Where are all the "Big" names?

Well I’m here!

5 Likes

TS is really good. I’m kind of middling in skill at it. It’s got less variety than netrunner so I get tired of it more quickly, but it’s comparable in skill and strategy.

The steam version is really well done; mostly my complaints are minor annoyances about the interface, although I have also found a bug where junta doesn’t give milops when played during the headline phase. Anyway anyone who has it should add me (“bblum” as usual).

1 Like

Nice. As good of a game it is, it’s quite random. D6 coup attacks can be wildly swinging (if you roll a 6 on one, and I roll a 1, huge diff. If it happens multiple times, gg.)

Plus, opening hands, or hands in general, are huge. I’ve known after the first turn in numerous games whether or not the game was over.

Yeah, Slack is where all the kewl kids have been hanging out. I’ve tried it, but can’t get to grips with the constant stream of information (or noise small “n”) - the conversations has often moved on by the time I get to it. Damn new-fangled technology. Despite clearly looking 18 years old (I got totally asked for ID loads in 'merika - not intentional draws), I’m obviously not down with the kids any more.

7 Likes

How can I help ? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

oh man, I would read the shit out of some crazy Syntax articles.
“The Centurion: busting the myth of the 45 card deck (100 card maxX decklist included)”
"Reconstructing Perfection: the meta defining nature of Record Reconstructor."
etc. etc.

10 Likes

You know what, my last theory is “Devas are great” :slight_smile:

Just don’t read the 2c swap line, and consider them in-faction only. :wink:

1 Like

It’s an IRC chatroom.

It’s actually really oldschool, which is why I’m amused by people saying that it’s a new thing… IRC! Basically the trick is that it’s an ongoing conversation like at a party or whatever. You don’t need to read everything like the forum; just read the most recent stuff and jump in if you have an opinion or what have you. Basically you have to do that whole ‘human interaction’ thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Junta doesn’t give MilOps because it’s a ‘free’ coup - those don’t give MilOps whenever they’re played for the event - there’s a couple others like Ortega Elected in Nicaragua etc.

As for randomness of coup rolls, make as few ‘vital’ coup rolls as possible, they’re only ‘profitable’ (on average you get as much or more influence as you would have if you had just used the card to place influence) in 1 Stability countries, otherwise they’re just good for MilOps when needed.

Anyone wants a game I’m TwoShedsJackson there - about 400 games played.

1 Like

[/irony]

2 Likes

I think it does a slightly better job than netrunner allowing you to mitigate randomness with skillful play. There are enough opportunities for players to make lots of low-stakes die rolls to offset the impact of a few high-stakes ones. Turn 1 is where variance has the biggest impact (the iran coup and indo-pakistani war mostly) but if the turn 1 is not too extreme then die rolls after that don’t seem to play too big a role.

2 Likes

Bomblom wanna teach me to play twilight bullshit

5 Likes

The game got considerably more balanced once they tweaked The China Card and Aldritch Ames; I’d say this is definitely true nowadays. There are still some pretty swing-y headliners, but yeah… can be mitigated or planned for pretty well now that Ames doesn’t blow everything to hell :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, hit me up on slack when you’re free

I feel like you guys are making this thread a joke. Stimhack is having problem getting enough meaningful posts and everybody noticed it.

Not making an effort and just pointing them to slack is fine because no one can really fight against the trend, but randomly talking about another game in a thread that calling for good players like yourself posting netrunner strategy back seems like lack of respect.

33 Likes

I agree with this so I’m trying really hard not to post :triumph:.

Maybe if I weasel words I can have it both ways?

Anyway I’m gonna try posting in the forums more (not a big name but I think its a better place for discussion that’s permanent record).

:triumph: :triumph: :triumph:

13 Likes

This. I played for the first time in 2 or 3 months at the Durham Regionals and it was a shitty experience. The store didn’t even record the matches, unlike previous years. Our store has always had some really amazing players, who’ve always been keenly aware of the meta , and have always been extremely enthusiastic about strategy. Everybody used to have in-depth conversations between rounds over their games - in general, a great air of enthusiasm for the game. This year, no one at our store even really cared when they lost. They jus shrugged and said things like, “The game’s in a weird place right now” or “Eh, it’s Museum spam, what are you going to do?” There’s a certain ennui hanging over everyone. In fact, after the Swiss rounds, several of us got together and played Brew Crafters, and everyone agreed we had more fun with that than the tournament.

I’m going to wait and see what happens after this Regionals cycle. If there are some decent changes to the MWL, then I might get back in. If it’s going to continue on this way for the foreseeable future, then I’m out.

4 Likes

Durham regionals was amazing. I’m sorry it wasnt good for you and the group you came with. Atomic empire is the best store that I’ve been to short of the ffg game center. The judging staff was incredibly friendly and very knowledgeable and organized. The product (and beer selection) is very extensive. And the play space was more than ample for the players that were there. I love our local game stores up north, but when the only complaint I can possibly think of was that the lunch break was a little short, that probably means they ran a good tournament.

I can understand a bit of doom and gloom about the meta. However, I can say from experience that there was no such feeling in the DC camp. We knew that some cards were going to make a big splash. That was exciting for us as we tried to figure out meta calls, and counter-meta calls, for our decks.

If the meta stayed like it was in Durham, it’d get pretty stale as people teched for ig. But thankfully there’s a new utility card coming out in a couple of days that hoses ig pretty throughly, as well as several new spicy cards. I’m excited to see where things are headed and can’t wait to try completely new and off the wall strategies in upcoming regionals / anrpc events.

18 Likes

I’m sorry that you didn’t enjoy your games in the regionals. But if I didn’t play netrunner for 2-3 months and just showed up in a competitive regional tournament, I doubt i will enjoy much of it either. Tournament on this level is supposed to be stressful. It’s not compareable to a board game that supposed to let a bunch of people relax and enjoy for 2-3 hours. Our crew played Ladies & Gentleman at atomis empire the day before. It was so much fun but tournament experience is just different.

As @thebigunit3000 said above, the store is the best I’ve seen other than FFG HQ, they also gave out a huge amount of store credit for Top16 without raising the entrance fee.

The atmosphere I observed was not as negative as you stated above either. I played against some great local players, travelers from other states and celebrities from stimhack. It was exciting and intense. Durham 2016 was one of the best tournament experience I have ever had. It totally worth us taking Friday off and driving 5hrs and we will definitely come back again next year.

btw, nobody posts regional reports on stimhack anymore. sad days.

11 Likes

There have been some biggish changes since worlds, and as the current cycle progresses I can see things moving even more. Criminals suddenly seem to be getting a resurgence for example. I’d definitely like to see an end to boring Museum decks (non-boring ones are less of an issue, but harder to find), but I’m sure there’s something coming to sort that out…

That sounds just the job to me. There’s been a bit of a “are people really taking IG to Regionals?” vibe in the UK. New cards = moar fun.

Good point, well made. I used to do my self-indulgent blog (last year) but hadn’t got round to doing any for store champs this year, despite taking notes at several. I for one will try and rectify this for Regionals. Be good if others can manage some of the same - although I understand after a day of getting your head mashed played Netrunner (or two days if the current set up of the UK Regionals looks likely to continue) then it’s a big ask to get people to sit down and write words around it too.

3 Likes