Clot (now 2 inf)

NEH babies taking offense in this thread. love it. if clot isn’t real this whole charade was an epic 3-bid psi game

Ha, it’s the glacier players who should be afraid.

There’s a new freight train of retuned runner decks coming down the tracks, ready to slam us.

6 Likes

I started playing NEH Astrobiotics since about a month ago, after being very competitive with many different architectures (PE cambridge, Dead Coats, Red Coats).

I’ve been on the receiving end of NEH one too many times and I decided that the best way to learn to beat it is to play with it.

NEH feels like EZ mode and anyone saying differently is just plain wrong. Against bad players it’s literally auto pilot. No other deck is auto pilot even against very bad opponents. Against good players who are constantly doing the RIGHT things, it’s still often 50-50% AT LEAST. I mean, I’ve ALMOST won a game vs somene good (sorry don’t remember who it was) in SHL3 where he scored 3 of my astros by turn 5 (I was 1 credit short of winning that game)

Yes, you can beat NEH if certain stars align, but those stars are usually PERFECT TIMING legworks or lucky RnD accesses/noise mills. The fact is that the runner has no idea where the train is and when is it leaving the station, and when to strike properly.

I am absolutely certain that taking a NEH is the right approach to take in any tournament (pre-clot) which has a mixed field of medicore and good opponents.

3 Likes

Big element of this.

How often do you really want to sit down across from Valencia Blackmail, or Opus Big-Rig Shaper?

NEH needed a counter (like every other archetype has). Maybe it didn’t need such a strong one. But Scorched Earth decks survived Plascrete (almost everyone runs at least one copy, and/or I’ve Had Worse, and Scorched Earth decks are thriving). I suspect NEH/Astro will return.

But let’s be realistic on at least one point: glacier corp decks haven’t exactly been well explored against slow runner decks lately. The basic design of most glaciers is to weather the initial storm of the NEH-tuned Runner deck, and score out behind ice/Ash/Caprice. There’s no room for fragile economy or fun toys because the early defenses are both more important and often sufficient. It’ll be a lot more interesting if the reverse is true.

2 Likes

According to your avatar, you’re always laughing.

4 Likes

I see it this way: if current glacier corps are equipped with fast defenses (to seal centrals from the quick runners), they are also more then equipped to rush stuff in remotes against slow runners. At least I hope this is the case, otherwise Clot takes down every single corp archetype by collateral :boom:.

1 Like

While it’s true that Glacier will suffer from the shift away from anti-NEH tuned runners, slowing down your deck is a lot easier than speeding it up, and Glacier decks will be able to compensate, at least to some degree, by playing more pain-in-the-ass ICE or adjusting to the meta in whatever way. RP can give itself a great chance to win even if the runner gets a ton of cash because of the hard EtR effects of Caprice Nisei and Nisei Mk II. The real threats against RP aren’t the slowing down of runner decks so much as Parasites eating the board and Switchblade making ICE irrelevant, (but those threats suck against Blue Sun, so I think a balance will be struck).

I agree that Glacier in general is going to lose percentage points across the board, but there are basically no other great options. Sure, people will play Never Advance and Tag and Bag and PE, but after Clot comes out, the collective Glacier decks, Blue Sun and RP and possibly EtF, are going to be more dominant than NEH ever was. All corps are going to lose points across the board against runners, but Glacier is simply the best strategy that isn’t FA.

6 Likes

If runners continue to not run any expose, just put some durn traps back in your drecks, ya dingus.

9 Likes

I’ve noticed that runners run absolutely everything these days. They’ve grown fat in their aggression and accesses. The buffet shall soon close.

7 Likes

I’d add “can we wait until we know the exact text”

Nope. 10char

4 Likes

This thread is pure speculation.

I heard that Clot’s text was in fact “If your opponent is NEH he lose the game unless he flush virus but he can’t, hahaha”.

Sources are talks on the internet, like Steelskin’s were. I wonder if ppl thinks “that’s rigth because it’s written all over the internet”.

Steelskin’s effect was still 100% accurate, as was every other spoiler, short of the names. This will be a thing.

7 Likes

I’m suspicious because I found funny that inf / cost change 2 or 3d ago, when The Valley is supposed to be released in 2 weeks in France (april 2 or 3 on Edge’s site).

Even if that card were for Tomorrow’s Universe (Sansan#6 - http://www.edgeent.com/sisimg/catalog/product_big/ubijcn28.png), I’m inclined to be cautious since I guess cards from a cycle are printed all together.

Did you just manage to spoil the name of the last pack while arguing a point?! I hadn’t heard that the name (even in another language) had been released.

3 Likes

That could probably be more appropriately translated as " The World of Tomorrow", which would fit with the whole “World Expo” theme.

3 Likes

Not really, I was speaking of Sansan#6, I just knew the french name.

After 27, just come 28. -edit- and no, that don’t work on FFG’s website (tried it).
Props to someone else, since 3d.

french links
http://www.run4games.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=7826
http://www.acoo.net/ => see the sansan section in card search.

edit - @Danwarr - “World” would have been translated by its mainstream fr translation “Monde”. “Univers” (fr) stands for mainstream translation of “Universe” (en).

For what it’s worth, Google Translate literally translates “L’Univers de Demain” to “The World of Tomorrow,” so you’re probably on the money.

Anyway.

Clot probably exists, but if it’s 2 influence it probably won’t be absolutely everywhere forever and ever amen. I think it’s going to end up having a Lotus Field-like effect on the meta: Lotus Field didn’t banish Yog to the binders as people predicted, but it gave you something to plan around when figuring out your route to victory. Clot seems like it’s going to have the same effect: maybe not everyone is packing it, but the threat is real, so you probably build your deck accordingly. Yeah, Glacier will get more popular. That’s not a bad thing.

Also, NEH is definitely not autopilot. Inexperienced pilot here: I took it to our Store Championship last week having never played it before, but knowing in general what to do. I basically coasted through Swiss, dropping only one game to heavy Maker’s Eye pressure, then lost at top table to heavy Medium pressure. Ended up 4-2 on the day with corp. Autopilot is not the word I’d use: it’s that the decisions you have to make with it are more straightforward. That and sometimes you just lucksack into a win. But that part can happen with any deck, really. (In round 1, I got Legworked on turn 2 or 3 with 4 cards in hand, one a Beale; he got everything but the Beale. A turn later I got Maker’s Eyed, the turn after I drew an Astroscript, the only agenda in the top 4 cards. C’est la vie.)

2 Likes

Actually, you’re right, Team Sponsorship might make this a deck again. Even without needing to purge all the Clots, it can open up a click or two to allow for more shenanigans. I’ll have to put some thought into this.

1 Like

To backtrack the thread a bit to the point before Syntax shows up,

Even “doing it wrong” gets you to top cut, where you can conceivably proceed to zombie through opponents. And that’s the crux of the issue - no need to “do it right”, when “doing it wrong” brings results just fine.

I’m here to call bullshit on this. I’ve seen it happen twice now, both times from the opposite side of the table. You can blame it on runner error, but I’d call bullshit on that, too. Both digging for 20 cards with only ever seeing one Beale and Legworking a 4-card hand to miss the agenda are things that happen with some regularity, and shouldn’t have the sole power to decide a game. Being relegated to having to snipe out an agenda from hand, despite having a complete lock-down on both RnD and any conceivable remote of any kind is just retarded, pardon my french.

Guess it’s better to be lucky than good :stuck_out_tongue:

(in case you’re wondering, in both those tournaments I was top seed from swiss by a comfortable margin (2 and 4 prestige, respectively), so presumably I wasn’t horribly outskilled by my opponents, either)

13 Likes