7-point CI shutdown puzzle thread

Do you think Power Shutodwn/Accelerated Diagnostics was not an intended interaction? This is quite clearly as intended as Astrobiotics ever was.

4 Likes

Also, who defines “what is Netrunner”? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m not trying to detract from any one’s ability to pilot these difficult decks. I’m just saying that in other games, loop decks are frowned upon. It killed Warhammer Invasion after all. And they had to make functional errata in Lotr to prevent the infamous Bofur loop.

1 Like

I don’t see how the term “loop” applies. There’s no loop, just a zillion (finite) extra clicks in one turn. Do you also hate the runner hyperdriver-ddos-falseecho-keyhole decks? Same principle there.

The cards were clearly printed with the interaction in mind; the deck will always be kept in check by the existence of plentiful hate cards, and it’s a unique win condition for people who are tired of playing psi games all day. Besides, overall corp win rates right now are around 40%. Let us have this.

8 Likes

CI is pretty much the poster child for NPE but this thread is probably not the best place to discuss why .The puzzels are an interesting mental challenge even for people who would never play CI. I personally don’t like CI because it’s non interactive and your success against it depends on your deckbuilding rather than your play but I’ve spent way too long trying to find the solutions for some of the puzzels.

1 Like

Back to the puzzles. How many clots can you get through from this starting position?

Puzzle 20

In the game I figured I probably can’t get through two clots, which seemed likely considering the runner’s board position and decided to continue the game. Got some more money and cards, discarded the SfSSes to bring the costs down and then comboed through two Clots in the end.

Edit:

If you just had 1 extra card to reuse I could do it. Or, if you have a cyberdex trial instead of the 2nd CVS, that will get there:

biotic biotic ($8, *****)
mirror jje ($9, ****)
PS ($10, ***)
AD ($11) -> reuse(SFSS, SFK, ice, PV, PV), (new total: $13), biotic, RO AD
(new total: $8, *)
SFSS from hand (
)
AD -> mirror JVC, SFSS, trial ($6 remain, *)
Score ($6 remain, ****)
AD -> intern GFI, SFSS, RO sfk ($4 remain, ***)
3 SFK, score with CVS

1 Like

Ofc I have the trial. I’m not playing intentionally bad decks. :wink:

Well done. I was trying to modify your first attempt to get the trial into hand to be played for the last two scores (either with AM or by overscoring PV but that didn’t work out right). I had a feeling it was possible by utilizing Reuse, but those are always a bit tough to do live since you need to know in advance what you’ll need. In your example you keep a copy of SfSS which is kind of outside the box thinking (but looking at the complete solution, it can be thought that you played it in the 1st AD’s 2nd slot using the Biotic in its place, which is “normal”).

This is slightly off topic, but not by that much, so here it goes.

Had a game vs @RTsa yesterday - my hyperkate vs his 7ptCI. Accessed what I could to snatch a Food, then stopped running and dug for my powerturn tools. When the corp had over 20 creds, 5 cards in R&D, rezzed jackson, unrezzed card in one-iced remote, dbl iced R&D (unrezzed), single iced HQ (unrezzed) - I decided it is now or never.

So here is what I did:

• pop Hyperdriver
  • take $ from Tech Writer (yeah wasn’t too hot on creds, no ProCo this game)
  • install CyCy on R&D (Lady was already in play, so was Clone Chip)
  • trash rezzed jackson
  • index, put ABT on top, put Interns right after so he can’t easily diagnostics it
  • rerun R&D to steal ABT
  • run HQ, the corp rezzes Roto - here I might insta parasite and get an access and then rerun for one more access, but the odds seem bad so I bounce
  • install second Clone Chip hoping that double Clot screws up the combo

Naturally @RTsa comboed right through my dbl Clot nonsense with Cyberdex Trials.

Now the question is was my line of play any good? In retrospect I think it was quite bad. I see two better alternatives (didn’t have access to Legwork unfortunately):

a) Concentrate on accesses

• pop Hyperdriver
  • take Tech Writer $
  • CyCy on R&D
  • TME R&D (with R&D Interface in play it lets me see 4/5 cards from R&D) hopefully stealing 2pts putting me on 4
  • run HQ, insta parasite Roto
  • run HQ
  • run HQ
  • run HQ

b) Concentrate on combo distruption

• pop Hyperdriver
  • take Tech Writer $
  • index R&D, put ABT on top, Interns right behind
  • rerun R&D to steal ABT
  • run iced remote, see a Jackson, trash him
  • run rezzed Jackson, trash him
  • scavenge something to bring back Clot
  • install 2nd Clone Chip

What I actually did in the game was kind of in the middle of the two options. I know option a) would give me reasonable odds to win. What about option b) ? Is it viable, or does rich CI simply not care and combo anyway?

Edit:
Or maybe just pop Hyperdriver and run HQ 7 times??

It doesn’t matter how many Clots you can produce (or usually doesn’t, cap at two scores anyway, so only need two purges). Sacrificials are definitely a pain when combined with Clot.

I think option A is the best choice, but it’s still kind of weak. I don’t remember the numbers from that game, but if I had $20+, there probably were so many cards in HQ to not really have great odds of hitting two with four single accesses. Maybe try HQ, see if you hit the 2nd GFI or Jacksons and then decide what to do next. Warning though, getting all 3 Jacksons in the bin doesn’t necessarily win you the game even.

Right. If I recall correctly one third of your hand was agendas. So to snatch 2 of them in 4 single accesses I would be a little below 40%.

Edit:
@RTsa btw, does stealing both GFI mean insta-gg?

No, you can EffCom EffCom and then score two 3/2s with the Kaguya if you have enough cards/credits.

3 Likes

Well 40% without specific hate cards outside Clot seems pretty okay actually. Did you factor in the 1/5 that you don’t hit the agenda in RD, which crushes the odds in HQ?

So has anyone figured out a CBI turn around plan? Let’s say the runner makes his first run of the game to do CBI raid but it was their last click. They have Keyhole installed and can break into R&D so your best shot is to immediately combo. Because it’s magic puzzle land you can have any cards in hand and infinite credits before the raid. Can you combo out? Score will be awarded based on how few preinstalled Jacksons you need.

I think it just might be possible if you have a Jackson preinstalled. I’ll try tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Possible, no need for preinstalled Jackson.

[spoiler]Top cards of your deck after CBI Raid:
AD, Biotic, Biotic, Blue Level, AD, Jackson, Interns, Subliminal, Blue Level

Mandatory draw is AD
Click 1 play AD for Biotic, Biotic, Blue Level
You end up spending 6 credits but have 6 clicks left and your hand is AD + Jackson
Click 2 play AD for Interns (install Jackson from hand), Subliminal, Blue Level
You still have 6 clicks, earned 3 credits and have two new cards in hand
Now rez Jackson and spend 3 clicks drawing.

You end up with 3 clicks, 8 cards of your choice in hand (other than the events you just played) and one Jackson on the table. And only 3 credits poorer than you started with.[/spoiler] This should be enough to do most combos and way more than enough for the basic one.

Harder version could be what to do if you don’t have access to all 3 AD yet.

4 Likes

Nope, 40% is just for 4 individual runs to hit at least 2 agendas. Also isn’t Hyperdriver considered to be a hate card here?

Edit:
With possible R&D fail accounted for, we have a little below 35%. Caprisque odds to win.

Th best line of play here would be preparing for your run earlier and just keep the double clot menace while still not actually trying to use it.

For your turn the best line of play would have been indexing run R&D again then legwork saMe old legwork then run HQ twice

Sure, that’s a dream powerturn. Unfortunately I needed to work with stuff I had. No leg, no sot, drew hyper a turn before. Been digging the whole game.

Solution : Poke more turn 1-3, then stop running at all until you can actually make a power turn. Just dropping SMC + Clone is enough to put the corp on standstill, even if you don’t actually plan to use them. I’m also on 2x SoT, which helps a lot :slight_smile: