ANRPC - the possible future of higher-end, fan-run, hyphen-filled tournaments

I keep waiting for someone to set up a circuit in the northeast US and it keeps not having happened : (

3 Likes

Patience. It is coming, soon.

3 Likes

Are you FFGOP? Starting to sound like it… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No, but I know this guy: @Ziziros

The guy who wrote this?

The standard procedure for anyone looking to set up a circuit is as follows:

(1) Designate a president, someone who will be in charge of keeping things moving in the region, finding stores and TOs to run events, collecting money from the stores, and running the finals. It’s also helpful, though not 100% necessary, to have a second in command in the region, who, if possible, should not be located in the same place as you, so that you have reasonable communication between all the stores and TOs and the leadership of the circuit.

(2) Designate a region. This should be determined based on areas in close proximity that have high enough concentrations of Netrunner players to attract 15+ players to a qualifier event. All events should be less than one day’s travel from a central location where the finals event will be held. 8-12 qualifier events in geographically distinct places is what we’re looking for.

(3) Present your plan and get the OK from the ANRPC leadership.

(4) Pitch the circuit to the stores. The usual way we are doing it is $75 from each store running events coming out of the entry fee from the players. This money goes towards prizes for the finals. The stores can be left to do the prizes for the qualifiers, though it’s encouraged that you spice it up with something else when you can so that the Qs aren’t all just a GNK. If you’re looking to give out plane tickets from Europe, it might be a good idea to either have more qualifiers or charge the stores a little more.

(5) Promote the events and provide information about scheduling and qualified players after the events to the ANRPC leadership so we can keep track of things and update the website.

(6) Run the finals, which is usually a 2-day event with a last-chance-qualifier on the 1st day and the finals proper on the 2nd day.

As far as scheduling is concerned, a lot of the circuits are ending around this time, though people are looking to start some of the newer circuits some time in the winter/early spring. There aren’t any hard and fast rules yet; we’ll probably have a Skype meeting after the 1st gen circuits finish up to try to sync up with the new circuits.

Anyone who’s interested in starting a circuit anywhere should contact @aandries or myself. Email is maybe a better idea that stimhack, (dargenio.dan@gmail.com) but if you’re looking to just have some general questions answered, here is fine, or you can hit me up on Skype or Facebook.

5 Likes

One is in fact coming! Actually, the official announcement will be made in a few days. For a variety of reasons I was postponed in getting things off the ground, but it will be in full swing starting soon.

What area are you in more specifically? If you are interested in getting involved in any way, just let me know!

2 Likes

Boston/Cambridge - basically this store http://www.pandemoniumbooks.com/

Awesome. Stay tuned for the official announcements, but your area will definitely be included.

3 Likes

Sweet! This is good to hear. Got NYC? I can talk to peoples if you don’t.

that would be great! PM sent.

Pac NW is also mysteriously absent from ANRPC
unless I’m trippin

@BazooKaJoe has already started in on the Cascadian circuit, I believe.

2 Likes

Maybe for the next one, all the circuits could end right before tickets go on sale for Worlds.

1 Like

My plan for next winter/spring is either another Circuit, or just one large tourney in March/April.

1 Like

Any update?

Now that worlds is over, is it time to start discussing what’s next for the ANRPC? There are quite a few of us in the Madison, WI area that are interested in helping to put together/host an event if the plan is another circuit of events.

3 Likes

Absolutely go time. Hopefully the team will be huddling up soon to discuss next year’s plans. I’ll try to tone down the trophy . . . . .

. . . . just kidding :smiley:

1 Like

Hopefully the circuits will be done by the time World’s tickets open up, so the prize money can be used for it.

So are you thinking, ANRPC finals by June? It would be nice, but it seemed part of the excitement of the circuits was it was in between regionals and worlds when there was a lull of competitive play.

On the note of the 2016 circuit, if we start advertising with enough time for people to make arrangements, we want to start setting our dates by December for the 2016 year. Logistics-wise, it would be nice to advertise placements/prizes (top 3 receive invitations, etc.) when I coordinate with the store owner/set dates/make flyers. @spags has been a total workhorse for us in the Midwest between the GLC and then KoS, so perhaps you could appoint some lieutenants to help? :slight_smile: definitely not plugging myself here, but I greatly enjoyed setting up my event for the circuit last year so I’m interested in what plans and improvements for the 2016 circuit there are.

We should start discussing this; the “grand prize” is probably what many will be interested in foremost. Cash prizes in view of the inability to give a worlds ticket should be discussed- will the circuit have its own worlds tournament this year? Or perhaps cash prizes again with finals wrapping up by June to better guarantee a shot at a worlds ticket? I’m eagerly awaiting what the experiences of the 2015 circuit have taught us, moving forward.

6 Likes