Clot (now 2 inf)

That’s probably a good thing. I’ve enjoyed the FA era, but I wouldn’t want this to be the game for eternity.

1 Like

The winner of the 25-player Atomic Empire SC was playing Noise/PE, so yeah, it’s still kicking it.

As Calimsha said, Astroscript is core to the NBN playstyle. It literally defines them as a faction. You can’t just say “it only affects Astrobiotics.”

1 Like

drop architect for heimdall 1.0 and look at midway station grid. maybe hive?

What faction is this?

Is Astro the most fundamental card to the NBN faction? I’d argue so; however, if Clot just makes it a blank 3/2, it’s still a 3/2. The majority of the time Atlas is a blank 3/2, and Weyland just has to deal with it. Now NBN has to deal with a blank 3/2; I don’t know that it’s the end of the world. If players cry and drop NBN cause it’s too hard, oh well, welcome to #WeylandLife.

That said, I personally think it’s better design to improve strength of the bottom dwellers, rather than topple the mighty. Some call this power creep, but I think it’s better to create diversity this way than creating silver bullets when an archetype gets too good.

1 Like

Claiming that Atlas is blank seems disingenuous when it gets a free counter from Titan. I’ve spent the past month getting run over by the Atlas train. In fact Atlas is far more powerful than astro.

I hope you don’t mean Titan FA. That deck sucks.

3 Likes

No Titan scorch.

1 Like

Its not blank, card can never advance a 4/2 or make trap spring harder. Also makes a 5/3 or beale look like an napd. And how many clots are we really talking about in a game? How often is shaper going to have the clone chips for recursion. Color me skeptical. Astro into plan B will be hysrerical.

2 Likes

If Clot somehow makes Plan B playable, I will agree that Clot is broken.

9 Likes

I’m just looking forward to slapping Clot into my Prof builds, where I don’t even have to sacrifice anything beyond a deck slot, hah.

5 Likes

To be fair, Leela fucked up 7 pt CI builds before Clot was even printed.

4 Likes

To be fair 7 point CI decks are solitaire and thereby shitty game play.

6 Likes

oh man, that’s almost like… an actual play! it’s so weird to think about NBN doing something besides simply waiting for the win cards to dribble into their hand :smiley:

That said, that’s a tough play to pull off! Another good trick though you be to play targeted marketing early and name SMC… forcing them to either hard draw and discard the clot (because ofc there’s only one in the deck) or give you your 10cr ahead of time!

Another thing to point out about clot is that it will not be in all decks - I don’t foresee crim running it at all (maybe with savoir-faire?), and even anarchs may run it less often.

Good question but I think theorycrafting is enough to know that splashing for clot you can still be strong against the rest of the field.

For the first game I simply took calimsha kate and swapped a legwork for a clot (then also made sure I had 3 SMCs by cutting deus X, but if you don’t like that, it’s calim kate so you can always play a 46th). I always felt like 1 legwork is enough in all non-NEH matchups, and you always have the 2nd SOT for flex if you wanna legwork again.

For the second game I theorized that stealth kit with RDIs, which is great vs blue sun and can pack switchblade as RP hate but is generally seen as too slow for NEH, could suddenly become tier 1 with a clot. All signs point to yes.

Something in between. The fact is, it seemed like everyone expected NBN to be able to muster up some kind of counterplay (whether through cyberdex or sfss or never-advance “bluffing”), and then when Rotom and I actually sat down to play with the card, it just didn’t matter. Even if the runner lets an astro slip through they still crush.

Ok, yes, we tested only the dedicated FA builds and put some tweaks on them. But if NBN has to bend over backwards with completely different builds, either we would have seen those builds before, or it means a huge drop in power level, no?

Hopefully I’ll find some time to test again, more focus on Ash, maybe the targeted marketing build Calim suggested (but no way am I splashing a Sherlock out of faction).

5 Likes

I am patiently waiting for that day to come. I have time. :smiley:

1 Like

The ICE Selection is mostly a placeholder. I think this kind of build want at least 17 ICEs and at least two third with 2 or more subs. Obviously, the Sherlock and the Ichi can be replaced for something else but I didn’t think a lot on that. I’ve an article on HB to finish before =D

I was half joking half serious it’s a decent play but it requires a lot of pieces and you still need something to punish them for all those tags i.e. psycographics, shoot the moon, scorch. In other words it might be playable but probably not at a tournament level.

I don’t see how it’s any different to traditional FA or Scorch.

They play along a different axis, sure, but they’re far from solitaire.

2 Likes

I think people focus on the overly intricate combo turn where they lost. That feels disempowering. I could especially see a shaper player with little disruption being kinda pissed at that.

Maybe that’s because I’ve been playing Edward Kim. “Oh you’re playing CI? Great!”

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s like complaining about NEH when it scores 4 points in a single turn.

It’s not solitaire, the game just ended earlier when he scored 2 Astros and had an active SanSan on board.

2 Likes