I've been playing Netrunner since it was released and have been to a number of local tournaments, but I've never been to Worlds. I decided to go this year and was lucky enough to land a ticket in the mad scrum this week. Now I have lots of questions, mostly related to logistics. I didn't see an existing thread about this, but feel free to point me in that direction if I missed it.
1) Side Events - There are surprisingly few side events listed on FFG's side events flyer. I would assume/expect there to be plenty of other (more impromptu perhaps) side events or open gaming, but perhaps there's not space for that sort of thing? For instance, I didn't see any Netrunner drafts on there, but I would hope to find one there, or other Netrunner tournaments/gaming. I'd love to hear from people that have been before about the scope and type of side events that have happened in years past.
2) Arrival/Departure - The above question feeds into this second question, when do people fly in and out? I'd stay for the whole time, Wednesday through Sunday, if it seemed like there would be enough Netrunner to fill the long weekend, but if it's just Thursday and then pretty much done (since I have no chance of making the cut), I should book an earlier flight out. Definitely would appreciate input on this so I can book a flight soon. I don't play other LCGs (besides Star Wars), but I suppose I'd be happy to play FFG board games if that's something that there's space for and that is likely to happen on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday...
3) Hotel - There seem to be several hotels within walking distance (Radisson, Red Roof, Motel 6, Key Inn). I feel like I've heard the Radisson mentioned over the years as a place people tend to stay. Is that the best bet based on people's experience? Walking distance definitely seems like the preferable option by far, but I wouldn't expect to spend a lot of time in the hotel (given all of the gaming I'd rather be doing) so I don't care much about it except that it's convenient.
4) Food/Car - Did people find there were sufficient food/grocery options within walking distance or do people find that renting a car is helpful or worthwhile?
5) Airport - Unless I'm missing something, looks like the MSP airport is the place to go, yes? Looks like a bit of a hike to the hotels from there, but I'm assuming people just did a cab, uber, rental car, or airport shuttle. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
6) Miscellaneous - Any other tips or tricks from veteran attendees to a first-timer? Perhaps there's an old thread with this sort of thing that you can link to. I've been to BGG.CON for many years now, and I know it has some good threads with tips and tricks for newcomers, so I thought there might be resources out there for FFG Worlds or just general ideas/suggestions that people here might be able to share.