Upstalk Text Spoilers

Gun to your head, eh? XD

With infinitely recurring drip economy, like PAD Campaign, the key thing is velocity. If youā€™re only drawing enough econ assets to play one asset every couple of turns, any runner with a half-decent economy can keep up with running and trashing and put you on the back foot. If they start to stumble though, like itā€™s so easy to do against a deck like Untrashable RP, and the number of assets on the table starts to rise, itā€™s easy for the runner to fall into a death spiral and be completely overwhelmed.

With that in mind, the new NBN ID looks ridonculous. Mental Health Clinic is mental indeed. Installing an astroscript to keep the astrotrain rolling gets you a free card. Not sure I can believe this ID gets 17 inf too.

An Unregistered S&W '35, even ;).

1 Like

Iā€™ll start believing that ID exists when I hold it in my hands. :wink:

It really, really doesnā€™t. Man do I need to finish that article.

1 Like

Note scare-quotes and playful tone :D. But it seems a lot stronger with than without, so please do finish that article.

1 Like

What Iā€™ll say about the Lotus Field/Anarch relationship is that on the surface, you are completely right. However, its worth mentioning that, almost as if it was designed intentionally, each of the runner factions has an ICE type that they excel against, and one that they are weak against. Yog.0 was outside this paradigm because of how extremely relevant it was in the meta, but really in a vacuum is a pretty balanced card (at least, IMO). (tl;dr most decks go out of faction for at least one breaker anyway :/)

Yes, it is a soft nerf to Anarch, but I think you are way underselling the priority event. With Reina, Xanadu, and Rooks, you have the ability to play it like an FAO AND a blackmail, and it is relatively controllable. And if not controllable, gameable. I generally come up against cards that give your opponent a choice when they have more information than you do, but I totally think you can make plays with this card.

1 Like

Actually, while I agree Anarch could use the most love right now, I think Lotus Field is necessary against them.

Consider the fact that each faction has a best and worst icebreaker type.

Shaper: Best: Decoder; Intermediate: Fracter; Worst: Killer
Criminal: Best: Killer; Intermediate: Decoder; Worst: Fracter
Anarch: Best: Fracter; Intermediate: Killer; Worst: Decoder

Note that for each faction the upcoming stealth breaker falls in line with its best breaker, and the ā€œCeberusā€ icebreaker is for the ā€œIntermediateā€ category. I presume that Yog is supposed to be as bad as Aurora and Pipeline, and that Anarch is supposed to come up with alternatives for some Code Gates (and they have the most solutions when it comes to breaker alternatives). I think that Yog is better than FFG had intended, and that Lotus is long overdue at normalizing this balance.

10 Likes

Understatement of the Day Award goes to @Lysander.

I, for one, am continually sick of seeing Andy Sucker decks continuing to win, almost a year after they started seeing heavy play. If the ā€˜costā€™ to help upend this stale meta choice is a slight slap in the face to Anarchs, so be it.

Plus, this is just the tip of the iceberg that is Lunar. I remember similar, overly dramatic (MUCH more dramatic) by some of the top players/observers in the game when things like Caprice came out.

Iā€™m not seeing Caprice in every tourney winning deck.

(I know, this is 1INF, unlike Capriceā€™s 4. However, I consider this the Jackson Howard of the arc; a Corp bomb, quite necessary, dropped into the first data pack. I cheer the move, and like that itā€™s not just Neutral.)

3 Likes

I think @Lysander has it spot on here.
Iā€™ve been expecting for a while one or more ICE to appear that canā€™t be reduced in strength because Parasite and DS are too ubiquitous - there are very few tournament winning lists that donā€™t include one or both. Yog is a piece of that puzzle so it needed to happen.

This is a response to Andromeda more than it is Anarch. Run-based economy is way too efficient - Desperado, Datasucker, John Masanori, Security Testing, Dirty Laundry etc. Lotus Field simply means that these decks need to take a gamble or have a backup plan - in exactly the same way that Swordsman does for AI decks.

If the spoiler is true, will this ICE be everywhere? Maybe to start with. Itā€™s certainly very decent, but itā€™s at an awkward price point. Itā€™s too expensive for early game, when a Quandary will do the same job. Does it tax enough for late game? The efficient breakers get through for $1 and there are multiple ways to boost Yog.

I see as Iā€™ve been writing this @spags has Ninjaed me :smile:

1 Like

Domestic Sleepers (HB): Iā€™d have to see how it fits into decks, but tbh, I think this will be an auto-include. ā€œfreeā€ agenda points is great, even if it costs deck slots.

Next Silver (HB,2): Eh, itā€™s just so weak until you get 2 other NEXT ice out.

Lotus Field (Jinteki,1): As an Anarch player, iā€™m not really horrified by it tbh. Most of time times we go for AI breakers anyways. I think it hurts non-Anarchs (i.e. Anarch splash) more than Anarchs.

Mutate (Jinteki,3): Cute, maybe with precognition? TBH, I think Jinteki is past needing to run ā€œcuteā€ cards.

Near-Earth Hub: Broadcast Center (NBN): Good ID. Might be the best, but itā€™s a nice ā€œbetter because itā€™s flexibleā€ rather than a focused ā€œbetter because it does X and X is the best thing to doā€

Primary Transmission Dish (NBN,2): Not terrible, but I think deck slots are too tight for this and it doesnā€™t enable anything particularly interesting. Maybe more as an expensive splash?

Midway Station Grid (NBN,4): CRAZY.

The Root (Weyland,3): Not bad. Three recurring that you can spend anywhere on advance/install/rez is great, plus rez-use-trash puts the runner at a net loss. I definitely think itā€™s worth trying out.

Taurus (Weyland,2): I really like this, though it is a bit situational for its cost. Really wish this ended the run or was a higher starting trace, since 2 to prevent a hardware trash and continue on is not bad for the runner. 8 to trash a hardware? Maybe?

Mother Goddess (Neutral,0): Solid ice. Maybe too good for no influence. (But nothing crazy).

Galahad (Neutral,1): Not yet, at least.

Bad Times (Neutral,0): I think this is more relevant as a ā€œPlay two and Wrath of God the runnerā€™s rigā€ then a late game program snipe, but late game sniping isnā€™t bad.

Cyber Threat (Anarch, 3): Itā€™s a better/worse Forged Activation Order that costs no influence for Anarchs, which I think makes it a better FAO since they want it more than Criminals. I think itā€™s a better Stimhack for credit denial type Anarch decks.

Lamprey (Anarch,2): I likey. Iā€™ve already been mixing in some Djinns along with Deep Reds for my Overmind memory unit buffs, so this is easy to grab. I have really been wanting another credit denial card for Anarchs and with this I think you could actually go that route without Account Siphon (not saying its better, but that itā€™s plausible).

Paper Tripping (Criminal,2): Neat. I could see this in play if Bad Times becomes really big.

Power Tap (Criminal,1) : Ehh. Comparable cards (Compromised Employee for example) exist, and I donā€™t think this is better than those.

Nasier Meidan: Cyber Explorer (Shaper): Iā€™d have to mess around to see, a nice lateral ID though.

Social Engineering (Shaper,2): Might be good in Silhouette, but given the cost of 2, I think itā€™s just not worth the cost.

Leprechaun (Shaper,2): While we dream of things like Morningstar or Battering Ram, I think this is best for the disposable icebreakers (and solid at that).

Eden Shard (Neutral,1): Apparently this card is really good (i.e. costs influence, and can only have one in your deck). So, Iā€™ll just wait and see.

True. but Anarch imports its card draw and economy. It is not unreasonable that it gets better programmes (including ice breakers) to compensate.

Honestly, how is this is more than a gnatā€™s bite on Andy sucker? She just imports a single copy of a decoder and carries on.

If Anarch want to import the decoder they have to pay influence for at least two copies (or the tutors to find it). And that takes away from the influence that theyā€™d rather be spending on their economy or their card draw.I donā€™t think this is going to end the world. Itā€™s expensive. Knight gets around it. And yes, everything has a counter in Netrunner and a hard Parasite counter is long overdue. But I donā€™t see an argument to say itā€™s worse for Criminal than Anarch.

[quote=ā€œPeekaySK, post:16, topic:1292ā€]
Iā€™d expect orange to get some pretty amazing stuff (read: not Cyber Threat) in this cycle to compensate. And when you think about it, we already know it wonā€™t be their current, as thatā€™s just another ICE str reduction (and not a particularly great one, at that).[/quote]

I donā€™t think Cyber Threat is bad. But yes, Iā€™d feel a little less bad about Lotus Field if Inject or another big impact Anarch card had been in this datapack.

I think Scrubbed is being massively underrated by the way. Honestly, if the Corp doesnā€™t remove Scrubbed sharpish against a Parasite recursion deck, then theyā€™re in for a world of hurt. Instant trash anything up to 2 strength? With Grimoire, Clone Chip or Ice Carver itā€™s 3. Thatā€™s a lot of uncertainaty for the corp to deal with.

3 Likes

I feel like Criminals are glass cannons, except Iain. Iā€™m not sure what Iain is, yet. Iā€™ve never failed to end a game with less than 30c, but Iā€™m also not winning as many games with him yet ;).

Andyā€™s a little more resilient because of that 9-card start, but Ken, Silhouette, and Gabe are all boned to some degree if they donā€™t set up to dominate early.

Itā€™s really tricky, game-balance-wise, to figure out how to keep glass cannons viable but not too good. I have a small concern that theyā€™re trying to play rock-paper-scissors instead of rebalancing influence costs, but hey, letā€™s give that card some time. Nothing has been as bad as the early warning klaxons have thought.

2 Likes

I am more than fine with this. YogSucker leads to FREE blasts through Gates. At least something Blade with cost INF, and ANYthing else will cost creds to run with.

Also, more Andy lists are incorporating Parasite to allow them access after being ā€˜lockedā€™ out of Centrals. This helps v. that, as well.

Iā€™m honestly surprised a card like Lotus hasnā€™t dropped earlier.

(also, I would lean toward the veracity of these spoilers)

I think weā€™ve been importing zuul/gordian for a little while already. Or at least I have :).

1 Like

Am I missing something with Domestic Sleepers?
Everyone on BGG is raving about it, but it seems weak to me.

I get that itā€™s a ā€œsafeā€ agenda for the corp - gives nothing to the runner and can score out of hand. But wouldnā€™t we rather be using the deck slots for something else? This agenda is costing us 6 clicks for 1 point. Itā€™s an interesting card to put pressure on when threatening to close out the game, a bit like Hostile Takeover for Weyland, but classic fast advance can score a 2 pointer quicker than this so it doesnā€™t seem worth it. HB still needs to include all the 2 pointers anyway because Sleepers doesnā€™t count toward the agenda requirement.

I canā€™t see that this will make a real impression on the current builds. It seems to me itā€™s for a new archetype that will either trigger off forefeiting (a la Archer) or the number of agendas scored/stolen (a la Philotic Entanglement).

Shoot me down if Iā€™m way off the mark thoughā€¦

2 Likes

My friend Aaronā€™s T4 Worlds deck was Andy with the following breakers:

Blade
Ninja
Corroder

Hullo, core set!

The only use I like about it is as a replacement to GRNDL Refinery and Haas Arcology AI in a Red Coats build. Iā€™m not salivating though; itā€™s simply a good way to get an AP or two or force the runner to fight through it, potentially opening up a scoring window.

Though I think cards such as this that promote lose-lose scenarios are extremely good in principle.

1 Like

Iā€™m not heralding the apocalypse, but getting to 6 points versus 7 is a big difference. allowing you to better run all 2-pointers or all 3-pointers.

It counts as stealing an agenda for Midseasonā€™s without having to give up any points. Thatā€™s gonna suck.

Similarly, you can run it in a suite of all 3-pointers which will have low agenda density, 3 of which are worth zero points, you wonā€™t have to play to 9, and will always be able to fire off punitive counterstrikes (when applicable) at dangerous amounts of damage.

Iā€™m really loving DS. I can run 6 5/3 Agendas, with another 3/2 or 4/2, saving space. One can then IAA everything, and this turns into a trap. If not, one has a possible 1 point Agenda, or Archer fodder.

Iā€™m still considering 3 DS/3 Archer in NEXT, with the goal to be scoring DS turn one. Now, youā€™ve become Weyland without the Bad Pub. Not sure if itā€™s viable, but it sounds fun.

1 Like