An Entire Article About Street Peddler

Regardless of which situation is better, I think the marginal return over clicking to draw is higher when Peddler speeds you past cards you don’t want - several clicks of efficiency gained.

So a deck with dead draws (not necessarily already-installed uniques, but, like, Plascrete) is gaining more by including Peddler than a deck that wants to just play all its cards, which would prefer straight-up card draw to card selection (which, by the way, is why Criminals don’t play Mr. Li - they want to play pretty much all of their cards, so card selection isn’t as strong an effect for them).

1 Like

If your criminal deck runs desperado, kati Jones, security testing and multiple copies of some breakers, there are definitely cards you don’t want to draw. Not wanting to get into the Mr Li vs Earthrise fight here, but criminal decks definitely have dead draws.

Thanks you @vinegarymink and everyone else who made the article possible, including SneakySly and all the Stimhack staff. I appreciate your time and effort.

I was pretty sure Street Peddler was good, but your article really convinced me of it’s usefulness and power. I’ve only tried it a few times so far, so I’ll reserve further judgment for now, but I’ve been happy with how it’s performed in those two games.

Speaking of, I was using those decklists (particularly the Noise and Valencia ones) you provided, and I wanted to thank you for those, too. As a weaker player, having a strong baseline deck is a good way to get practice in just playing, and worry about modifying the deck later on.

So, again, thanks for your time and effort.

6 Likes

I’m still a little unsure as to your point. What is the effect of this ‘strict antisynergy’? Is it an argument against including a particular card in your deck? You seem to be claiming that you should consider not including a card if it isn’t achieving it’s absolute fullest potential, which is a very strange way to approach deckbuilding. Sure Gamble isn’t living up to it’s full potential if you put it in a deck without Prepaid Voicepad, but is that something you’re considering during deckbuilding?

I’m glad that you found the lists useful. I wasn’t sure about including them at first but @mediohxcore said that people like them and I guess he was right. Since people like decklists I was thinking that a useful, quick to write article might be just a compilation of the decks that are part of the current meta, with a little commentary on each. Is this something that people would be interested in?

14 Likes

I was actually thinking about making a new thread where people would discuss the ins and outs of the dominant archetypes, like, what deck requires you to be aggressive, what decks suit what players, you should play this if you like that, etc. An article like that would be helpful too!

4 Likes

Yes, I agree with @Humanoids; if an article about popular archetypes is something you feel like you can pull off, it really has the potential to help a lot of players. We already have a thread titled “Novice queries about PPV Kate”, so it’s not like there’s aren’t people with questions about playing with and against different archetypes.

It seems like there are lots of players, even skilled players, that just don’t see enough of a given archetype or have players in their area who are skilled with a given deck - anyone can pick up a Noiseshop deck and try it out, but it’s not the same as when you face someone who has been using the deck for several months.

Another thing one might consider is putting together some information about the differences in playstyles from different parts of the world. Including things like meat damage being big in the UK, traps being more popular in Europe, etc.

2 Likes

Erm, I’m not so sure about thaaat… but Brutchershop is quite popular here, as are different kill decks with many paths to victory

I’m not sure a single person could do that, since you need a vast amount of knowledge (gained both by playing in these parts of world and communicating with a lot of people). That, however, could be good for a thread, since it allows people to share their own experience and build up a big ‘datapool’.

Oh, I thought I had read something like that at some point here on Stimhack. I might be mistaken.

Yeah, that makes sense, actually. Even if one did want to write an article, it would probably be better to have people very familiar with each “region” contribute their own thoughts and experiences about it, rather than one person do it. Although one person could perform a compilation of such a…thing.

Yeah, seems reasonable. Will create a thread later and will post my own experiences and thoughts about the Baltic Meta (if you don’t object) :smile:

Well, could be. Also, Europe is SOO big :smiley: Since Cambridge PE was popular in Western Europe for a while, that might be what has cause this belief.

Well, we do tend to flatline people more than our overseas brethren… for the Europe is dark and full of damages.

3 Likes

Not at all, I agree with including the card, it’s still a great card in a bunch of decks. I was just correcting a factual point in the article.

If we’ve decided in deckbuilding that we want multiples of a Unique card or more situational cards, we’re committing to the possibility of drawing them anyway, and Street Peddler hitting 3 cards that you’ll never install is the same as playing a Diesel and hitting three duds. Street Peddler isn’t anti synergy with a deck full of those cards because we’d have to see them at some point regardless

Strictly speaking, Street Peddler does have anti-synergy with a deck full of multiples of unique cards. I’m not saying this means you shouldn’t play it, although you might want to consider tailoring your deck around this fact a little.

Would you agree that Diesel or Clicking to draw a card has the same amount of anti synergy with such a deck?

2 Likes

Insofar as the expected value of card draw, yes. Drawing cards is worth more if you can expect the drawn cards to have more value.

This sort of logic taken to the extreme leads to having no “dead cards” and therefore playing only one copy of Desperado.

Once you’ve made the decision to include duplicates of one-off cards, you want to compensate for that. Making draws more efficient (Diesel, Peddler) is one way to do it.

I’d argue that “filtering cards” like Peddler, Express Delivery or Mr Li are better at it than pure draw cards.

5 Likes

I’ll say it again, I think Peddler has a stronger synergy with decks with a lot of dead draws than with decks with all live draws.

If your average draw quality is good, then the two-click sequence “draw card, play card” is basically equivalent to the two-click sequence “draw Peddler, play Peddler (play filtered card)”.

It’s when your average draw quality sucks (because your deck is draw-order dependent, because your deck has a lot of situational cards, because your deck has a lot of dead copies of powerful uniques), and your usual sequence is something more like “draw card, draw card, draw card, play card”, that “draw Peddler, play Peddler” starts to be a big efficiency win.

1 Like

I cant add a lot to the discussion as some of it is frankly going above my head, but i will say including peddler in my pancakes noiseshop build certainly feels very much like im increasing the value of cards drawn after iv played peddler. If there are three duds on peddler (not happened once yet) then thats great still, i would of thought, as that gets those cards out of the way for wyldside to draw better cards.

You missed the most exciting interaction with Street Peddler – installing Activist Support on the Corp’s turn for a free bad pub!

It works the other way around, but it could still work out to the same result.

[quote]Resource • Install: 1 • Influence: 2
When the Corp turn begins, take 1 tag if you have no tags.
When your turn begins, give the Corp 1 bad publicity if he or she has no bad publicity.[/quote]

Now use Aesop’s to sell it before it gets to the Corp’s turn. :wink:

1 Like

I think @vinegarymink has already considered this. He discovered you could just play Val.

6 Likes

Using a specific ID has quite a large opportunity cost. Noise already Plays Aesops, wouldn’t he just love easier access to Blackmail for remote rontrol?

1 Like