BGG - "Geek Madness" - aka March Madness for Games

wrt to netrunners.co.uk, if you message Chimpster about it he’ll happily set up a board for you.

I will look into it next week, thanks for the tip.

Hey man, welcome! I only recently made the jump to stimhack too but it seems like a good place to be for interesting A:NR shit. Am I right in thinking you’re the guy who top 4’d at the brum sc after beating me in 3 back to back psi games on a naked caprice/agenda play? If so you’ve made me hate psi games forever.

Haha, yeah, that’s me. Sorry. So here’s the story of this game. 1st round, I’m paired with my mate, whom I play constantly and we know each other’s decks really well. This led to very tense two games. I won as a Runner about 3 minutes before end of the round with one epic R&D run. I was shaking after this game. So I went to the TO to report the game, and he says I’m playing against you. And then he adds “good luck” “Is he that good?” “Oh yes, he is”. So now I’m basically terrified. This is my first real tournament, my first “proper” round in it, and I’m facing a pro. There’s no meta in my city, I play with literally one other person, and that’s it. We started playing, and I was making incredibly stupid mistakes. I install advance advanced Celebrity Gift instead of Future Perfect, for example. At some point, I installed two Mental Health Clinics, and when my turn started, I wanted to rez them and realised that one of them is Caprice! So few turns later I decided to install an agenda on it, since I couldn’t find the second Caprice, and you were playing Valencia, so ICE was basically useless against you anyway. And yes, I won all of the psi games. It just happened that I’m quite good at psi. Only Alex won them with me in the entire tournament.

Nice to talk to you again, I hope we’ll have another chance to play one day.

3 Likes

Yeah I hope we can play again, it might have felt like you made lots of mistakes from your side but it seemed like you were making every move right from my end! It was really good to see a new face make top 4, it’s great that there are still good players out there just finding the wider community. Are you gonna be able to make any of the regionals? They’re all a bit awkwardly located for us in the Midlands but I’m gonna try and make some anyway (if I end up doing well enough that I miss the last trains home I figure I’ll be happy to pay for a Travelodge!)

By the way, Alex is on here too as Vinegarymink and I’m not sure if you played him but Andrew who was also there is Xenasis and he’s really active in these parts.

OK, we’re going really off topic here:) I’ll try to PM you, if I can find such option. Sorry for stealing the thread, everybody.

1 Like

It’s totally fine. Your opinion of BGG hasn’t been the only one and “The Geek” has been a much more open and positive community in the past.

Feel free to share your experiences here if you’d like to see change:

The best thing about Stimhack is that we’ve got literally every good player and barely any morons (you know who you are).

2 Likes

In fact, moving to stimhack is a part of my plan of becoming an actually good player, so here’s hoping you’re right.

1 Like

Yea but at least I can be funny sometimes.

I still find the rest of BGG to be a pretty open and positive community. I just don’t think a geeklist that pits people’s favourite games against each other is the place to expect much openness and positivity.

In any case, ANR has outgrown BGG. The site’s layout suits non-LCGs where most of the information can be managed on the (admittedly congested) game page with the links to the articles, files and game forums. But LCGs generate too much discussion about decklists, matchups and changing meta to be fit neatly into the space allocated on BGG.

5 Likes

Damnit, does he mean me :fearful:

1 Like

Au contraire - anyone who thinks they may be a moron is, by definition, too self-aware and humble to actually be on of the morons of which you speak.

2 Likes

BGG is just a gross looking website that’s kind of a pain to navigate. If that was my only alternative to talk about netrunner online, I honestly probably wouldn’t bother. Reddit is also terribly formatted for having in depth discussion about things (or basically any topic that you wanna talk about for longer than a few days).

Really glad Stimhack exists.

1 Like

Stimhack is a highly superior discussion platform about Netrunner, but BGG isn’t primarily a discussion platform in the first place, even less so one about a specific, particular game (living or not).

Feel free to insult the BGG Netrunner community in particular, but please don’t generalize in such an ignorant manner.

1 Like

How is “BGG is a gross looking website that’s kind of a pain to navigate” a generalization, and how is it ignorant? It’s a pretty ugly website and I always end up navigating it by using my browser history rather than the website because the links to where I want to go are scattered and tiny, (if they even exist), and the forum layout is labyrinthian.

3 Likes

Their website makes me feel like I’m having a stroke every single time I use it. Its absolutely awful. Its like someone made it in Geocities in the 90’s, and exported it for use and never updated it.

2 Likes

Oh come on, man… you know better than to leave the critical part of the statement out. I’m not arguing it isn’t that, but he said it’s just that - and this is the point I’m taking issue with.

Saying it’s ugly? No contest. Saying the Netrunner community there blows compared to this one? Sure. Implying or outright stating that BGG in its entirety has no value because of it? Ignorant and generalizing, because it ignores the fact that BGG is primarily a database of boardgames, and hugely important in that regard.

Don’t know about you, but I’m also a boardgame collector, player and general afficionado. For a lot of these activities (especially for keeping track of one’s collection, writing articles and reviews, and staying up-to-date on games you like), BGG as a database is just straight-up irreplaceable content-wise, no matter how ugly or dated its visuals may be.

2 Likes

I agree that BGG is an invaluable resource for board games. Whenever I hear about a new game, the first thing I do is go look it up on BGG. I don’t think anyone means to deny that it’s useful in that regard. I guess I missed the ‘just’ part of the statement you were criticizing.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if it seems like I’m being nitpicky about irrelevant shit, I’ve just been part of great communities that ended up losing what was great about them by wallowing in their superiority compared to someone else and artificially creating divides before, and I’d hate for that to happen here.

(ok, I’ll shut up now)

3 Likes