7-point CI shutdown puzzle thread

I think this one is not possible, unless you have a new technique for converting credits into combo slots.

I couldn’t do it after some experimenting, so I figured I’d pose it here. Glad to know I wasn’t missing something obvious.

Is it even enough to regular combo (no clot)? I think you need either a 4th installable (play JH from hand, mirror the other 3 during combo) or a mirror to play all 3 from hand. If you got a 2nd AD there might be some reclamation-for-jackson trick, but I think 5 cards is never enough.

Depending on the amount of cards you had in hand at the time, it’s probably a better call to make a makeshift remote with quandary / turing / whatever agenda you got than discarding everything and bait a run in the bin.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted puzzles here. It has really helped me start learning this deck at a deeper level, especially the Noise and Leela ones.

1 Like

Also, what are people’s thoughts on Visit in CI? Gets you your shutdown or Mirrormorph when comboed with biotic. And you already have the alliance requirement because of Kaguyas + Shutdown + Reuse. Just an idea I saw in some lists, wondering how it works in reality.

Several other CI players have suggested it. I think it sounds bad - seems like whenever you can pay the overhead of 6 and a biotic, you should be late enough in the game to find a power shutdown already, although I haven’t actually tested it. I’m mostly worried about the deck slot; I’d rather have more CVSes, restructures, or ELPs.

Well I used it today to fetch Mirrormorph once out of three games at a game night tonight, and it would have saved me from strike if I didn’t already have ELP in hand. (I messed up the combo because I put a subliminal in the first pile instead of biotic, but im still learning). Also, I’m on the fence about the trial, but it only works if they clot your EC (but I guess you get CVS when they have 1 clot use, and only use trial when that have multiples). But then they just clot your second score, then it’s an issue. CVS takes your interns slot in one of your piles, so you have to have double Jackson in your Mirrormorph. Can you explain how to use trial effectively?

During combo Trial is good when

1. There’s already a Clot in play
  2. Trial is in your hand and you have a click to play it (which doesn’t seem to be a problem usually)

It’s very rare that you have two CVSes installed at the same time anyway and if you need more than one CVS it’s pretty expensive, so whenever you can save that 3c, it’s pretty great.

I’ve also used Trial to wipe out Medium counters or even a single Parasite counter to buy myself one more turn for the cost of a single click.

Puzzle #23: Beat double councilman!

No clot, but the runner hasn’t run, so your sublim is in your hand and power shutdown is blank. If you don’t win this turn they will deck you with a silly false echo keyhole hyperdriver combo. :wink: Credit to @snake3yes for putting me in this position.

$19, 5 useless cards in RD, hand of diag, diag, SFSS, SFK x3, biotic x2, GFI, EC, PV, jackson x3, mirror, sublim.

Hint: Win in 2 piles.

[quote=“Solution 23”][spoiler]Sublim, biotic, biotic, mirror triple jackson ($11 left, **** clicks left)
Rez a jackson (see note)
Draw 2, draw 2, draw 1 ($11, *, R&D empty)

Shuffle mirror, biotic, interns & try to rez jackson #2 before ADing
AD → mirror (3 agendas, trashing a jackson), biotic, interns (JH, or nothing) ($5, **)
Now you got 2nd jackson rezzed for sure
Oh no! The 2nd SFSS is stuck in hand… SFK from hand onto EC, GFI ($5, *)
AD → biotic, SFSS (EC), SFK (EC, PV) ($0, **)
Score EC ($0, *****)
SFSS GFI, 2x SFK and win ($0, *)

note: No matter when the runner councils, you’ll be able to get 1 jackson up for pile 1,
but will have to reinstall a counciled jackson for pile 2. If the runner doesn’t council
you at all before pile 2, you just win without needing jackson #3.[/spoiler][/quote]

4 Likes

:joy: This one is nasty. I totally would not have seen this in a tournament.

Has the combo gotten any easier to execute on Jnet? The last time I played a Diagnostics deck, it was pretty difficult to play the Diagnostics piles in the desired order.

1 Like

Puzzle #24: Beat Leela + Councilman.

We are up against Leela, with her usual shenanigans. However this Leela has councilman and the runner is savvy enough to install it. The runner ran last turn. I figure this puzzle is easy but is quite possibly an example you would face IRL.

$15, and a hand of AD, BL, PS, SFK, GFI, EC x2, JH x2 and mirror.

Solution 24:

BL $4 ****
PS $5 ***
SFMM (JH, JH, EC) $6 **
res both JH (or only 1 if councilmanned).
AD (BL, RO(AD), interns(JH)) 12 ***, installing JH over old one if it was councilmanned, otherwise in new remote. Try to res. (If they don’t councilman here then congrats you have ressed 3 and they’ve done nothing, easy).
AD (SFSS, SFSS, interns (JH)) 13 **
Res JH, Score EC (all JH are ressed, so no bounce). Take clicks 13 *****
install EC 13 ****
AD (SFSS, SFSS, RO(SFSS)), 15 ***
score EC, take clicks 15 ******
install GFI 15 *****
SFSS, SFSS, SFK 15

1 Like

I’m pretty sure your given solution does not work if they wait to councilman your last Jackson. You can’t have two rezzed Jacksons on the table at once, as they’re unique, and it seems like you’re Interning a fourth Jackson to deal with the third unrezzable one.

Edit:

You can swap second pile Interns for a Subliminal though, forcing Leela to bounce your unrezzed jackson and using the subliminal-click to re-install him. That works if you don’t have anything else unrezzed on the table.

Rez one, shuffle, rez the other. The 3rd jackson would be installed during pile #1, so if that one gets counciled, you play your EC from hand to trash it and then the interns in pile 2 can reach it.

Oh whoops. I totally forgot about the unique Jackson thing. Thankfully bblum shows it can still work, although your other solution is also nice because it saves you a credit.

That EC will then be bounced by Leela, and you’re missing a click to do the combo, no?

Hmm, that seems to be right. Nice catch.

Super good tutorials and puzzles here and I’m learning a lot. I’m still wrapping my head around the Eden Shard problem (solution here: anrnz.com), but is there a way to combo through Eden + Councilman? If so, what combination of cards / credits do you need?

You’ve just asked for one of the hardest combos to break through. Here is an example at 23 credits and pretty much every card you possibly need already in hand.

BL 4 ****
BL 8 *****
SFMM(JH JH JH) 9 ****
PS 10 ***
res JH, use, res another.
If 1 is councilmanned:
AD (SFMM(EC, GFI, PV), BL, SFSS(EC)) (overwriting JH)

otherwise:
AD (SFMM(EC, GFI), BL, SFSS(EC))

if the corp pops eden shard here, play from hand anything that isn’t SFSS: Three scenarios here, 16, (** with EC at 2)/(with EC at 0 but SFSS in hand)/(* with EC at 2 and eden)
Use JH, res another if not previous councilmanned, install PV over if it was.
16 *EC2/**EC0/***EC2+eden

AD(SFSS(EC), BL, interns(JH)), and use 3rd JH. 21 (EC4)/(EC2+SFSS in hand)/*(EC4+eden on board)… or they might make you draw here: Definitely have to play BL and interns if they do:
(EC4)/
(EC2+SFSS in hand)

3 main scenarios here:
a) Eden shard on table, but EC has 4 adv and you have 4 clicks.
b) Eden shard is used, but you have 3 clicks and SFSS in hand with EC on 2 adv.
c) Eden shard is used, but you have 1 click and EC at 4 adv.
Its pretty clear that b becomes c if you use SFSS on the EC.

Therefore:
a) Eden shard still on table:
advance GFI, advance GFI, 23 **
score EC, take clicks 23 *****
SFKx3(GFI, PV) for the win. 23 ***

b) If eden shard isn’t on table, 3rd jackson can be used without losing:
Score EC, take clicks 21 ****
AD (SFSS(GFI), spare, spare) 21 ***
SFK x 3 (GFI, PV) for the win. 21

2 Likes