An archetype name question

thats a dumb ass question.

/s

sorry about that, but it proves exactly why there’s a ass in the name. because why not.

4 Likes

It’s just slang. Bad ass. Hard ass. Dumb ass. Smart ass. Reg ass. Yeah?

I hate that I posted this, but I won’t get rid of it. I will however, make it less readable. Read on if you want to see me make an ass out of myself.

Because chauvinists judge women by the shape of their posteriors and this was deep enough in the psyche of the man who named the deck that he, very unfortunately, applied it to mean “regular”. Its a bit sexist and I wish the community would move off of it and onto RegEx which gets the point accross and has a bit more computer science background, but at this point its stuck, and probably not for the better.

On the why pick awful names questions. Names that are catchy are easier to remember. And when you learn what they mean they offer you a shorter way of referring to something that others understand. There’s more flavor going on, which means more entertainment and more joy.

So, to answer your question: Because people like having fun.
And to answer the implied question: This isn’t always great because fun often offends other people or doesn’t meet their utilitarian expectations.

But since this is a game. Fuck utilitarian expectations. More Fun. Plz.

Who plays this game for fun?

1 Like

It’s also worth mentioning that the “harshness” of the name Reg-Ass MaxX was a bit in response to the hyper-fuck-your-shit-up decks that were en vogue shortly after O&C was released. Everyone was playing with all the Eater/Keyhole/Siphon/Wanton/Cutlery tools and seeing how MaxX could play with those. Reg-Ass MaxX was a response to those crazy decks as just a “regular Anarch deck” that had no weird tricks, just good Netrunner. Just a regular-ass MaxX deck.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure Reg-ass Maxx is the worst named deck in netrunner. It’s irritating to physically say, needlessly profane and fer crying out loud Minimum Punk Rock was right there, @mediohxcore!

8 Likes

I had no implied question in mind. This thread was genuinely asking how a couple of the names came about. I’m not looking to do a downer on any particular nickname, I just don’t get a couple of them.

Whoa, uh, are you serious? Either way, I don’t think this was appropriate. “Ass” is only about as profane as “hell” and is definitely not gender-related here.

8 Likes

Maybe its just all of the shit that’s typically on the internet and I jumped the gun, but as a casual observer that’s what it meant to me before I saw the explanations in here. Either way, its a crass name and while it may not be as bad as sleeving your decks up with scantily clad anime chicks; its not a warm & friendly way to say we’re a great community.

3 Likes

99% sure it’s a corruption of as

as Ben said, i always figured the RegAss Maxx title was a response to the ID’s initial dominant deck at the time that went all-in on Eater and was called the “Mother F****** Deck”, which you can’t roll your eyes at enough.

it’s like, someone would see your Maxx ID and ask “is this that stupid Mother Fucker deck. i s2g i will flip this table if you siphon spam me.” and you could respond, “nah fam, it ain’t even that serious. it’s just Regular Ass Maxx.”

1 Like

yeah, I mean the ass in general more than in this specific context. Like, it’s become a thing of its own now, but i’m 99% sure it was originally along the lines of e.g. Regular as fuck, and this got shortened and sanitized a little.

This makes more sense; no one called the deck:

But that’s because we have “family friendly game store” rules locally. I must have just missed this or never had the direct interaction to get the connotation of the name.

This debate has been raging ever since there have been things to name in customisable games. One faction thinks that having non-descriptive but unique names is better since it usually refers to a specific build built around a core - if you say ‘foodcoats’ you probably have labelled at least 80% of the deck with one word, unlike ‘taxing HB’ which can refer to any number of different decks, really. The other faction thinks having names that have no (or barely any) relationship to the deck adds an unnecessary barrier to entry to the competitive scene and muddies deck development since ‘foodcoats’ as a concept now monopolises space for HB taxing decks - rather than being able to talk about HB taxing decks as a whole foodcoats gets considered as a Platonic form of those kind of decks. I don’t think the debate will ever be solved.

Personally I don’t mind whichever as long as I can stop having conversations like, ‘What Corp deck did you bring today?’ ‘HB.’

2 Likes

I always had the notion that ass stands for Anarch Standard Stuff. @mediohxcore is it just my notion or have i read it/heard it somewhere from you?

both make sense to me

It really doesn’t have anything to do with women. Reg-ass (regular-ass) almost certainly finds it’s roots in “dumb-ass”, in which “ass” means “donkey”. I didn’t make up the term, “reg-ass”.

If you don’t like the name because it’s crass, call it something else, but don’t call me names because you have some false idea about where the term comes from. There are lots better reasons to call me names.

Personally, I think “reg-ass” confers the unspectacularity of the deck moreso than “regular,” which might lead someone to think it were the most common type of Maxx deck.

Ass just stands for ass.

10 Likes

It’s a fucking maxx deck built by me?

Minimum Punk Rock sounds like it came from NRDB.

2 Likes

OK, thread over.
Thread back on, what about supermodernism? That’s the one that always bugged me.

1 Like
2 Likes