Teaching Deck Challenge Board League

Wow. Great to see we have 20 signed up on the Challenge Board. I know not everyone who signs up will end up playing much, but I think we will have enough interest to get some games in.

Slack has several people joining. I think that will end up being a good way to set up games.

Looking to kick things off on Monday, April 10.

Keen!

So, I sat down and tried to put something together that would fit in with the other corp decks in the spirit of teaching the game. Keeping in this spirit I wanted to avoid advance-able traps and big-value psi games from Batty and/or Caprice.

I tried a few things and came up with a not-great RP deck:
https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/902456

I don’t know if this is really keeping in he spirit of what @TheBigBoy was going for. It’s a click-taxing deck with a blend of face-check penalizing ICE for centrals and simple EtRs for the remote. The economy is primarily asset spam with a few operations to supplement. There is a significant amount of net damage (from ICE and Snare), but I think this is similar to GRNDL.

I’m not sure this is really a particularly good deck for teaching. If the board state is checked aggressively, it can be difficult to establish an economy to get started. Whizzard can really cause a lot of problems in this regard. I wanted to include Lotus Field as one of my EtR ICE, but the Whizzard deck has no answer to that, and I don’t want to include a single card that hoses one match-up so badly. On the flip side, if the board state grows unchecked, the corp economy can run away pretty easily.

RP’s ability can be easily forgotten by new players. It’s not a problem on Jinteki, but in person I see newbies run that Sundew remote click 1 frequently.

I’m worried that the deck I’ve made is de-tuned to the point of just being bad. I’m certainly open to alternate ideas. One idea I like is slotting Melange to act as a never-advance run bait in the scoring remote/econ boost.

1 Like

Maybe this is just the lifetime Tennin devotee in me speaking, but maybe a relatively non-spiky Tennin glacier deck with a Trick of Light backup plan might be a cool way to go.

The fact that the ID has “you know, runner, it really would be good if you ran” printed on it seems pretty cool for an instructional ID.

My main concern, if we are trying to follow Big Boy guidelines to the letter, is the extent to which Tennin + Advanceable ICE is considered a gimmick deck.

2 Likes

Both interesting ideas. As I’m not qualified to assess their balance vs. the other teaching decks, I’m not going to include anything for this version of the league that has not been tested against them.

That said, I welcome the discussion and theory-crafting about how to build decks that meet Abram’s parameters.

2 Likes

That makes sense.

And I suppose we ought to move that discussion to another thread so as not to distract from or confuse this very cool project.

1 Like

I’ll try to make one

9 Likes

Just a few days until we get rolling. Still time for people to join.

Here’s my idea for a Jinteki Deck. Idk how good it is, but it should work fine…

6 Likes

Is there any concern that it might not be balanced with the Runners and cause problems in that way?

Would you be willing to write up a couple paragraphs about the deck like you did for your others so new players can get some pointers on how to play it?

Personally, I am now realizing hoe hard it is to build a mid-range Jinteki deck that doesn’t rely heavily on Mushin or Caprice/Batty for it’s game plan (both of which are degenerate enough to no longer be considered truly ‘mid-range’).

For my RP list, I really wanted to use Excalibur and Lotus Field, but I felt like those were outside the spirit of the other corp decks it was supposed to fit alongside of (and would completely hose some of the runners). In the end, I felt like I just made a gimped list that doesn’t really do anything very well, and could obviously benefit from cards that I was actively avoiding.

2 Likes

Thirty players have signed up for the Teaching Deck League.

Great response so far.

Even after the expected fall off when game play actually starts, it sounds like we should plenty of people for some fun games.

More time to sign up if you are interested! Bring your friends!

Thirty-three players signed up. League starts on Monday. See top post for details.

Just played a couple games with these decks with my (also new) brother. He had this to say:

“I like these teaching decks a lot, makes it more fun. It’s easier when I know what you have and what I’m supposed to do, actually feels good strategy wise because I often get rekt by a card I haven’t seen before” and I quite agree!

So pretty nice proof of concept for us, really looking forward to the league!

This idea is great and I’m super excited to see how it goes!

2 Likes

Great! Sorry I got bogged down and could not play. Great to hear you two had fun!

Thanks. That praise means a lot coming from you.

I’ll join, why not?

1 Like

I can think of no reason why you should not.

2 Likes