The Black Knight - Blue Sun Grail/Shutdown/Blacklist

“None shall pass”

So this is the deck I won yesterday’s York BABW with and I figure it needs tearing apart by you guys :stuck_out_tongue:

The Black Knight - BABW York winner

Blue Sun: Powering the Future (Up and Over)

Agenda (11)
3x Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves)
2x Hostile Takeover (Core Set)
3x Oaktown Renovation (Chrome City)
3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (7)
2x Blacklist (Breaker Bay)
1x Executive Boot Camp (All That Remains)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
1x Private Contracts (Cyber Exodus)

Upgrade (2)
2x Crisium Grid (First Contact)

Operation (11)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
1x Patch (Order and Chaos)
3x Power Shutdown (Mala Tempora)
3x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
1x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)

Barrier (5)
2x Changeling (Up and Over)
3x Galahad i[/i]

Code Gate (5)
2x Enigma (Core Set)
3x Merlin (All That Remains)

Sentry (8)
2x Archer (Core Set)
2x Grim (Opening Moves)
3x Lancelot (First Contact)
1x Swordsman (Second Thoughts) [color=#DC143C]•[/color]
15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Chrome City

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

There’s an overly long description over on netrunnerdb here which goes into details on deck choices and matchups, but there are a few bits that can certainly be improved on and if anyone can think of how it’s you guys here. The obvious weak links are Patch and Private Contracts, if anyone has any bright ideas for replacements I’d love to hear them.

And yes, I know building a trashing based deck that doesn’t involve Marcus Batty right now is odd, but i’d been working on this build for ages and I wasn’t gonna let the new hipster bullshit get in the way.

p.s. Paging @ulrikdan Told you I’d give it it’s own thread if it actually won something :smiley:

17 Likes

Contracts seems an odd choice over Capital investors?

I don’t think it is here. It’s far tougher in R&D, nobody ever goes to trash a PC behind ice (or even unprotected most of the time) and you’re not some slow glacier deck that wants to click it for turn after turn, taking a PC down to 4-6 and pulling it back should be more than enough to see you through to the next agenda. What is the advantage of Investors?

2 Likes

The advantage of investors is that you can use it for a long time without having to spend a click to reset it. I guess I’m just misjudging the pace of your deck though, since you say that it doesn’t tend to click it for long enough to become relevant.

Yeah this deck does not hang around. You’re handing out BP like candy so you’re never gonna compete economically with most runners. It’s not worth trying to get tons of ice rezzed at the same time to tax them out. I forgot to mention how much fun it is having the freedom to pull back Grims with your ID because you just don’t care about the runner’s bank balance when your aim is to stop them getting in at all.

Love the deck. Any chance of any video of this deck popping up?

It hasn’t been on video yet unfortunately, nobody was recording the York event and I was a table off the lead all day in my pod at Quinn’s Intercity after taking my only losses to the eventual pod winner in round 1, but I’m probably gonna take it to some more events over the summer so it might manage to get on one of the netrunners.co.uk or Neo Reading Casts vids at some point.

Congrats :smile:

A few questions:
I’m conserned about all these bad pubs, how do you manage to score your last 2-3 points ? I image even in the best case, by that time, runner should have all of their breakers .

The two ID where grail ices works are NEH and RP, and they still need the help of Astro/ Nisei to rush out
Being BlueSun doesn’t seem that helpful in the amount that NEH and RP can provide. Why not Titan?

In the decklist description he links, he sites Blue Sun’s resistance to Parasites as the reason for the identity. I’d imagine with Grail’s weakness to them, the ability to pull back a Parasite’d ice would be pretty nice.

1 Like

Yeah I did try the same idea out of Titan, and even good old BABW when Titan proved too slow economically, but parasite just ruins your day far too often. Agenda + operation econ is amazing for speed, but not good for resilience. You simply can’t afford to be replacing ice lost to parasites even if you have more to put down.

The last 2 points are often the easiest to score! By then you’ve often killed enough of their rig that you can be pretty confident they simply can’t get into your remote, or at the very least will have to luck into topdecking a replacement part that turn.

If everyone was running well tuned stimshops, playing carefully and not running til they had 3 pumpable breakers and a stack of cash you would struggle, but those sort of decks don’t really exist any more, and if someone tries to switch to that plan with a deck not really designed for it you should be able to outpace them - without being pressured you can often score out in ~7-8 turns.

This is a really neat deck.

I like the Private Contracts.

I think patch is probably superfluous now you have swordsman to beat up Atman. I haven’t played your deck, but my theory vs stealth is that they struggle to keep any stealth credits on the table in the face of getting them repeatedly shut down.

Can you make a case for 2 ebc, 1 blacklist, 1 business show instead of the patch?

I think you fold to Val. Maybe you can go fast enough to beat the blackmail. Have you tried it? What are your experiences?

2 Likes

There are timing issues using EBC to find Blacklist, in that it gives them a chance to pop clone chips pre-emptively after you search it up, which make me wary of going down to 1. DBS would be neat if you could get it to stick, and it is something I considered for the last pip before settling on Swordsman, but with all the BP it’d need protecting for sure and that’s yet another server you need to build…

You’re right re. stealth, certainly Andy versions have trouble keeping chips around and 3 Ghost Runners is nowhere near enough to power Switchblade through multiple Lancelots/Grims enough times to win, but the Hayley version that was around in York had a lot of other cheap crap for Shutdown cover and Dagger rather than blade which made it a bit tougher. Still won without Patch though so it definitely is time for it to go. Will put a 2nd Subliminal back for now I think, or maybe a Beanstalk as an alternative ‘atlas fetch’ emergency option.

I don’t remember facing any Val in OCTGN testing (and nobody is running her in Brum right now) but given that most Val lists these days don’t seem to run any SoTs in favour of real econ and breakers I reckon you’ve got a decent shot at outpacing them, if they focus on blackmailing the remote they need 4 runs to do it and if you can get one Atlas through with a token before they draw enough Blackmails you can fetch EBC and force them to start dropping breakers. Not drawing enough agendas early on could certainly put you in a tough spot against a hardcore Blackmail deck, let’s hope they continue to be rare :smile:

2 Likes

Congrats! I’ve had far less luck with mine, latest is to throw in Curtain/OAI (which actually Works, somehow). I’m going to test your deck as you’re obviously better than me with this concept!

I’ve come around on Private Contracts as well, it’s much better in Blue Sun than normal decks.

Cool deck. I actually think the private contracts are fine but I’d play an Interns over Patch. Whether it’s recurring Blacklist when it counts or just saving an Agenda you hit with Shutdown, I think it’s easy to justify.

5 Likes

One card I do love in this (type of) deck is Fast Track. Let’s you start scoring faster without having HQ be a big risk.

That’s a really neat idea which I’d totally failed to consider, thanks! Will definitely try this one out.

I keep putting them in and then cutting them again for space, but at this point it is certainly another option I should be thinking about over Patch.

I like patch enough, and it’s almost worth it if you have someone with only mimic and atman as their killer, but it’s worth replacing with something else, maybe even the twins if you want a nice surprise/edge. I heard they go good with grail. Going down to 1 blacklist is probably better with 2 ebcs especially with Val being around, Deja Vu, same old thing and Levy are things too, not just clone chip, and didn’t you shut that chip down anyway?

I feel like there should be some way to incorporate Underway Renovation into this.

Why? What does that actually achieve? Underway renovation just seems bad to me.

3 Likes

I was going to include it if it had been the 2/4 cards version that was spoiled, but at 1/2 it’s just too weak.

1 Like