Come Cube Draft Against Us: Daily Draft! (Now on deckbuilding, like the best decks or make your own)

It would be nice if you could explain your thoughts on this!
In general I think Special Order (which is my guess on what you would pick since the pack was kinda weak) is a stronger pick than Sure Gamble, but I don’t think that’s the case in our deck that pretty much only runs AI breakers.

Scorched Earth, eh? Awkward. Well, I think we need some EtR ice now for sure.

On the runner side, I think the choice is between liberated account and crypsis.

Yeah that Scorch pick was unfortunate. I don’t think we’ll get a shot at ICE the calibre of Tollbooth very often.
I suppose I can see Scorch as a hate draft, but… meh.

Agree we need ETR, and I’m leaning towards Enigma as the best of what’s available to us.

Runner, I’m favouring (i.e. voting) Liberated Accounts, but I’ve a feeling Crypsis will get this one.

Indexing struck me as an immediately apparent dominant pick.

I’m curious as to who voted for Scorched Earth; it seems that everyone that’s posting was agreeing that Tollbooth was the way to go. I suspect the other draft participants of spiking the vote. I do think that it was an absolutely horrible pick.

I’d like the second Enigma here; it’s been correctly pointed out that we’re horribly low on end the run ice.

I like Liberated Account on the runner side; another inefficient icebreaker like Crypsis seems superfluous.

Looks like the Scorched Earth vs Tollbooth was our most contentious pick yet.

In terms of forum posts, it was 3 forum posts for Scorch and 3 for Tollbooth when I looked at the poll results (not forum posts). To put things in perspective, Scorch beat Tollbooth by only 3 votes.

except we already have keyhole and RDI and badly need the money for these things

1 Like

I still think Scorched Earth was the correct pick, it makes tagging alot better and we will have to include tagging stuff no matter if we want to or not. Tollbooth is really good, but in a world of inefficient breakers it’s not that much better than other high-cost ICE.

Scorch makes tagging better when you can construct a deck where you can find it it the correct order at the correct time in the exact window where the Runner can’t shake the tag on their last click AND is running at 3 cards or less.

It’s a terrible pick given what was available and our current Ice selection, except as a hate draft to keep it away from whoever got SEA source. Am I glad it is out of circulation after watch SEA Source pass us by earlier? Yes. Would I include it in the final 30 card deck? Possibly, but we can make a pretty strong case for cutting it, unlike Tollbooth.

I guess this is something of a meta-call. Given that there is so little tag punishment in the cube, I expect runners to go tag-me at some point in every game and would never cut Scorched. Even if you cannot kill, catching a breaker is almost as good in this format.

The matches after the draft will say which one of us was right :wink:

Yeah, if Scorch even makes it into the deck, which isn’t guaranteed…

Results of Day 18

Picks:

For the Corp pick, Enigma was the top choice over other ice, with 40% of the vote.

On the runner side, Crypsis beat liberated accounts for the pick, with 56% of the vote.

This brings your current drafts to look like:

Current Corp Cards

Agenda (5+5)
1x Efficiency Committee
1x Geothermal Fracking
1x Hostile Takeover
1x Accelerated Beta Test
1x Braintrust
5x Priority Requisition

Ice (9)
1x Hunter
1x Ichi 2.0
1x Himitsu-Bako
1x Muckracker
1x Eli 1.0
2x Enigma
1x Pop Up Window
1x Data Mine

Operation (4)
1x Scorched Earth
1x Closed Accounts
1x Power Shutdown
1x Green Level Clearance

Assets (3+2)
2x Private Contracts
1x Project Junebug
1x Eve Campaign
1x Haas Arcology Ai

Upgrades (1)
1x Red Herrings

Current Runner Cards:

Breakers(5+3)
1x Crypsis
1x Knight
2x Darwin
1x Atman
1x Aurora
1x Pipeline
1x Force of Nature

Programs(3)
1x Djinn
1x Keyhole
1x Magnum Opus

Hardware(3)
1x Spinal Modem
1x Doppelganger
1x R&D Interface

Resource(4+2)
1x Tallie Perrault
1x Crash Space
1x Personal Workshop
1x Access to GlobalSec
2x Armitage Codebusting

Events(6)
1x Sure Gamble
1x Vamp
1x StimHack
1x Tinkering
1x Test Run
1x Deja Vu

On to the next packs!

Corporation Pack 3 Pick 3 (8 cards)

1 Character Assassination
1 Project Vitruvius
1 Marked Accounts
1 Beanstalk Royalties
1 Neural EMP
1 Hadrian’s Wall •••
1 Muckraker •••
1 Chimera

Vote For The Next Corp Pick Here:
http://www.instant.ly/s/W46xG

Runner Pack 3 Pick 3 (8 cards)

1 Stimhack
1 Cyberfeeder
1 Dinosaurus ••
1 Bank Job ••
1 Alpha •••
1 Deus X
1 Morning Star
1 Sneakdoor Beta •••

Vote For The Next Runner Pick Here:
http://www.instant.ly/s/mc8D3

corp side: vitruvius is strong if we want to go with the fast advance plan, marked accounts is probably better than beanstalk if we want economy, and muckraker would be a good pickup now that we have scorched and closed accounts. Going with muckraker here, but the other two options are strong as well

runner side: a second stimhack is always nice, especially with crypsis, although sneakdoor beta leads to some interesting options

Believe me, if I had wanted to spike the vote, I wouldve voted for Tollbooth so that I could get the Scorched Earth, because it would be amazing. Thats the opposite of what happened.

2 Likes

Tag Punishment is built into the game. If people are running any resources at all, they’ll be shaking tags just to protect those. If they see the Scorch in R&D or via HQ access, they’ll be shaking tags because of that. They’ll know a Snare could be anywhere, since all the Snares drafted will probably see play, and lots of Net and Brain damaging cards will be around, so running at low hand size will still be rare.

The Scorch pick over Tollbooth is a too cute by half play, overestimating the number of solid EtR Ice available to draft because constructed play makes non-porous EtR Ice seem more common than it actually is.

R: Beanstalk. Burst economy is vital for corp start.

C: Stimhack. Bank job is pretty cool too.

With all the AI we’ve sucked out of the pool, I’m really liking Chimera to force a full Gear Check on the Runner. It is perfect for our scoring remote, but if it ends up on a Central it can soak up the more dangerous run events. Vitruvius is also very good considering the 2/3 agendas we’ve been taking. Beanstalk is also very solid. Any of these would be fine, but my preference is Chimera.

On the Runner side I like the economy of Cyberfeeder and Stimhack. Morning Star and Sneakdoor Beta are also very tempting but the MU required just isn’t there. Ultimately i’m picking Stimhack because it will work well with Crypsis and with Personal Workshop, but also because by taking 2 we make our server math on the Corp side a little easier.

A Muckraker is missing in the list of our corp cards.

For our corppick, I would stay away from Muckraker since we already have one and a Hostile Takeover that gives out Bad Publicity and don’t want more if we can help it. Considering how late we got the other one, it’s also a good chance that it will wheel (7th pick I believe). I’m happy with the Marked Accounts here, it’s solid economy in draft and a good asset to help us fake 3/2 agendas and we have very little economy so far (and it’s a better pick than Beanstalk). If we don’t get the Marked Accounts I would say that Hadrian’s Wall, Chimera and Vitruvius are all reasonable picks that I wouldn’t be unhappy with.

For runner please vote economy, we need it badly. A second Stimhack is good, but a Cyberfeeder is probably better (since we will be running Darwin). I think there is some merit in Bank Job as well, just pick one of them! :wink:

As a final comment on Scorched:
We already have a Muckraker, a Ichi 2.0 and a Hunter, it will make the final deck (as will Closed Accounts) even if we get no additional tagging which is very unlikely. And I don’t believe in the fact that resources will make the runner remove tags, it might be so earlygame but there are not that many vital resources (Kati, Pro. Contacts, Workshop) that make untagging worthwhile in the long run when there are only two scorched and two closed accounts in the entire cube for 6 players. Armitage is very playable even when tagged if you install and grab 6 credits, so is Liberated Accounts.

Currently I think this is what I would play in our corpdeck:

Agenda (7)
1x Efficiency Committee
1x Geothermal Fracking
1x Hostile Takeover
1x Accelerated Beta Test
1x Braintrust
2x Priority Requisition

Ice (8)
1x Hunter
1x Ichi 2.0
1x Himitsu-Bako
1x Eli 1.0
2x Enigma
1x Pop Up Window
1x Muckraker

Operation (4)
1x Scorched Earth
1x Closed Accounts
1x Power Shutdown
1x Green Level Clearance

Assets (3)
2x Private Contracts
1x Eve Campaign

Upgrades (1)
1x Red Herrings

Total: 23 out of 34 cards so we need about 5 good cards from each pack. I think we want 4-5 additional ICE and 2-3 more economycards in the next 18 picks. Another two-point agenda and we can cut another Priority Req, A 1-pointer and we can cut the Efficiency Comittee.

1 Like

The Scorch is definitely a solid include - if nothing else, trashing 4 cards is totally worth the 3 credits.

Oh man, if only we had a Clone Retirement to remove that BP and turn on Archers…

(ok, I’ll stop now :D)

1 Like

It’s possible that my innate (and unswitchoffable) British sarcasm hasn’t translated particularly clearly here, so just to be clear I have absolutely no suspicion of any ‘vote-rigging’. We’d have probably ended up with Sundew if that was the case!

I’m also happy to accept that you would have liked the Scorched, but I think that’s dependent on what else you’ve got. If you’ve taken some (or all) of the Midseasons or SEA Source that we’ve seen go round, or potentially even picked up one Scorched already, then it’s definitely a very strong pick. We don’t have any of those however, so I’ll take some convincing that it was the right selection in our situation. I’ll happily be proven wrong, however.

Back on topic, I’d like Project Vitruvius on the Corp side, as a third 3 for 2 gives us a lot of options when picking Agendas.

On the runner side I think Bank Job is a strong pick, given that almost everyone will probably end up playing Marked Accounts so it should have an easy target.