Worlds 2017 - Scoops of Hot Rotatoes and Fresh Ruses!

Also, check out or post in #Worlds StimSlack channel. There’s been some accommodation talk there too.

1 Like

Updated the thread to account for the new MWL2.0 and also with some tips on air travel.

2 Likes

Flag Football event added. I am working to get other side events and happinings added that have been missed. More updates to follow as I get info.

2 Likes

Things to see and do in and near the Twin Cities

A couple of people have asked me about things to do or see while they’re here.

Minneapolis Art Institute – Free admission! They have a massive, incredibly diverse collection. Pick a floor, you won’t be able to see the whole thing in one visit. In particular, their collection of Chinese art is pretty incredible.

Mississippi River – If you don’t mind being outdoors in Minnesota in November, the Stone Arch Bridge in downtown Minneapolis is very scenic, especially near sunset. The river runs >3,700 km all the way to the Gulf Coast, which is pretty cool to think about while taking photos of it.

Guthrie Theater – If plays are your thing, every show I’ve seen here over the years has been excellent.

Minnehaha Falls – A neat waterfall in a nice park. If it’s cold enough to be icy (unlikely), the waterfall looks especially interesting.

Sculpture Garden
– Outdoor, enormous art installations. Obviously, be aware of the weather when checking this out.

Live Music

There’s a ton going on pretty much constantly. Notables coming through during Worlds week include Arcade Fire, Macklemore, Tegan & Sara, and (for the Canadians) Our Lady Peace.

If you like live jazz, the Dakota Jazz Club in downtown Minneapolis is your best bet. I’ve also seen some cool local shows at Ice House, which is nominally a restaurant but turns into a bar with live music on some nights. My favourite venue in the Cities is probably First Avenue, though – I’ve never seen a bad show there (The Heavy, Purity Ring, Opeth, and others). There’s guaranteed to be something cool going on there during Worlds week, although I don’t recognize any of the artists on the schedule.

Sports

Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA) – games vs Mavs & Hornets
Minnesota Wild (NHL) – games vs Jets, Canadiens, and Blackhawks
Minnesota Vikings (NFL) – game vs Browns
Minnesota Twins (MLB) – season over
Minnesota United (MLS) – season over

I’ll edit more stuff into this between now and Worlds if anything comes to mind. I’ve kept it to stuff within the Cities, but Lake Superior (the largest freshwater lake on the planet) is a 2.5 hour drive north and well worth seeing, even though it’ll be colder there than in the Twin Cities.

3 Likes

Excellent work, @Ajar. I appreciate what you’re doing to help people have the best time while they’re here!

@vinegarymink and I are going to catch some guitar rock SAT night of Worlds, if anyone is interested.

http://first-avenue.com/event/2017/11/beachslang

1 Like

OP has been updated with the new info that @Ajar and @spags posted. Wasn’t sure where to put it, so I just changed a section to “Map of Surrounding Areas / Shit to Do”

1 Like

Where are the ruses and scoops?

Is FFG and/or a third party livestreaming worlds?

Here: Everything is Maw-some – Worlds 2017 Hype Preview - StimHack?

I’m, going to arrive on 30.10. already - so I hope to meet some of you for a few more games of training on the days and a bit of evening-something later
anyone up for some halloween-whatever? :smiley:

also, @spags - are there still seats open for your saturday-music-thing? :slight_smile:

1 Like

CodeMarvelous and Dodgepong are doing streaming for KoS. I think Marv was going to try to do a few of the lower tables in the cut. FFG always does the top table with commentary on Twitch.

2 Likes

It’s just a rock show. No seats. I’m buying tix at the door.

I meant “seats” with you to come / to take me
I’m happy to join you then :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am slipping in maintaining this. Sorry, peoples. I have finally added the ONR thing @ff0x is doing and BetRunner info. I plan on adding the new FAQ really soon (no access to FFG site at work).

So, are we getting any scoops this year?

Also are there any standings available for the plebs who aren’t on stimslack?

1 Like

Abram Jopp first after Swiss Day 1 on CtM and Val.

Lots of Shaper and Anarch. Huge number of CI with lots of Jinteki as well. Rumors that a couple of Apex decks were in contention for Day 2.

2 Likes

Standings for beginning of Day 2. Home town hero, TheBigBoy, pulling off an impressive lead.

3 Likes

Does anyone have the top 16 elim bracket? Quickly scrolled through the FFG stream and didn’t see it once

It was here: http://challonge.com/anr_worlds_top16