Arkham Horror LCG Discussion

So this discussion actually leads me to bring up what is mentioned in the learn to play as the “Grim Rule” which is that anytime there are multiple ways a rule or card text can be triggered, you follow the line that puts you furthest from winning. The text of acolyte merely states that it spawns on any empty location. Therefore, following the Grim Rule, shouldn’t the acolyte HAVE to spawn at a location that is not on the route to a goal if possible?

If players are unable to find the answer to a rules or timing conflict in this Rules Reference

The Grim Rule is there to avoid spending an hour looking something up.

And yes, this could be a valid usage of the Grim Rule, however a quick look at the rules for “Spawn” shows:

If an enemy’s spawn instruction has multiple valid locations, the investigator spawning that enemy decides among those locations.

3 Likes

I found myself referring to the grim rule too often at first (while I’m solo playing, I can take the time to look it up). A lot of rules that I thought needed grim to resolve actually didn’t, with this being a good example.

The SO and I played our first scenario last night, running starter deck Agnes and Roland on Standard difficulty. The game wasn’t particularly hard, but it was fun. Definitely glad I picked this up.

Those of you who have played multiple difficulties: how big is the difficulty step between Standard and Hard?

I’ve found that the difficulty steps up a lot. Also, the second and third scenario are much harder than the first in the campaign. So I’d keep pushing forward on the campaign on normal.

Unrelated, my copy of Curse of the Rougarou showed up today. WOO.

1 Like

It’s a long one! Enjoy!

Rougarou is hard.

1 Like

That’s awesome! How did you get it? I want to grab it from the FFG store but the shipping to Canada isn’t great.

I just got it through the FFG website w/out issue as soon as it popped up (not sure how they deal w/ international shipping - I’m from CA, so no issues). Probably should have mentioned it over here.

Quick question to those who’ve played it (spoilers):

I’m unsure as to how to deal with the Forced text on The Rougarou. The text in question says, “After The Rougarou takes 1 [HatFace] damage during a single phase: …” My read on it is that the phase must end, then the damage totaled up, then - if over 1 [HatFace] - the move action occurs. I get this interpretation from the rules on Page 3 which state: “A forced ability with a timing point beginning with the word “after…” automatically initiates immediately after that timing point’s impact upon the game state has resolved.” So the “timing point’s impact resolved” bit is after the phase ending.

[spoiler]Anyway, I ask this because I’m soloing with my girl Agnes and I just lit that thing up like a Christmas tree very early (spend clue to engage, Forbidden Knowledge, Shrivel X 2, gtfo), and I wanted to make sure that I was just lucky rather than being a dick.

Edit: I’m thinking that I did it wrong… I blame holiday drinking.[/spoiler]

I got Rougarou at Arkham Nights.

I think the timing point is “after the Rougarou takes [that much] damage,” not at the end of the phase, so I think the Rougarou leaves as soon as it takes sufficient damage.

Regarding the Rougarou:

Yep! That is how I interpreted it. A valid strategy seems to be punch the Rougarou to get more clue tokens asap.

More Rougarou:

Yeah, I’m thinking that’s the intent / correct reading upon a sober review. I guess they phrased it with the phase language because of multiple inspectors piling on damage to hit the multiplier amount.

Thanks.

Full spoilers for Dunwich Horror deluxe expansion. There are some wicked cards in here, and the investigators are all cool as hell.

2 Likes

Nice! Any idea on a release date yet? It has to be January at this point right?

Yeah, on the sub someone said their distributor told them Q1 2017.

Man I can’t get over the good cards coming up. The candles, the fire axe, pretty much every single one of the investigators.

And fucking Rex Murphy. Dude is a reported cursed with bad luck so of course he has an additional deck building restriction that he can’t include Fortune traited cards! Poor bastard.

Rex is a favorite of mine from AH. He has always been super high risk, super high reward. My favorite play style.

Peter Sylvester, let me introduce you to your permanent friend, Agnes. May you always be drawn…

Is Peter that great for Agnes? You want to put horror on her to trigger her ability, and Peter can only remove horror from himself.

Record skip noise

Damn it.