Astrobiotics: Fun with TWIY*

A lot of my decks are now cutting Jackson in favor of Interns or Archived Memories. Jackson is great and all, but getting that SanSan back now instead of just having it in your deck can be very useful.

Then again - if youā€™re only packing Jackson for SanSan recursion, youā€™re probably doing it wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

agree, jackson is helping a ton with filtering a hand and get rid of agendas u dont need at the moment.

Really like this NBN deck but is 13 Ice enough? Maybe cut the 2x Subliminals for 2x Popup Window?

Jackson is draw and Runner bait for me. Heā€™s essential. Agenda protection and SanSan/Biotic recursion are nice to have, but I have yet to need him for that since I run three of each and Iā€™m drawing so many cards.

Iā€™ve been fine with 13 ice so far, mostly because I draw at least half my deck in most games. If I go 15 cards into my deck (opening 5 + 10 draws), I have a 91.4% chance of drawing 3+ ice. I could see swapping Subliminal for Pop-Up if it makes me more money, but Iā€™m not sure if it will.

Pull a Grim and another ice (Bastion?) And test two Data Raven. I know itā€™s counter-intuitive as itā€™s not ETR and you have no tag punishment, but in the current meta runners have been TERRIFIED of TWIY scorch and resource trashing in general. Itā€™s definitely worth testing; Iā€™ve fallen back in love with DR.

Otherwise, nice deck. Iā€™d personally drop the subliminals to go down to 42 if not 40 cards. And Iā€™d drop the third Jackson for a third Anon Tip, as it also aids first turn consistency.

I donā€™t know what it is with this deck but i canā€™t seem to win with it. Been testing it since yetserday and havenā€™t won once. Weird since my record with my HB deck is 15-4 on octgn.

Try this MN deck. Itā€™s 12-1 against skilled opponents, as @mplain can attest.

NBN Scorch/NA Hybrid

NBN: Making News (Core Set)

Agenda (12)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
2x Market Research (Fear and Loathing)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)
2x TGTBT (True Colors)

Asset (2)
2x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)

Upgrade (2)
2x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (18)
3x Anonymous Tip (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Restructure (Second Thoughts)
3x Scorched Earth (Core Set) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢ā€¢
2x SEA Source (Core Set)
2x Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (4)
1x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) ā€¢
3x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (4)
2x Enigma (Core Set)
2x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)

Sentry (7)
1x Archer (Core Set) ā€¢ā€¢
2x Data Raven (Core Set)
3x Dracō (What Lies Ahead)
1x Flare (Future Proof)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Fear and Loathing

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

1 Like

Thanks, a lot, i already won my first game with it.

1 Like

My current TWIY* for anyone interested:
(Still a work in progress)

TWIY* Blitz
NBN: The World is Yours* (Future Proof)
41 Cards

Agenda (11)
3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
1x Market Research (Fear and Loathing)
2x Profiteering (Second Thoughts)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (2)
2x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)

Upgrade (2)
2x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (13)
3x Anonymous Tip (Core Set)
2x Biotic Labor (Core Set) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Shipment from SanSan (Second Thoughts)
3x Sweeps Week (True Colors)

Barrier (3)
3x Wraparound (Fear and Loathing)

Code Gate (4)
2x Enigma (Core Set)
2x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)

Sentry (4)
2x Archer (Core Set) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢
2x Data Raven (Core Set)

ICE (2)
2x Chimera (Cyber Exodus)

12 influence spent (max 12)
18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
41 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Fear and Loathing

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

2 Likes

Data Raven as a threat and resource trash is interesting. I think all of the regulars in my meta know I run 3x Biotic, though, so I think Iā€™d only swap it in for tournaments outside my usual play location (which is the FFG EC). I donā€™t want to pull Bastion because it taxes Corroder, but I could pull a Grim and a Wraparound to test Raven.

Iā€™m still thinking about Pop-Up Window, too. One of those in front of R&D is going to make money all game longā€¦ or if the Runner Parasites it, thatā€™s 2c and a card theyā€™ve given up for it. Pop-Up competes for the Subliminal slot, but Runners do generally like to make one run against me if they can, so Subliminal is netting me 2-4c in a game. A Pop-Up on R&D can match that easily, but at the risk of increased up-front cost if it isnā€™t the first ice I put there. Iā€™m not sure if it would be better on average, worse on average, or the same.

Re: Jackson/Tip, I really like just laying Jacksons out on the board and letting the Runner spend a click to check it, look surprised when I donā€™t activate him, and pay 3c to trash him because they fear his toy-making genius. I throw Jacksons out there about as aggressively as SanSans. If I only had 2, I think Iā€™d want to be a little more cautious with them. OTOH, Iā€™d love to have the third Tip. Worth considering.

The deck is pretty incredible. Iā€™m currently undefeated with the deck after 6 games on OCTGN. I donā€™t know if i like the wraparounds though, most decks play 2 corroders and tear through them like paper. Iā€™ll try bastions instead , even though they are more expensive the deck seem to have the economy for it.
Itā€™s astonishing how few people expect scorched in NBN.

Iā€™ll try your TWITY list too, do you mind if i use those on stream?

1 Like

Iā€™d be honored for you to stream it! And Iā€™m always looking to improve my decks with othersā€™ input.

1 Like

2x Archer is a really nice add. Gives you incentive to score Breaking News or Profiteering early, since feeding either one to Archer is no big deal and opens a much better scoring window against non-Criminals. Against Criminals, though, I guess you can just put it in front of HQ.

Iā€™m wedded to 3x Biotic for the time being, though. Iā€™d be reluctant to do less than 3 unless I had a 40-card deck that still had 5-6x Jackson / Tip. I keep a hypergeometric probability distribution spreadsheet open when I brew decks and Iā€™m pretty paranoid about odds. I only went from 40 to 44 because I added nothing but card draw and economy. Iā€™d say Subliminal, Shipment from SanSan, and Pop-Up Window all compete for slots 42-44 in my deck.

Iā€™m still thinking over your suggestion that I switch my ratio of Jackson to Tip.

Edit: I should note that Iā€™m very new to TWIY* myself. I played against the 2012 World Champā€™s TWIY* twice in tournaments recently and he won both games, and after struggling a bit with my Jinteki PE deck in the FFG EC Store Championship and then looking at the OCTGN data, I decided to take TWIY* for a spin. My current list is the result of a lot of research, but limited testing. Still, itā€™s performing very well so far and is a blast to play. Itā€™s very, very satisfying to be the guy with the AstroScripts rushing agendas after so long playing the slow Jinteki shell game.

I too come from playing Jinteki for quite some time, and I have been proxy testing Harmony Medtech extensively.

As for your deck, the Grims and Tollbooth arenā€™t much good the first couple turns. Iā€™m 95% sure at the very least it will perform better by cutting a Grim in favor of a third Anonymous Tip.

Aside from that, I really think cutting to 40-42 cards is the way to go to ensure you find your first Astro early. However itā€™s very difficult to do so without cutting a Jackson/Tip, a SanSan, and a Biotic Labor. Anyways, SfSS has been hands down superior to Subliminal Messaging/Restructure in my deck, as it greatly broadens my scoring window and allows me to score an Astroscript via Biotic Labor OOH with only 5 creds. Its effectiveness decreases as the decksize approaches 44 cards however, since draws are more diluted and games get longer (in which case SM/Pop-Up is preferable).

1 Like

how do u find market research? it requires 4 advancement, so its not good target for sansan/biotic im afraid.

I have used it to close out a game via combinations of Astroscript/Sansan/Biotic, but youā€™re right about the majority of the time. Itā€™s primarily there simply to maintain the appropriate agenda density and keep my deck as trim as possible.

I actually like Grim early against Shapers; so far theyā€™ve been fairly willing to facecheck my ice, even though lots of people run Rototurret in TWIY*. I think they expect it to be Wraparound, because why would I put non-ETR ice in front of R&D? Iā€™ve sniped Magnum Opus with Grim on turn ~3 more than once against players fishing for Parasite rezzes.

Still, I bet I could do -2 Subliminal, -1 Grim, -1 Wraparound, +1 Anonymous Tip. That gets me down to 41 cards at 3x Anonymous Tip without compromising my Biotics, SanSans, or Jacksons. Iā€™m going to test that out. If I like it, I could then go up to 42 and try out one Data Raven.

1 Like

Below is my current build. Iā€™ve changed it a bit recently but Iā€™m not settled on it just yet.

I replaced Restructure with Subliminal. Subliminal is great when it works, especially with celeb gifts, but it can be a bit ā€œwin-moreā€ (if you believe in those things). Restructure was an easy cut as itā€™s sometimes hard to get to 10credits. Subliminal might get cut soon, popup is probably better.

I put in Chimera for Account Siphon, but havenā€™t needed to use it much yet. I was also thinking about corporate troubleshooter here. Generally I can get a ton of money off gifts, but it just puts a big target on my head, and once runners get that siphon money itā€™s hard to shut them down.

I was running Bastion and Eli, but I put in Wraparound to try and get out a Corroder as fast as possible. Itā€™s great if you can stick a Grim/Rototurret, which happens more often that I thought it would.

I originally had 2x Jackson, and 3x Anon Tip, but the occasional bad draw, and prevalence of Keyhole made me switch the ratio.

TWIY: Fast v1.2 (44 cards)

NBN: The World Is Yours*

Agenda (10)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Breaking News
2 Character Assassination
3 Project Beale

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Upgrade (3)
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (14)
2 Anonymous Tip
3 Celebrity Gift
3 Hedge Fund
3 Subliminal Messaging
3 Sweeps Week

Barrier (3)
3 Wraparound

Code Gate (4)
2 Enigma
2 Tollbooth

Sentry (5)
2 Grim
3 Rototurret

ICE (2)
2 Chimera

1 Like

Also, Iā€™m excited to try corporate shuffle with the next data pack. It can be tough to gift with agendas in hand, but doing gifts then shuffle to reset your hand seems pretty strong.

1 Like