ANRPC - the possible future of higher-end, fan-run, hyphen-filled tournaments

I need to talk with other organisers, because I don’t want to step on any toes. But I think Season 2 of BABW (which I’m almost certain will happen) will take place in a similar window over the Summer and early Autumn. The finals will hopefully be slightly earlier than last year (mainly so they don’t fall on my Wedding Anniversary - but also to give the winner a bit more time to sort out transport to Minnesota). I’m also going to start discussions with FFG OP earlier to ask to buy a ticket for our winner. I think/hope that they will be more amenable to cooperation this year given the success of last year, and the fact we’re no longer an unknown quantity. I think it’s somewhat foolish to compete with FFG’s store championship/regional/national progression. There’s a gap in the calendar between those events (especially in the UK) and Worlds. It seems like a good time to run the tournament series.

I’m tempted to run a 1 off event either between Store Champs and Regionals or between Regionals and Nationals maybe with different formats (cube, pairs, team, constructed) and perhaps crown an overall individual and team champion. But that would be a weekend event, without qualifiers. I haven’t even started organising that though, so details are very much subject to change. I need to ascertain interest levels too.

3 Likes

Tickets aren’t transferable in Minnesota because of scalping laws. Which is why you can’t buy a ticket for someone else. But good luck

2 Likes

I understand that, but FFG reserve tickets for previous Champions, US Regional Winners &c. So given sufficient time, I hope we can get similar treatment. We may not, but I’ll continue to ask. Fortunately, @Tim managed to get a ticket when the last batch were re-released this year. I hope next year it is easier.

1 Like

You’re probably way ahead of me, but just in case - the new Esdevium OP guy was at the Southampton tournament recently and seemed really friendly and helpful, given that they’re all part of the same company now it might be worth getting him involved in this sort of thing?

Is that Mike Budd? I’ve literally just made that connection and I’m going to phone him and chat tomorrow or Thursday.

I didn’t actually get his name. I am useless. Steve would know, they were running the tournament together.

I would be extremely up for a King of Servers-style Team Tournament. It seems like the best way to run a team tournament. I’m very much up for that sort of thing, it looks like a really fun and there hasn’t been anything quite like it in the UK yet (Quinns’s tournament was fun, but it didn’t feel particularly team-y, you saw your team less than in a normal tournament).

Of course, I’d love for it to have the ANRPC branding and stuff as well. King of Servers: UK Edition would be something I’d be extremely excited for.

7 Likes

We should really try to get some continental types to travel over. Make a KOS European Edition.

I also aspire to a Netrunner equivalent of Stahleck which has become the European Championship for A Game of Thrones and gets attendances that compete with Worlds. The winner gets a card design. I have no idea how to make that happen.

Netrunner is bigger (and better - but don’t tell them I said that) than Thrones, so we should have cool European events too.

4 Likes

Yes to a Euro King of servers! The event was amazing, even though I’d only just meant my (fantastic) team and I wasn’t really able to enjoy the bar facilities to their full given worlds the next day.

1 Like

Yeah, KOS is something I want to become an ANRPC staple. I will prob. run one in the midwest in the early spring, after SCs.

I agree that if another Circuit goes down, it should be between Regionals and Worlds. However, that goes against their ticketing, again, I’m sure. Going to reach out to OP early, as @MasterAir noted. I know they can reserve seats. I believe Quinns’ trip to Worlds was a last minute thing. I know he’s there to review/pimp FFG’s new product, and that’s cool. I doubt he had a Worlds ANR ticket before travelling there.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think finals by June would help ANRPC guarantee the best prize possible: a trip to Worlds. Timing would be tricky, but here in the Midwest United State, it seems lulls are between GenCon and Worlds and Worlds and the start of Store Championships. Summers aren’t too busy, but there were Regionals going on May-July.

I think for the US, ideally we would have circuits events August-October, late-November-December, and finals in March-April. And scatter events like team tournaments and drafts for seasoning.

2 Likes

I was wondering if there was any way to get my hands on a plastic NEH ID, even though the tournaments have ended?

HUNIT THOUSAN DOLLAH.

7 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I wanted to ask where the New England events are going to be held. I want to get to one of these (maybe we could have one in Aroostook to attract the New Brunswick community ;))