Come Cube Draft Against Us: Daily Draft! (Now on deckbuilding, like the best decks or make your own)

Some notes on the cards we just got, plus the Post-AstroScript agenda situation.

After getting Wall of Thorns, Data Pike is our 6th piece of non-porous EtR ice, giving us roughly a coin flip’s chance of catching 2 of those in our opening hand, accounting for mulligan. Not bad at all, though we may want a couple more if we want to rush agendas. Another Muckraker is ok although I’m unsure of actually rezzing 2, since the BP is tough. Strong case for including 2 if we’re gunning to apply tags. Foxfire is a sure cut.

Personal Touch is really solid with Darwin or Crypsis. Alpha could be useful to reduce the workload on Crypsis, lowering the number of virus counters necessary per run. Public Sympathy makes using our twin Stimhacks less reckless, and removes a potential counter for the single Scorched Earth.

I’m very happy with the “Auto-Picks” and think 3 of the 6 will make the cut.

On to the Agendas …

Here’s the current spread - assuming AstroScript is taken:

1x Project Vitruvius
1x Accelerated Beta Test
1x Braintrust
1x AstroScript Pilot Program
8 points

1x Efficiency Committee
1x Geothermal Fracking
4 points

1x Hostile Takeover
1 point

With another 1 point Agenda we meet the 14 Agenda Point minimum and can play all 2 point agendas. An alternative strategy would be to take an additional 2 pointer, preferably another 2/3, and lose the Hostile Takeover. Not sure if i like the idea of losing HT.

Conceivably if we can find another 1/2 it would become possible to score an early AstroScript and then fast advance the remaining 4 points. Not a bad option to have.

1 Like

With the Wall of Thorns, Datapike and Muckraker we are very solid on ICE for the last pack (13 ICE if we exclude the Data Mine). The economy in the current pack is not great so we are very happy to get the strongest agenda in the cube. Astroscript Pilot Program and nothing in the pack comes close. For the wheel Chimera probably won’t make it around and I suspect Pop-up and Eli to be gone as well. This leaves us with one of the three operations (Archived memories, Power Shutdown and Successful Demonstration) and any of those will probably make it into the deck.

So we have a Magnus Opus in our deck which means that Self-Modifying Code is actually another copy of Magnus Opus that can be Stimhacked into play as well as Clone Chipped for additional fetching and I won’t say no to that. While a Corroder is a OK pick (more about making sure noone else gets that Corroder) we don’t actually need it much since we run a AI rig and are ok with including a Aurora to deal with Wraparound. Gorman Drip would be very nice in our deck but likely won’t make it around the table. Pretty weak pack, don’t expect anything great from it when it comes back to us again.

Edit:
Assuming we pick the Astro here, the following 28 cards will probably make the corp deck:

Agenda (7)
1x Project Vitruvius
1x Astroscript Pilot Program
1x Geothermal Fracking
1x Hostile Takeover
1x Accelerated Beta Test
1x Braintrust
1x Priority Requisition

Ice (12)
1x Datapike
1x Wall of Thorns
1x Data Raven
1x Paper Wall
1x Ichi 2.0
1x Himitsu-Bako
2x Muckracker
1x Eli 1.0
2x Enigma
1x Pop Up Window

Operation (5)
1x Restructure
1x Scorched Earth
1x Closed Accounts
1x Power Shutdown
1x Green Level Clearance

Assets (3)
2x Private Contracts
1x Eve Campaign

Upgrades (1)
1x Red Herrings

That leaves us with 6 slots for the upcoming 9 picks, any 2 or 3-point agenda will not help fill those as they will replace current agendas. If we cannot get 6 good picks the most likely cuts to make the deck are either Hunter or Project Junebug. We probably want no more than two additional ICE, a third ICE should replace our current weakest ICE (Muckraker).

1 Like

I think that even if we where to get another 2/3 agenda it’s probably better to play Hostile Takeover and Priority Req than use Efficency Committee and Geothermal Fracking. 3-2-2-2-2-2-1 is a pretty good distribution since we can focus on scoring the two-pointers and the runner will still need to grab three agendas.

Results of Day 24

Picks:

In a unforseen level of unity, both Self-Modifying Code and AstroScript Pilot Program were the picks with 100% of the vote each. Wow!

This brings your current drafts to look like:

Current Corp Cards

Agenda (7+5)
1x Project Vitruvius
1x Efficiency Committee
1x Geothermal Fracking
1x Hostile Takeover
1x Accelerated Beta Test
1x Braintrust
5x Priority Requisition

Ice (14)
1x Datapike
1x Wall of Thorns
1x Data Raven
1x Paper Wall
1x Hunter
1x Ichi 2.0
1x Himitsu-Bako
2x Muckracker
1x Eli 1.0
2x Enigma
1x Pop Up Window
1x Data Mine

Operation (6)
1x Foxfire
1x Restructure
1x Scorched Earth
1x Closed Accounts
1x Power Shutdown
1x Green Level Clearance

Assets (3+2)
2x Private Contracts
1x Project Junebug
1x Eve Campaign
1x Haas Arcology Ai

Upgrades (1)
1x Red Herrings

Current Runner Cards:

Breakers(6+3)
1x Sharpshooter
1x Crypsis
1x Knight
2x Darwin
1x Atman
1x Aurora
1x Pipeline
1x Force of Nature

Programs(4)
1x Self-Modifying code
1x Djinn
1x Keyhole
1x Magnum Opus

Hardware(5)
1x Clone Chip
1x Akamatsu Mem Chip
1x Spinal Modem
1x Doppelganger
1x R&D Interface

Resource(5+2)
1x Same Old Thing
1x Tallie Perrault
1x Crash Space
1x Personal Workshop
1x Access to GlobalSec
2x Armitage Codebusting

Events(7)
1x Sure Gamble
1x Vamp
2x StimHack
1x Tinkering
1x Test Run
1x Deja Vu

On to the next packs!

Corporation Pack 4 Pick 2 (9 cards)

1 Clone Retirement
1 Dedicated Response Team •••
1 Ronin
1 Shock!
1 Corporate Troubleshooter
1 Anonymous Tip
1 Sweeps Week ••
1 Sherlock 1.0 ••
1 Swarm ••••

Vote For The Next Corp Pick Here:
http://www.instant.ly/s/hTTSr

Runner Pack 4 Pick 2 (9 cards)

1 Scavenge ••
1 Feedback Filter
1 HQ Interface ••
1 Omni-Drive •••
1 Creeper
1 Garrote •••
1 Leviathan ••
1 Omega •••
1 Datasucker

Vote For The Next Runner Pick Here:
http://www.instant.ly/s/jKYTv

Definitely Datasucker, and I actually like Sherlock in draft format.

DATASUCKER!

We can tutor for it with Djinn, and it makes both Atman and Crypsis and especially Darwin so much better.

Feedback Filter … not as good without PE around. HQ Interface could provide excellent pressure to get defences spread around but Datasucker does that with greater utility and less expensively… Omni-Drive - no … Creeper - no although i think it is a surprisingly decent late pack junk draft pick … Garrote is excellent and is one of those Icebreakers you like to Stimhack off SMC or Clone Chip but Atman has that slot locked up, especially with Datasucker around … Leviathan is worse than Force of Nature … Omega - don’t we already have one of those? … Scavenge is excellent in our deck especially if we can link it up with Test Run but still not as good as Datasucker.

Corp pack is very interesting.

I like Clone Retirement because it allows us to score a mere 2 agendas inside remotes, and only 1 agenda from remote if it is an early Astroscript. That said, the strategy falls apart if the Runner nabs one of the 1 pointers out of R&D or if they win before we can score the second one.

Dedicated Response Team requires more protection than we can casually offer it and if the Runner tags themselves we probably prefer to Closed Accounts or Scorch than install DRT. It is additional tag punishment though, and we’ve taken a fair number of tagging tools. Makes Data Raven even better.

Ronin I like because it can look like a 3/5 and bait the runner into a taxing remote run, but unlike a trap, it has some bite if the runner ignores it.

Shock! is a little too limited in this format, where i think we will see fewer archive runs, especially since we’re taking a Keyhole and Datasucker out of the card pool. Maybe take it as a hate draft later on to help our Datasucker?

Corporate Troubleshooter likes Big Economy and I’m afraid we don’t have that. It is a very good card though that can win games and it is difficult to ignore.

Anonymous Tip is excellent draw power to help find agendas quickly, which is something our Deck seems to want to do, but not good enough to take this early in the pack.

Sweeps Week is a solid Economy card that we can use! Would be a great opening hand draw and if the Runner is running low on cards, they are Scorch Vulnerable.

Sherlock is too expensive for our economic base, although the traces and consequences are good enough that it will probably drain lots of clicks that could be exploited by our other Bioroids.

Swarm is too expensive for our economic base, and we already have enough Illicit Ice already.

I’m probably going to suck it up and pick Sweeps Week. If we had better Economy right now, I’d go with Corporate Troubleshooter or Ronin or Dedicated Response Team or even Clone Retirement, but I don’t think we do so Sweeps Week it is and hope one of those other cards swings back around. I don’t think I’ve been as unsure about a draft pick as this one though, so I am going to wait until hearing some other opinions before picking.

2 Likes

datasucker is an easy slam pick

corp side, I don’t think we need much more ice, especially because we’ll probably wheel a hunter off that last pack, and that plays well with what we have.

clone retirement fixes the bp problem of muckraker, and lets us drop the 3 pointers entirely. sweeps week is ok as an economy option, but isn’t great without more economy operations to spam with it. I think i’m going to go with clone retirement

1 Like

Given how much crap I’ve given you all over how we didn’t pick the wheelchair dude earlier, I feel obliged to vote for him now :smiley:

Also, Datasucker.

1 Like

Except for the Datasucker the runner pack is kinda sad, Omni-Drive or Scavenge could make the deck if they wheel but I expect Feedback Filter, Leviathan and Omega to be whats left in the pack by then.

Corp is alot more interesting, there is a good case to be made for both Sweeps Week and Clone Retirement.

Clone Retirement would round out our agendas quite well to allow us to cut that last Priority Req as well as remove the Bad Publicity that we will likely get. On the other hand our deck is really lacking in economy and Sweeps Week is solid economy, with a bonus that we might reach the Restructure credit treshold. For me the pick here is Sweeps Week.
While it’s not great, we might play the Dedicated Response Team if it wheels since it combos well with Data Raven and we need something to fake agendas. Shock!, Troubleshooter and Anonymous Tip would also be interesting if they made it around but I expect them to be grabbed before then.

I think our current runner deck (25 cards) is looking pretty good with no major gaps, and even if we don’t wheel anything from these packs we won’t have to play anything bad in the deck. The next cut would probably be Deja Vu, the last cut was Pipeline.

Breakers(6)
1x Sharpshooter
1x Crypsis
1x Knight
2x Darwin
1x Atman

Programs(4)
1x Self-Modifying code
1x Djinn
1x Keyhole
1x Magnum Opus

Hardware(5)
1x Clone Chip
1x Akamatsu Mem Chip
1x Spinal Modem
1x R&D Interface
1x The Personal Touch

Resource(4)
1x Same Old Thing
1x Personal Workshop
2x Armitage Codebusting

Events(6)
1x Sure Gamble
1x Vamp
2x StimHack
1x Test Run
1x Quality Time

1 Like

“In draft you build a 30 card minimum deck out of a 40 card draft.”

Yes, but out of our current 35 runner cards those are the ones I would want to play with, which leaves 5 needed cards from the 9 cards we have left to draft (and so far we have gotten good stuff up to pick 6). As a general drafting technique I like to envision my deck at the later stages of drafting so I know what cards are near the cutoff and what’s missing from the deck.

As an example this means that unless one of the packs we haven’t seen yet are full of crap, what we get back from the pack we opened will challenge Deja Vu for a deckslot. if one of the packs are rubbish then that pick have to be better than our last cut (Pipeline).

Edit: Realized that Personal Touch and Quality Time was not in the list I used, and should be included. Both Aurora and Deja Vu are outside the deck then.

1 Like

Results of Day 25

Picks:

Sweeps Week prevailed over Clone Retirement with 55% of the vote.

Datasucker crushed any of the other picks, with 80% of the vote.

Current Corp Cards

Agenda (7+5)
1x Project Vitruvius
1x Efficiency Committee
1x Geothermal Fracking
1x Hostile Takeover
1x Accelerated Beta Test
1x Braintrust
5x Priority Requisition

Ice (14)
1x Datapike
1x Wall of Thorns
1x Data Raven
1x Paper Wall
1x Hunter
1x Ichi 2.0
1x Himitsu-Bako
2x Muckracker
1x Eli 1.0
2x Enigma
1x Pop Up Window
1x Data Mine

Operation (7)
1x Sweeps Week
1x Foxfire
1x Restructure
1x Scorched Earth
1x Closed Accounts
1x Power Shutdown
1x Green Level Clearance

Assets (3+2)
2x Private Contracts
1x Project Junebug
1x Eve Campaign
1x Haas Arcology Ai

Upgrades (1)
1x Red Herrings

Current Runner Cards:

Breakers(6+3)
1x Sharpshooter
1x Crypsis
1x Knight
2x Darwin
1x Atman
1x Aurora
1x Pipeline
1x Force of Nature

Programs(5)
1x Datasucker
1x Self-Modifying code
1x Djinn
1x Keyhole
1x Magnum Opus

Hardware(5)
1x Clone Chip
1x Akamatsu Mem Chip
1x Spinal Modem
1x Doppelganger
1x R&D Interface

Resource(5+2)
1x Same Old Thing
1x Tallie Perrault
1x Crash Space
1x Personal Workshop
1x Access to GlobalSec
2x Armitage Codebusting

Events(7)
1x Sure Gamble
1x Vamp
2x StimHack
1x Tinkering
1x Test Run
1x Deja Vu

On to the next packs!

Corporation Pack 4 Pick 3 (8 cards)

1 Character Assassination
1 Posted Bounty
1 Experiential Data
1 Archived Memories ••
1 Psychographics •••
1 Pop-up Window
1 Tollbooth ••
1 Ichi 1.0 ••

http://www.instant.ly/s/NjCcs

Runner Pack 4 Pick 3 (8 cards)

1 Running Interference ••••
1 Tinkering ••••
1 Dyson Mem Chip
1 Prepaid VoicePAD
1 Rabbit Hole
1 Grifter
1 Underworld Contact
1 Garrote •••

http://www.instant.ly/s/yv3XT

just get the posted bounty, no we don’t need more ice, we’re good on ice, we don’t have to stop siphons in draft

dyson mem chip or garrote are both good. depends on how tied we are to the ai rig

Another very interesting corp pack, and it’s so strong that we might get something that makes the deck on the wheel.
While I would like to have another Pop-up Window or a Posted Bounty, it’s probably just better to grab the Tollbooth here (and I do want 1-2 more ICE). The only cards that we probably wouldn’t play from this pack are Character Assassination and Psychographics.

On the other hand the runner pack is weak and the few good cards are not something we are looking for. With both Djinn and Spinal Modem I don’t think we want to play both Dyson and Akamatsu. Not sure if Grifter is playable in draft, might be worth trying. Otherwise I would pick the Garrote here and we might play it, probably a stronger hatepick than Tinkering. Going to let this pick stew for a while.

tollbooth for great late game ice
dyson mem chip for memory

The image makes it look like we selected Clone Retirement.

Corp:

Character Assassination is worse than our existing 2/4s, which are potential cuts.

Posted Bounty is useful with Scorched Earth but without double Scorch is a problematic play.

Experiential Data could be an interesting bluff, and it certainly taxes the runner. Upgrades are good and I hope we get another look at this one later.

Archived Memories enables a Double Scorch if the Runner starts playing tag-me.

Psychographics wants a bunch of other cards that we do not have.

Pop-up Window is my favourite Ice in the game and a brilliant economy card. We already have one and a second would generate a larger, more reliable windfall. Also increases our chances of getting an early pop-up - this card isn’t nearly as good to play later in the game.

Ichi 1.0 is an excellent piece of Ice but we have already have his brother who I like more.

Tollbooth is one of the best pieces of Ice out there, and I think finding and paying for the Femme to deal with it in draft won’t be easy. I hesitate to think what was taken before this.

Runner:

Running Interference is interesting but potentially a dead draw if the Corp has already rezzed their expensive Ice.

The original Tinkering pick has turned out to be something of a waste given the AI only strategy. We don’t need a second.

Dyson Mem Chip is less useful than Akamatsu and I think our MU situation is under control. We should probably break down our MU constraints more specifically.

Let’s assume we find Djinn absolutely last:

Base MU + Spinal Modem + Akamatsu = 6 MU

Crypsis + Knight/Darwin + Atman + Datasucker + Magnum Opus = 6 MU

That’s a pretty solid rig, with Knight and Darwin getting space depending on the situation. Knight probably won’t last forever anyway, and Sharpshooter/SMC are likewise transient. We can always trash Magnum Opus for Keyhole if we want to go aggro, and with anything resembling good timing with Djinn we can keep Datasucker + Keyhole/SMC sitting on it. If we see Wraparound the answer probably isn’t Aurora, but Knight, which is already accounted for.

Prepaid VoicePAD helps us with 4 events. Best case scenario is that it saves 2 credits. Pass.

Rabbit Hole on its own is expensive Link. If we wanted Link we would have drafted Access to Global Sec earlier.

Grifter is a destitute man’s Desperado. The idea of gaining a credit each turn is swell but the tempo hit from playing it and paying for it is difficult to justify.

Underworld Contact is largely unplayable without base link.

Garrote is a hell of a breaker but would require additional MU we don’t have. Maybe we could squeeze it in if we didn’t have Datasucker, but if the Djinn is on the bottom of the stack the rig becomes Garrote, Magnum Opus, Atman, Datasucker with no room left for Crypsis/Darwin/Knight/Keyhole. The ideal situation isn’t much better - Garrote, Atman, Crypsis, Knight, Djinn - with Datasucker and Magnum Opus on the Djinn - making it impossible to play Magnum Opus and Keyhole at the same time in the late game. Squeezing in SMC without trashing things would also be a frequent issue. This is without getting into the issue of the hefty install cost.

With no great choices, I say we take the Dyson Mem Chip in order to allow ourselves more flexible choices later.

1 Like

Thanks! Fixed.

Results of Day 26

Picks:

Tollbooth was the corp pick, with 89% of the vote.

Dyson Mem Chip was the runner pick, with 67% of the vote.

Current Corp Cards

Agenda (7+5)
1x Project Vitruvius
1x Efficiency Committee
1x Geothermal Fracking
1x Hostile Takeover
1x Accelerated Beta Test
1x Braintrust
5x Priority Requisition

Ice (15)
1x Tollbooth
1x Datapike
1x Wall of Thorns
1x Data Raven
1x Paper Wall
1x Hunter
1x Ichi 2.0
1x Himitsu-Bako
2x Muckracker
1x Eli 1.0
2x Enigma
1x Pop Up Window
1x Data Mine

Operation (7)
1x Sweeps Week
1x Foxfire
1x Restructure
1x Scorched Earth
1x Closed Accounts
1x Power Shutdown
1x Green Level Clearance

Assets (3+2)
2x Private Contracts
1x Project Junebug
1x Eve Campaign
1x Haas Arcology Ai

Upgrades (1)
1x Red Herrings

Current Runner Cards:

Breakers(6+3)
1x Sharpshooter
1x Crypsis
1x Knight
2x Darwin
1x Atman
1x Aurora
1x Pipeline
1x Force of Nature

Programs(5)
1x Datasucker
1x Self-Modifying code
1x Djinn
1x Keyhole
1x Magnum Opus

Hardware(6)
1x Dyson Mem Chip
1x Clone Chip
1x Akamatsu Mem Chip
1x Spinal Modem
1x Doppelganger
1x R&D Interface

Resource(5+2)
1x Same Old Thing
1x Tallie Perrault
1x Crash Space
1x Personal Workshop
1x Access to GlobalSec
2x Armitage Codebusting

Events(7)
1x Sure Gamble
1x Vamp
2x StimHack
1x Tinkering
1x Test Run
1x Deja Vu

On to the next packs!

Corporation Pack 4 Pick 4 (7 cards)

1 Director Haas’ Pet Project
1 Profiteering
1 Aggressive Secretary ••
1 Precognition
1 Hourglass ••
1 Sensei
1 Viktor 2.0 •••

http://www.instant.ly/s/Eypxi

Runner Pack 4 Pick 4 (7 cards)

1 Quality Time
1 Retrieval Run
1 The Helpful AI ••
1 Keyhole
1 Nerve Agent
1 Pheromones ••
1 Rook

http://www.instant.ly/s/xXbTN

C: no good economy in the pack, take pet project. Seriously we’re good on ice, we’re going to get some at the end anyway

R: quality time is very good with workshop, so I think we go with that. nerve agent is the runner up since we already have a bunch of R&D attack

For corp I like the Director Haas Pet Project over Profiteering and Aggressive Secretary, but they are all pretty close.

Runner is very interesting, a lot of niche utility. We don’t want Retrieval Run and probably not another Keyhole. The second Quality Time seems weaker than the first since we will likely have drawn most of our deck by then, but gives consistency to the deck which I like. Nerve Agent is a tutorable HQ threat, might be good. Pheromones is not that great by itself but helps fueling Workshop and Vamp. Still I don’t think additional viruses are that great since we will get purged already for our breakers. Helpful AI can actually be pretty good with our Darwins and might wheel if someone else wants the Retrieval Run.

1 Like