1x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Astrolabe (Up and Over)

Resource (11)
2x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) ••••
3x Net Mercur (Escalation)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Ghost Runner (The Spaces Between)

Icebreaker (3)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
1x Dagger (Creation and Control)
1x Refractor (First Contact)

Program (5)
2x Cloak (Creation and Control)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)

14 influence spent (maximum 15)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention

That is the build I’ve been playing. Siphon spam is always good especially when they are not expecting it. With that, Temujin and the stealth breaker suite you should be able to keep the credit advantage. 2x Plascrete because of 24/7 winning even with a broken economy.

With this breaker suite you can get through most one ICE servers with just an SMC and 7ish credits (+1 from Smoke) allowing you to pressure very early on. If they rez an expensive barrier to keep you out then bounce off and start attacking another server before they can re-group. Maybe the Refector should be Houdini to handle DNA Tracker but I’ve not found it an issue yet.

The first Temujin goes on Archives to spread their ICE thin and allowing you to pressure all centrals. Go for ICE’d remotes to keep their credits down. Notoriety, 2nd Plascrete, 3rd Same Old Thing and 3rd Ghost Runner (I find I just need the one to get me started and Net Murcring then I am usually right for Stealth) are the flex slots.

Have a go with it. I’ve found it really fun and a solid deck.

1 Like

I cannot wait for misdirection. Then I can go full bore parasite spam.

2 Likes

You mean Equivocation?

I’ve been trying it on jnet competitive and it’s really nice. Clearing hhn tags for 2 clicks and 4 c is fantastic. Combos well with Net Mercur too!

No, Misdirection. Clicking twice to clear X tags for X creds is a beautiful savings against CtM.

I have been running networking and employee strike and they are nice, but you can really just use one against CtM/NBN.

And parasite spam settles a few of the problems with my build, which is taxing multisub ice. Datasucker also makes Refractor/Houdin and Blackstone better.

And you only really need 1 in your deck cause you are Shaper.

But, maybe ice destruction is superfluous in stealth. I just like the idea of destroying troublesome ice over R&D.

So… Mirror got an upgrade? Anyone going to have Smoke try on the powerglove?

I know I will be trying it out in the slot that I was running Turning Wheel.

2 Likes

This is what I am running right now for testing. NRE is a stand in for Top Hat.

Internet Famous

Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net (Intervention)

Event (10)
2x Career Fair (Breaker Bay) [color=#4169E1]●●[/color]
3x Diesel (Core Set)
1x Employee Strike (Data and Destiny) [color=#708090]●[/color]
1x Rumor Mill (Blood Money) [color=#FF4500]●●[/color]
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (8)
1x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Mirror (23 Seconds)
1x Net-Ready Eyes (Chrome City)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (11)
1x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Net Mercur i[/i]
2x Patron (Salsette Island)
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) [color=#4169E1]●●●●● ●[/color]

Icebreaker (3)
1x Dagger (Creation and Control)
1x Houdini i[/i]
1x Paperclip (Blood Money) [color=#FF4500]●●●[/color]

Program (8)
3x Cloak (Creation and Control)
1x Misdirection (Martial Law)
1x Paricia (Creation and Control)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
14 influence spent (max 15, available 1)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Martial Law

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Why Top Hat? Just testing it out? Or are you planning on hitting the interfaces once and then digging one card deeper on a repeat run?

the latter. honestly I think its a better Adam card than a card for her.

1 Like

Agreed. I think its fine with Equivocation, but without that missing piece it is kind of a meh card.

I guess those two are going to be our RDI replacements though once rotation hits.

I’ve not played as Smoke, but I’ve had a bunch of games against her on Jinteki.net.

One observation. Her stealth breaker suite is brutal and efficient. It is just terrible to run up against playing ETF glacier. One hint: Put Excaliber on R&D.

But all that tech and clicks and credits to build that beautiful suite don’t do much if you are playing a deck that has almost no ice. I played Smoke today with a PE deck. The only ice I ever rezed the whole game was Pop Up Window. She had a ton of money and an unstoppable breaker set up, but it did not really matter because there was nothing for her to break and she really had no “tricks” other than being an ice-breaking machine.

With a 40-card deck, there is not much room for other stuff, but I wonder if she needs to pack some tricks and tools to help her exploit decks that don’t run much ice.

2 Likes

The struggle I am having is Smoke versus net damage. With so many key cards and a small deck size, it can be quite a drag. Just write it off as a bad matchup, or tech against it?

surely you just tech against it. Last gnk almost everyone brought smoke, and those that did well with her had either feedback filter or deus x to deny net damage by some of the players running the new jinteki IDs, and some playing palana (seems to be coming back, despite Smoke coming out)

Local shapers have started running Net Shield to counter PU. Cheaper, tutorable, and PU tries less to murder you with burst.

2 Likes

Or if you go with the PPVP econ instead of Temujin, you can easily slot in Levy, which seems to be good enough, most of the time.

PPvP is a harder sell for me than Temujin out of Smoke. Kate gets the install discount, Smoke gets a run discount when stuff is installed.

Temujin compounds successful run effects, which is what Smoke does anyhow.

1 Like