The cards that made us mad

I kinda think SMC and Clone Chip shouldn’t even allow icebreakers to come back. That would be exciting.

I think huge amounts of Netrunner problems on the runner side are core set influence issues. Datasucker, Mimic, Yog.0 should all be 2+ influence. Parasite maybe 3+.

Mushin Pri Req, install ice is a pretty sweet, if risky, draft play.

Well, that’s good, right? It makes a deck that otherwise wouldn’t work, for any number of reasons, have a much better chance. Perhaps your opponents should have drafted infiltration, that card probably does so much in draft

2 Likes

So basically, if smc tutored for any non ice breaker, it’d be better, and clone chip was ONLY for recurring parasites basically, that would be preferable? New smc being 1 or 2 inf and costing 0 to trigger would make that a solid card for getting a useful 1 of program that wouldn’t normally see play, see play

1 Like

It’s tough to say it would be better, but it makes for an interesting thought, doesn’t it?

You can even add ‘non-virus’ to a lot of cards if you want to discourage out of faction Parasite/Datasucker…

It’s easy to say it wouldn’t be better, but it’s definitely more interesting. Maybe criminal could get it, I heard they search for cards from time to time. Sometimes you just want to play criminal cards in criminal, and sometimes these cards are actual programs

Mushin is another high stakes “random” effect, but it’s not the card generating randomness, it’s just the mechanics of the game. People have always been able to make the runner guess whether a newly advanced card was an agenda or an ambush, mushin just makes the guess more important.

2 Likes

I think Mushin is an important card. Traps have always been a double edged sword: even if the runner bites, it’s arguable the corp wasted so much time and setup that it wasn’t worth the impact. Mushin was a necessary card for getting traps to have any teeth, and the fact we don’t see it splashed all over and everywhere means it’s pretty well balanced. The hate card (Infiltration, Drive By) are not even bad cards, they’re just not important. Arguably they should be, because the game is a lot more fun when hidden information and bluffing are involved in the game. Ice is where it happens most, but it’s rarely even relevant because of how easily it gets broken.

4 Likes

I think the game would have been much better served if Datasucker had the condition “You cannot use Datasucker to reduce the strength of ICE below 1.” It would remain a strong economy card and a great complement to the fixed strength breakers, but it would make more ICE more useful since even with parasite your ICE can’t die the turn it’s rezzed (unless it’s str 0, or 1 with Grimoire). That would open up the design space greatly and keep cheap, dangerous ICE relevant into the late game.

4 Likes

Or just make Parasite trash the ice only if there is at least one counter on itself. keeping instaparasite only for grimoire combo.

Everyone has already covered the easy to hate cards so I’m going to talk about something else I hate:

Event Economy.

Event Economy for both Corp and Runner is bad for the game because it reduces interaction between the players and rarely interacts with other cards in the same deck. On the corp side, cards like sweeps week and restructure are simply less interesting than economy assets. They are 1 shot deals that the runner has no ability to stop, don’t require ice to defend them and are simply gone after being played. I except Celebrity Gift from this hate though solely because of how it forces the corp to reveal information which creates interaction between the two players but other than that card, event economy is a yawn fest.

On the runner side, event economy requires less setup than the alternatives. Ordinarily, the corp can’t interact with the runner’s resources but usually non event economy requires you to be mindful when constructing your deck. Want to use MO/Data Foldering/Underworld connections? You’ll have to design your deck differently. Kati Jones requires a turn by turn decision on when to pull the credits from her. By contrast, Easy Mark/Sure Gamble/Lucky Find require no difficult decisions. Draw them, play them, take money.

I’m not saying that event economy is too good and that no one uses other sources of economy. They obviously do in most decks.I don’t hate event economy because it’s too good, I hate it because it’s boring.

3 Likes

With clone chip you still have to dig it up. I’m OK with that.

Mushin is neat because it creates drama and there is a mechanic to answer it cleanly.

Jinteki: PE

Not for any good reason, really. I just start my games against PE grumpy and end them salty.

3 Likes

Not every card has to involve interaction with other players or require you to build your deck around otherwise the game would be too complicated.

yeah, this exactly. The name of the thread isn’t “cards that we believe were unhealthy design decisions for the netrunner meta-game” it’s “cards that make us mad,” and boy does jinteki PE ever make me mad!

it’s a fine card, playable, well themed, and not OP. It’s just so aggravating to play against!

for reals though: the cards that grind my gears most are TFP, NAPD, and midseasons. these cards have been holding back alternative-resource runner decks for far too long; the Nasirs and stealth decks and whatever other decks that would otherwise be able to get by on being poor on raw credits but strong elsewhere grind to a halt against these tactics. Looking forward to film critic; very rare that a card comes along that’s incredible for a variety of decks but of no interest to the current top-tiers.

3 Likes

Whenever I play Jinteki PE I always forget to trigger its ability

How about Ash, Tollbooth, Red Herrings, Utopia Fragment, Predictive Algorithm, Gagarin, San San City Grid?

1 Like

Why, yes, Yog does speak fluent Navajo.

Tinweasel was never really a powerhouse in ONR, so a straight reprint probably seemed pretty safe at the time. I’ve never had a problem with it.

I actually want more cards like Mushin, because then it might actually give people a reason to remember the expose mechanic exists.

I’ve found less and less cards to be annoyed with lately, but the hate regarding TFP will always remain.
A world without TFP and therefor Film Critic would be a better place.

A bunch of Core-cards are troublesome but I think most of the (anarch) cards can be solved with some tweaks to Datasucker. Yog, Mimic and Parasite wouldn’t be nearly as sad if Datasucker was a worse card.

1 Like

If TFP didn’t exist, jinteki decks that aren’t rp would just get rocked constantly by random access. Would you rather people play labyrinthine servers?

1 Like