Time to give us more information about which cards will/wont cycle?

You see, as far as I’m concerned they do only release 7-8 playable cards a pack (in line with the chart), but the cards I’m interested in playing havea roughly random overlap with the cards that are apparently actually playable.

1 Like

I wonder how much rotation will affect the alt art prices for Eli and lotus field. Those are the two current “chase” cards that will rotate out. Maybe everyone will just hold them for the eventual legacy format. Also I wonder how much the full bleed championship decks will effect things. Does alt art Eli bottom out when full bleed Eli hits?

1 Like

Maybe it’s just coz I do economics, but I’d love to see price charts and a speculation market for Netrunner singles. It would also generally give better signals about the health of the game than the anecdotal whinge levels we currently gauge things with.

1 Like

Its very hard to set a price for netrunner alt arts since ffg prints them whenever they feel like to give away at conventions. kate was super rare since gnks were not the rage on ebay then that they are now but ffg put a bunch of kates in circulation during convention season last year which dropped her price. Until ffg establishes a printing policy the alt arts will be a fickle market.

1 Like

6 Net chips in a replicator aesops deck… I didn’t say it was good.

2 Likes

Netrunner is not Magic at all when it comes to card prices.

FFG is trying very had to make sure that people don’t believe that these pieces of cardboard will hold value. They’re ok with a secondary market existing, but they make no promises as to the value of the cardboard beyond “A set is $15 and a box set is $30”

I’d guess they’re also looking to avoid the problems that magic has where the alt art has perceived value, so it can run into gambling regulations. They want the alt art to be a special thing, not a monetary/compensation thing.

(I don’t work for FFG, this is my interpretation of what I see them doing.)

2 Likes

A bit of a follow up on consumer grade cards- I do find myself disappointed with them. While its a little early to say for sure, I’m inclined to think that consumer grade cards are a design failure. The one’s we’ve seen so far feel much more like they started with the idea of a limit 6 per deck and tried to figure out what effects that might fit that, rather than coming up with cool effects that needed to be 6 per deck to work.

The exception from the currently spoiled cards is exclusive party- that is a cool effect that needs 6 per deck to work (and its not even technically a consumer grade card- I guess the subtype only goes on hardware). I doubt its competitive, but it looks fun to try to make work- maybe add in power nap and try for a self-milling deck of some kind? Ramujan reliant, netchip, and spy camera all feel like they could have been designed without the consumer grade mechanic with a few small tweaks. None of the effects are that new or interesting, and the “per copy of x installed” effects feel a bit shoehorned in.

1 Like

You seem to be excluding a lot of cards that do see some amounts of play, though. Here’s some I’ve seen plenty in high level decks:

Zu, E3, Josh B, Test Run, Scrubber, Crescentus, Deus X, Retrieval Run, Escher, Scavenge, Cy-Cy, Silencer, Cache, Refractor, Amped Up, Wanton, Forked, Spooned, Hacktivist Meetings, Comet, Gang Sign, Hyperdriver, Film Critic, FIS. All the IDs are also excluded, most of which have at least some deck that is quite viable.

I can imagine others have different views on viable cards, but I think this list is too restrictive. I don’t see how you can include Switchblade and not include Silencer as they’re never really played separately, for example. Still, I agree there’s a lot that doesn’t see much competitive play, especially in Genesis, H&P and Lunar cycle.

1 Like

Hello,
I don’t think I understood what cards will not rotate and what will.

Would I be correct in saying that all data packs will rotate, but not coreset and deluxe expansions?
Also, uptill and including what cycle would data packs be obsolete?

The information is out there. Here’s the intro article that spelled out what rotation would look like.

The policy:

1. The rotation process begins when the 8th cycle gets released.
  2. Rotation only affects datapacks, not the core set or deluxe expansions.
  3. When the 8th cycle is released, the 1st and 2nd cycle get rotated out.
  4. The rotation process continues such that every two cycles, two cycles rotate out (when the 10th cycle drops, the 3rd and 4th cycle rotate out)

What this means for Netrunner specifically:

If you look at the side of the page on the NetrunnerDB card page, you get a visual of the cycles of the game. The cycles so far are:

1. Genesis
  2. Spin
  3. Lunar
  4. SanSan
  5. Mumbad
  6. Flashpoint
  7. Red Sand

The next one is going to be the 8th cycle, so that’s when rotation starts happening. The moment we get our first pack of cycle 8, we drop Genesis and Spin.

When cycle 10 drops, we drop Lunar and SanSan.

The assumption right now is that the first pack of cycle 8 is going to drop at some point in 2017.

So noteably, the following are not rotating out:

1. Core Set
  2. Creation and Control
  3. Honor and Profit
  4. Order and Chaos
  5. Data and Destiny

and I believe neither is

1. Terminal Directive

Make sense?

6 Likes

Yes, Thanks! Thanks for the link to the article.

Appreciate the detailed response…I was worried about The Professor / Custom Biotics, and this clarification assuages the worry.

1 Like

I cannot personally guarantee that nothing will ever happen to The Professor or Custom Biotics, but I can certainly tell you that there are no plans to rotate them out of the game anytime soon, and no known plans to rotate them out at all.

1 Like

Sure, makes sense. :smiley: