Chicago Regional post-tourney thread

Congrats, @anon50033301! Thanks for game. It was nice to see a lot of people in person that I’d only seen online before.

1 Like

All that’s left is for @anon50033301 to do a tournament report! Or else the tourney prize doesn’t count!

6 Likes

He destroyed all humans. The end.

6 Likes

Satirical documentary based on what happened in Chicago on Saturday.

6 Likes

So you don’t deny you’re not of this world then?

I felt so smart when GRNDL beat Valencia in 5 turns in my first game after the bye, and I was riding high after managing to beat @zolend’s NEH, but as it happens GRNDL was not the genius meta call I thought it was, or I’m not quite up to piloting a balls to the wall rush deck against Anarchs. 1-6 on the day. Brutal.

I also have no idea what I’m doing in the Kate vs HB matchup; I beat every other Corp but that was tough.

2 Likes

thanks everyone :grin:

it’s not a big secret to anyone who knows me that i really wanted to win this one for a variety of reasons. i knew i’d have a lot of fun meeting new people, as always, but i enjoyed myself more than i originally anticipated (again), and the turnout was great

i’d write more about specifics, but i’m currently working on finishing my move and getting my internet set up. i didn’t think anyone would really be interested in hearing about me or my boring decks. i’ll write a mouthful of a report once i’m set up or my phone cooperates with tethering the internet (and i’ll post it here? i think?)

appendix of cool people i saw / hung out with [note: i’m only allowed to tag ten people, so hyphens for people i shared a hotel room with]:

@spags played him in swiss, he stole one of my cards. cool guy
@Spaceman_Spiff
@GravyK really nice guy. i’ve seen him after the cut in at least one other regional, and somehow missed him. glad we played/met this time
-ItJustGotRielle
@FoilFlaws hooked me up with a tri-chair bed
@tvaduva
@Zolend and @AaronSolon i always try to dodge these two guys. luckily dodged aaron this event
@lucasli took me to the wire in an elimination game in the grand finals. i played him during the cut in louisville as well. i pointed him out to -eric_c as a tough opponent at the start of the tournament
@BSquared very nice guy. i believe it was his first big one, and i could tell he was exhausted at the end, as i was in my first
@Slakker
-eric_c my boi, fresh off his detroit win. i swept every game in swiss that wasn’t against him, and was convinced i was going to lose this tournament due to his whizzardry

there are a bunch of other people i’d like to mention, but i don’t know their stimhack ids (if they have them), and i can’t tag them anyway, so whatever

great event, cool prizes, cool people, strong field. excited to do this again at nats or worlds (now that i have a seat :grin:)

8 Likes

‘stole’ is such a strong term.

that’s true, you really just borrowed it for a round

2 Likes

Yeah, my RP deck loved it.

BTW, how did you resolve that? Go all the way through your deck, and your opponent let you LARLA for free? In reality, it thinned your deck by a card, and, in most games, would’ve gotten you a game loss.

Just curious. Really sorry it happened. If I Corp’d first, I would’ve found it immediately. I usually pile shuffle, as a way to get a good shuffle, and to count my cards. Just a tip to find if you’re short.

i do pile shuffle, and i saw i had 44 before the game started (it was our second game)

it didn’t take me more than a minute of looking at the deck before i realized the card i was missing was, infact, Levy. my opponent was very kind let me borrow her third Levy for the game. i needed an extra sleeve, though, so i had to resleeve (i had another set). as thanks for her allowing me to play the game and borrow her Levy (which was very generous), i resleeved my deck face up on the table, so she saw all the cards

7 Likes

Oh, shit. Super nice on her part. I saw you shoot a glance/glare at me at some point. Was it that? You should’ve asked. Sorry, but my first game was taking way longer than expected.

Good catch.

Scott was short a Levy, glad he was able to “work” that out. NO RETURNS.

2 Likes

i asked the judge, then i looked under the table we played at, then i looked at your game, but didn’t want to interrupt. i was about to go ask when she offered. seemed better than disrupting your game. my plan was to ask you after the round, then go buy another C&C if you didn’t have it (i need more clone chips anyway)

1 Like

Honestly, I needed a second LARLA that MaxX game, as I got shit econ my 2nd time through.

Please, next time, interrupt. It’s just ANR.

6 Likes

I did the same thing to Jimi at an SC earlier this year, but he didn’t see it until he got to the bottom of his deck and had no LARLA. His opponent let him play as though he had it in heap, but I still felt like a complete ass.

I’ve noticed he doesn’t sleeve that deck in purple anymore. (I always sleeve my main Corp in purple, ONR style.)

[quote=“spags, post:52, topic:4276”]
I saw you shoot a glance/glare at me at some point. Was it that? You should’ve asked. Sorry, but my first game was taking way longer than expected.[/quote]

you weren’t the only one getting glared at. after i played josh in the second round, i’d keep turning around the rest of the day, only to catch him frowning and shaking his head at me disapprovingly. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“spags, post:52, topic:4276”]
Super nice on her part. [/quote]

shout-outs to Eris (sp?) – took PE and Kit to 9th, barely missing the cut on SoS.

4 Likes

She was the highest finishing Chicagoan.

only one Valencia made it to the top 10. @lucasli was playing Escher/Sym PPVP Kate.

1 Like

Sorry, don’t know how i could misread this…
Thanks for clarification!