What software powers this forum?

Not really. In the end, all discord stems from the failed restraint of the id by the ego and superego.

5 Likes

The one thing that Iā€™ve found annoying is that I canā€™t highlight some text and then click and drag it into another browser window to open a new tab and go to that URL or search the string if not a url.

For example when people post links in the streaming thread but donā€™t include the http:// so it doesnā€™t show up as a link. I can click and drag links to open up in another window fine but if itā€™s just plain text then Iā€™m unable to do so. I presume itā€™s to do with the quoting feature, of course this wouldnā€™t be a problem if people posted links as links instead of plain text :smile:

Not a massive issue as I can highlight then right click to search/goto in a new tab and then click and drag from that tab to a new browser window (I use multiple chrome users with different sessions logged into different accounts on the same sites which is why I do this in case anyone is wondering).

Recently heard Jeff Atwood on a Quarter to Three podcast discussing Discourse. Awesome stuff, great software. Obviously, I love the badges, as they love me.

3 Likes

If my website ever needs large forum support Iā€™m already sold. This is the best forum software Iā€™ve ever used on my computer and phone. Iā€™m thoroughly impressed.

3 Likes

I must say, reading stimhack.com is a pain for the eyes so I hope nobody changes this forum to ā€˜white on blackā€™.

2 Likes

i canā€™t tell what youā€™re saying. i think black or grey background would be a huge improvement

some people have issues with white text on black. I found some support for this from a stackexchange discussion, this was the key take away:

People with astigmatism (aproximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the ā€œdeformedā€ lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

Jason Harrison ā€“ Post Doctoral Fellow, Imager Lab Manager ā€“ Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group, University of British Columbia

1 Like

Ermā€¦ Do I speak English that badly? Itā€™s my second language but stillā€¦

Why so? Black background does make reading a bit more easy (mostly due to contrast), however, the moments after reading are extremely painful. I find it very hard to read anything after just reading half of a stimhack article. A completely white background is bad too, Iā€™ll agree to that. Grayish could do but maybe very light red-ish brown colour might be better because it fits the theme better (stimhack, brain damageā€¦ maybe grayish pink, kind of to represent the brainā€¦)

My local forum has very decent colours ā†’ http://forums.ludo.lv/ Not to advertise or anything (you wonā€™t understand a word :D) But just a nice example.

1 Like

I see where I went wrong, I was associating your ā€œstimhack.comā€ as this forum, whereas you meant the main page which has a different color scheme

1 Like

I think that the colour named Pantone 1555 C might suit this very wellā€¦ It will be different on different devices (no, it wonā€™t be black and blue, everyone!) but if you made it a bit lighter, it would serve as a nice alternative to the white background. Just my thoughts, though.