How do you appease more people and expand your local scene? You can offer prizes, but if they only go to the players at the top then eventually people might stop showing up. You can have MORE tournaments, but maybe people don’t actually like more tournaments.
In my experience semi-casual events that produce “fun competition” tend to expand metas the best. This is not something that has to replace hard-core competitions like ANRPC, SCs, Regionals or whatever, but purposely having fun with a game encourages others to play. I’d like for us to be able to share success stories and provide touchstones for others who want to have success stories where they pull 20+ people a night to their meet ups. So, lets collect all of our strategies. Here’s what I can provide:
- Each player can play 2 rounds a night that are scored.
- Each win is worth 2 points.
- The highest scoring players at the end of the night get bottom rung GNK prizes.
- So long as someone has gotten less prizes than others they are placed at the top of the list for prizes. So, if you’ve already gotten a pop-up prizes get passed down to those that haven’t gotten pop-ups yet. Eventually everyone gets pop-ups but those who are doing the best get a play set sooner than everyone else.
- At the end of the league, top prizes are handed out to the players who did best in the league over the course of the time period.
This pulled 18-26 people a night at our weekly meet ups for a period of a year. When we switched to montly GNK tournaments our numbers dwindled.
We have a new idea which is that we’re going to have a persistant league where wins are worth points and you can use points to “buy” promos when you feel like it. This hasn’t been tested yet. I’ll let you know how it goes if we do it.
What do you do? How successful has it been?