[Updated] I for one welcome our new Whizzard Overlord

You know what I did to Heimdalls?

Burned them to the ground.

(same with Ashigarus)

6 Likes

\m/ MaxXimum Punk roā€¦ Wait, this is the Whizzard thread?

Jokes, aside, not having to worry about blacklist might actually be good. Net ready eyes are just gravy on anarch breakers heh.

1 Like

[Given how much time I spent word-vomiting this post on NetrunnerDB, I figure I may as well make my point here too.]

Fantastic showing with a fantastic deck! I have been playing an extremely similar build out of the Whiz (which just makes my aforementioned compliment sound extremely self-serving, doesnā€™t it?), the only notable exception being the replacement of Atman with Ice Carver and not running Symmetrical Visage (fantastic card though it is), instead spending the freed influence on an extra Career Fair and a Lucky Find. While Atman^4 (or 5) is indeed truly monstrous with the Anarch breaker suite, I just struggle with the idea of using it as a one-of, given the inconsistency of drawing into it.

While Ice Carver certainly has its own weaknesses (the main one being that it sometimes actively hinders D4v1d), it has added synergy with our beloved Parasites and doesnā€™t cost a memory slot (which is pretty major, and would solve the dreaded Memstrips conundrum, much to @mediohxcoreā€™s delight). Consistently getting through a Carved Tollbooth with a Net-Ready Yog for a paltry 3 credits is just smexy. Furthermore, with the additional Career Fair, the Ice Carver is a free install more often than not, as opposed to the whopping seven for strength-4 Atman. That being said, Atmanā€™s flexibility is a huge point in its favour - setting it at 5 will also allow you to get through Tollbooths for 4 credits and you can Net-Ready boost it whenever you run RPā€™s archives to deal with the dreaded Crick.

The only reason I begrudge you your stellar performance is because the catā€™s out of the bag now - Whizzard is indeed the unadulterated shiznit. Will be sure to test the Atman variant out myself (as will many others, undoutedly) to see how it compares.

Once again, props on the performance! (Also, entirely unrelated, props to @aandries for yet again repping the homegirl, Leela.)

3 Likes

I like the idea of Ice Carver; and once NRE is on the board it might even be a suitable replacement for atmanā€¦

Whizzard is tier 1 now; BUT, I think almost any Anarch ID is tier 1 right now. If you arenā€™t playing anarch, youā€™re probably doing it wrong.

Kate is still good. Andy is meh.

5 Likes

I can testify for this deck - it has real legs. Been playing something similar that took 5th in an ATL regional (wouldā€™ve been higher with abetter corp, imoā€¦) [edit: I did not play in ATL I just saw the deck in a recording and have been playing it], and wow, it does serious work.

Iā€™ve been fooling around with big money/big rid whizzard for a while, and I like atman a lot in decks like this. itā€™s such a widely applicable silver bullet for tons of different problems you might be having (not the least of which might be d4vid/datasucker over-taxation) and while the deck usually has a ā€œbetterā€ solution to any individual problem, if you donā€™t have the pieces in hand atman can save your butt.

Iā€™m with spags on this, especially because with NRE in the deck I almost always get a free (and clickless) IHW and ERH goes with career far like peanut butter and jelly, so replacing current draw cards seems weak. Inject then means cardslots, and worse yet wasted clone chips. Save it for MaxX imho.

2 Likes

Congrats on the second place!

The decklist is really solid and Iā€™ll try it ASAP. Do you think Valencia could work with a similar list + blackmails and 2 extra cards or do you think the 5 extra cards make the deck too inconsistent?

1 Like

check this out, regional winner from middle america with a similar list in Val. main difference is desperado (pairs well with val) over the NRE/career fair.

He did say in his write up that the few losses he suffered could be partially attributed to sloggy-ness because of the less reliable deck size - anecdotal, I suppose, but I definitely think itā€™s something you have to consider.

1 Like

That was my starting point for this:

Pancakes for the Poor - Madison Regional - Almost Swiss 3rd

Valencia Estevez: The Angel of Cayambe (Order and Chaos)

Event (13)

Hardware (6)

• 3x Desperado (Core Set) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢
  • 3x Net-Ready Eyes (Chrome City) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢

Resource (10)

Icebreaker (11)

Program (10)

15 influence spent (max 15)
50 cards (min 50)
Cards up to Chrome City

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

I took it down to basics for consistancy and with the loss of clone chip, had to lose inject, but Iā€™m convinced thereā€™s a middleground between this and @spags list.

2 Likes

no sir. u cannot break turing with atman.

3 Likes

On Inject, Anarchā€™s biggest weakness is still being rushed against. Having your econ and faster and your early programs in the heap waiting to be Cloned seems better.

I played against a lot of Grail rush in the league, both NEH and RP, and I was very grateful for my 9x draw cards.

These lists definitely fit into Val builds smoothly. Just add 3 Blackmails and 2 Same Olds and you have a tier 1.4 deck instead of a tier 1.9 deck.

1 Like

No doubt. Allowed me to rush against Noise. Good catch.

Yeah, that was me. Iā€™d say that much of the ā€˜sloggy-nessā€™ is made up for by the fact that the early game Blackmail threat is real. On the other hand, if youā€™re regularly spending all of your Whizz creds (like at least 50% of the time), heā€™s probably got a similar economic advantage plus a trimmer deck overall. Overall, I think the reality is that ā€œgood stuff Anarchā€ is strong right now, and thereā€™s room to play around with the ID (and a handful of card choices ā€“ e.g. Plascrete) based on expected meta.

2 Likes

yeah, I mentioned your deck b/c Iā€™ve also sleeved it up and had good luck with it. I think valencia is the way to go if you want to take desperado, cause when stuff comes out in the right order it gets insanely efficient. but whizz definitely has play with grimoire and this slightly more ā€œbig rigā€ playstyle.

Sorry to necro this thread a bit. But could someone who has driven @spags list comment on using Earthrise rather than Wyld Chronotypes. I guess thereā€™s a certain amount of cards coming out in a reasonable order associated with Wyldside and Chronotype. But it just seems absurdly efficient (half the install cost of 3 hotels, lasts forever).

The main issue I can see with the pancake engine is that it force you to play your card, at least 2 per turns, and thatā€™s not something you always want.

4 Likes

You donā€™t have to play cards you draw, and itā€™s not like in Criminal where your really want to save things like Inside Job for later. If the main issue really is ā€œoh no, my hand is constantly full!ā€ I probably should look at Pancakes as an engine again.

3 cards, 12 creds, 18 cards. Similar to QT, but in a more controlled quantity. Requires no future clicks. CF puts it out for 1. Doesnā€™t require combo.

Seems good to me.

2 Likes

Sure Iā€™m not arguing that Earthrise is bad, I just wondered if you tried the Wyldside/Pancakes option and found it worse. My experience of those cards has been overwheingly positive.

I havenā€™t. I saw it across from me twice. Thought it was OK. Doesnā€™t fit this deck, IMHO.

Ok. Iā€™ll probably try to jam it in somehow. Nice list. Congrats on a great showing with the master gamer.

1 Like