The cards that made us mad

Play student loans. Baaaahahaha

Oh boy, I get to name things I hate!

• Blackmail
  • Blacklist (I’m not racist, I swear.)
  • Chronis Protocol

Cards that go “You can’t do X, neenerneener” can pretty much fuck right off.

2 Likes

RP would too. So, all Jinteki decks… you know, sorta like the thing that happens to Weyland and HB decks on a regular basis.

Yes. It’s an agenda that has an interesting enabler effect once scored, rather than being worth half the total agenda points of a deck and utter bullshit while not scored.

4 Likes

I’ll never forget losing a game to RP because I couldn’t score TFP at worlds last year. I’d never had a problem with TFP before that, but playing against that deck was hard. It sucks knowing you made the right tough calls (because you saw the agenda), but that the psi game was what knocked you down a bracket. I’m not convinced I could have played the psi game right in that case; mostly because there is no “right” way to play the psi game. The right way is to know either what your opponent won’t pick (on one side), or what they will pick (on the other side). And that’s a fools errand.

But, the really right move is to tech for it with Imp or Film Critic now that the future is here. I used to feel the same way about siphon, and I don’t think I’ve ever stopped feeling that way about siphon.

The thing is Hate is such a strong word. And I’m not mad. But, you can’t argue with that feeling you get when you’re being defeated by the game you’re playing and there wasn’t an obvious move to make in context. Even a non-obvious move post-post is only a slight feel better.

3 Likes

The Zen response is surely to shrug, and accept you put yourself in the best position to win given the information you had, and the dice didn’t come up in your favour.

But sure. We all get that feeling.

1 Like

Still, I personally would rather be lucky than good!

5 Likes

basically all those cards both a) have to be played to have any effect and b) can be played around in other way than just “always have cash to throw at them.” NAPD, TFP, and midseasons are all completely passive threats (well, triggering midseasons is a passive affair, obviously actually using it is a click, but it’s after the fact) to which the only counters are either large credit stockpiles or Imp, which obviously is both expensive in influence and relatively easily countered.

anyways, not saying they’re broken; just that they “make me mad” and that I’m glad runners are getting an option to counter them at the cost of clicks and deckspace.

There are a lot of other counters to Midseason. Plascrete is still a card that exists. Anarchs have Keyhole and Singularity. Criminals have, uh, Dorm Computer and Paper Tripping.

OK, you know what I mean. RP at least makes you run a central first, giving all your remotes protection inherently. But weyland and HB have ice that is just better designed to actually keep people out, not just deter them until they have the final solution. I say final solution because of cards like keyhole and anything one plays crisium grid to avoid. Hateful cards like account siphon and vamp. Snare isn’t enough of a deterrent to multi access, and that screws jinteki the hardest. If it weren’t for the future perfect, you’d hardly want to play three pointers in any jinteki deck.

That being said, I would rather people play labyrinthine servers as well, it’s just not going to happen haha. Maybe if film critic is such a big deal, people will make rp servers a little more buff, and a combination of ancestral imager and labyrinthine servers will allow for a different pain filled RP. But most likely, people are just going to make minor additions to the existing archetypes and lean on batty and caprice more.

Also, my hate card is Valencia, cause of the constant blackmail threat being so oppressive, thereby requiring cards like ash or caprice, or something that can negate not being able to rez ice.

Yes

1 Like

@Vinegarymink has that down to a tee.

1 Like

Do you want people to play that card cause it’s easier to score?

Insert cute emoji here

No, I want people to play that card because it means less people play Future Perfect, which is a boring-ass agenda.

1 Like

I would like to live in the alternate universe where Students Loans was worth playing. It’s telling that even in the best possible meta for it where the strongest runner plays only event economy, it’s still a bad card.

5 Likes

We’re both set in our opinions and that’s okay. I like Gyri Labyrinth too, but I don’t think one can realistically argue that Gyri, Ireress, or Monitor would have ever seen play as printed, even without Yog. No one was going to pay 4 to rez Monitor ever, except maybe in a fun casual deck. (Honestly it’s more reasonable to splash Matrix Analyzer, even for 2 influence). I suppose Ireress could be considered interesting, but it suffers from being positional and the fact that we still don’t have a valid reason to play it. It’s not like Modernism is concerned about negating BP.

I also think it’s being hyperbolic to call Enigma “meh.” That is an incredible piece of ICE, and has had to contend with Yog from the beginning.

I also never got frustrated by Lotus Field. I think it’s a great card, and I’m glad they printed it at 1 influence. It does still give me headaches occasionally as an Anarch, but that’s fine. I’m a fan of cards that force you to change your angle of attack. Being adaptable is a fun part of Netrunner for me, which is why I think I’m okay with cards like Yog and Lotus Field.

1 Like

Gyri + the twins, biotech rush. Yes