Taxing the runner dry

So I saw a deck from a podcast called Nerd Runners where the entire premise of the deck is bleeding the Runner dry of credits. This is accomplished through NAPD contracts, predictive algorithms, red herrings, ash, and taxing ICE.

NBN Money Sink (49 cards)

Near-Earth Hub: Broadcast Center

Agenda (9)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program 1 Hades Fragment 3 NAPD Contract 1 Project Beale 1 Utopia Fragment
Asset (11)
2 Daily Business Show 3 Jackson Howard 3 PAD Campaign 3 Turtlebacks •••
Upgrade (5)
2 Ash 2X3ZB9CY •••• 3 Red Herrings
Operation (6)
3 Diversified Portfolio 3 Predictive Algorithm
Barrier (5)
3 Eli 1.0 ••• 2 Wraparound
Code Gate (8)
3 Pop-up Window 3 RSVP 2 Tollbooth
Sentry (5)
2 Architect •••• 3 Errand Boy •••

The original deck (here [Nerdrunners] F2P v1.1 · NetrunnerDB) used Hedge and Sweeps as economy. I looked at a couple other economies that used NEH and PAD and doubled down on it using turtlebacks and diversified investments.

The question I have is: Is it possible to make the runner bleed enough credits to open scoring windows without using tag-based mechcanics? Or should the Red Herrings and/or Predictive Algorithims be abandoned for something with more teeth in it?

Errand Boy seems like a strange inclusion, as does Daily Business Show (granted DBS is pretty good pretty much all the time, but it doesn’t really help you accomplish The Goal). I made a janky version of this that included Encryption Protocol to make sure that trashing Ash/Red Herrings hurt even more and it did OK. The problem with any “install all the assets/upgrades” deck is going to be dealing with R&D dig which is stronger than ever between PPVP Maker’s Eye and the occasional Keyhole.

DBS is a four credit tax because it’ll almost always be trashed; so it does fulfill the purpose. If you install it behind something, it gets worse for the runner.

Errand Boy is there for “Either you break it for 3-6 credits or you let me have a combination of 3 cards or 3 credits”

DBS is to prevent agenda flooding, I realize I also have Jackson but I have really bad luck with agenda floods. They replaced a pair of Uroboros which I used to replace a pair of Caduceus to free up influence for Architect.

My big question is it worth running 3 RSVP? They’ll mostly go on HQ, R&D and the scoring server.

Been having a lot of fun with this list and winning games. This strategy probably won’t be realized until the NBN Big Box. That’s the downside of spoilers. Same with HB Brain Damage. I just can’t be arsed to try until The Underway.

The Future of NBN

NBN: The World is Yours*

Agenda (9)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program
3x NAPD Contract
3x Project Beale

Upgrade (4)
3x Red Herrings
1x SanSan City Grid

Operation (15)
3x Blue Level Clearance ••••• •
1x Closed Accounts
3x Hedge Fund
3x Predictive Algorithm
2x Shipment from SanSan
3x Sweeps Week

Barrier (3)
3x Galahad •••

Code Gate (6)
3x Pop-up Window
3x RSVP

Sentry (5)
2x Data Raven
3x Lancelot •••

Other (2)
2x Universal Connectivity Fee

12 influence spent (max 12)
18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to The Valley

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

That’s the UPSIDE of spoilers! Now we know not to waste time playing this deck and to keep playing nothing but RP for the next few months.

5 Likes

Which spoilers?

Time is never wasted if you enjoy what you’re doing!

1 Like

Fixed that for you.

Honestly, that ID is so strong it’s hard to imagine it being displaced without some specific hate.

No corp ID or deck is so strong that if it becomes a ridiculous portion of the meta runners won’t be able to beat it with tech. RP has 2 or 3 bad matchups right now, it’s just going to take some time before people figure out what they are and a lot of people end up playing them.

3 Likes

This is literally the basis of every one of my tournament corp decks for the past year.

I play HB ETF though. I think they are the best faction for straight making people bleed money forever.

A deck with maximum 3 for 2 agendas… and asset economy that is terminal (Adonis is the best for this)… and protection upgrades…that gains a dollar everytime you throw a card into the remote.

It becomes a game of ‘Your turn to guess. What did I do there’

And that is a hard game for people to play. If you really wanna play the ‘Kill the money’ game… Reversed Accounts is huge… and GRNDL Refinery can bait runs into your dumb remote while dual-purposing as your Econ slots.

I’m not sure if NBN does it as well, but its a very valid way to play HB at least.

1 Like

I’m also doing an HB ETF deck that will create servers that cost lots of money to get through, with assets that are expensive to trash. It really is amazing when the runner will go broke to find an adonis/pad/eve after spending 14 credits getting through a server, then on my next turn fearlessly installing an agenda, knowing I can keep them out based on them not having enough creds to get in. When in doubt, I’ll stick an NAPD in there, because sure, they can have an NAPD that lets me score my 5/3.

This is definitely giving me ideas on how to play the deck. I particularlly like the idea of forcing the runner to steal the NAPD to bankrupt them for a turn so I can score out of a Hades or Utopia.

Having played the deck a couple of times I did find out a couple of things:

1. Needs burst economy. I’ll have to ditch the Diversified portfolios for Sweeps or Hedge (More likely sweeps)

2. Had to diversify my ICE. Having 3 Eli’s and 3 Wraparounds was too easily countered. I swapped in a pair of Lotus Fields. RSVP wasn’t that

3. Reversed Accounts instead of Daily Business Show. I really like this card. No Trace battles, just Click, Click, Click the runner loses 8 credits.

For the people that run HB ETF taxing builds what ICE do you like to use?

RSVP wasn’t that… what? I love the idea of RSVP but every time I sit down to think about putting it into a deck, I hate its stats. Is it working for you?

Sorry,

Been on a break from Netrunner. I was drawing RSVP too much in situation where it didn’t do too much. More than 2 in a deck is a waste.

The deck has the problem on not pressuring the runner at all. So the runner can sit back, build his rig, and then wreck stuff. At least running DRT forces the runner to consider making multiple runs a turn.

I’m going to look into the HB Cybernetics that recently came out.