Core 2.0: Everything Old is New Again

I thought it wasn’t legal for Worlds 2017?

Also while I get what you’re saying, I think with a core box the most important thing to get interesting are the game mechanics and how cards interact with each other.

They reversed that decision recently on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FFGOP/status/907363913594961921

5 Likes

Hah, noobs are gonna have to learn to bluff

Also, NEXT might be fine for replacing etf, kind of maybe. Also wtf etf

2 Likes

Let’s see how it shakes out first. I admit I have my reservations about it too - I’m similarly anxious that it might flatten the game and remove some of the excitement of big plays - but I’ve been wrong about meta predictions before and I’d be happy to be wrong again here. I haven’t seen the amount of buzz I’ve seen about Netrunner this evening for a long time, so let’s hope it all goes somewhere positive.

1 Like

There is certainly buzz about netrunner, there’s like a million new topics it seems. Hell, I’m revved up about it

4 Likes

I think Seidr, Architects, and Foundry are all valid replacements for EtF, if not at the same power level. CI remains strong though has to figure out how to score (and might actually need to make a server now).

I’m super pumped for this new era of building decks, because I am eager to see what new strategies everyone has to come up with to win games without relying on the old tricks we all knew. Everyone knew Siphon was good, but what else can we play with? Maybe all the derez strategies we picked up in the last cycle will be played more. I don’t know!

2 Likes

Something I wonder is if they could do the “revised” method for future deluxe expansions. Maybe after the next rotation, when cycles 3 & 4 go out.

Say a revised C&C with some rotated HB/Shaper cards (and to send CI to rot in hell with Noise).

2 Likes

Very very excited. I’m new to the game, and seeing FFG play Rebirth to give it a new lease on life makes me very optimistic.

I don’t understand why they couldn’t tell us this was coming. I guess it has something to do with keeping stores selling down the old stock. But it’s sad that they had to keep us hanging like this!

Did they say when the new box will actually be on sale?

2 Likes

Calling it now. They are going to do a soft rotation like this of the deluxes. It would be great to liberate some card slots!

Pretty stoked by the announcement. Feels like forever since I was excited about cards.

2 Likes

My Chaos Theory headcanon is already happily whirring away. Did she learn from her 23 Seconds experience? Does she now run to make the world a better place? WHAT OF HER DADS?

1 Like

So, initial thoughts after putting the Revised Core mono-colour decks into my NRDB collection.

RUNNER GENERAL

• Multi-access took a BIG hit! (in single-core formats at least) Definitely pushing the Remote play.
  • All 3 factions seem to have evened up in terms of econ (Liberated vs Bank Job/Easy Mark vs MOpus)
  • Real sharpening of the breaker suites to reflect on each faction’s strengths/weaknesses.
  • Damage is a bit more real (hi Jinteki!), while not having the kill-shot NPE of Scorched. You should pretty much now always be able to see the kill coming (except Snare! -> something else) .

ANARCHS

• Sharpened focus on Archives as “their” Central server, tho RetRun for Deja brings them down to earth a bit I think.
  • Demo Run feels out of place in Core now, unless you’re importing HQI. I guess coupled with Hemorrhage you have a HQ attack vector (substituting for Vamp?)
  • No more ICE destruction in Coreexperience - probably for the best, as a new player it can lead to NPEs and/or poor choices.

CRIMINALS.

• Derez ALL THE THINGS! Interesting avenue for Credit denial vs Siphon, encouraging more thoughtful play I think.
  • No longer the clear stand-out money faction
  • Unsure about Sneakdoor as a 1-of; coupled with all the HQ focus Crim is traditionally known for I wonder if this makes their line of attack move from “too-predictable” to “no-brainer”

SHAPER

• Not much to say here I feel; I mean, no more Kate but the faction doesn’t feel dramatically different to me at first glance. I’m sure with more experience I’ll decide Indexing vs Maker’s is a sidegrade, but…

CORP GENERAL

• No more Siphon spam! I feel like this coupled with a shift away from multi-access opens up the Corp’s play lines early-game. There’s a bit more possibility for a rush play here I think.
  • More econ options = more robust Corp play (except maybe NBN…?) vs the original Core.
  • Yeah, FA is less of A Thing now, even as ToL and 3/2’s for EVERONE allows for more factions to access it. Interesting…

HB

• No more crazy Beta Test plays sadface
  • FA is a lot harder. That said, a second defensive Upgrade allows HB to move to a pretty solid Glacier strategy with the ability to Biotic out the last point or 2.

JINTEKI

• Still prickly, but now with less instant-death for weefle-runners.
  • Really glad they have put Ronin in to force the Runner into difficult choices.

NBN

• Focuses the tag straegies the faction was supposed to have but didn’t really get unti llate Spin/Lunar and onwards. Enjoy this refocussing.
  • Sharper ICE suite helps the faction be relevant (I still remember Alexfrog’s assessment of NBN through Core/Genesis: “Until Beale drops, ignore the faction. Then it is GOD!”)

WEYLAND

• Despite my initial mourning of Scorched, I think Punitive might actually be a more powerful card in a Core environment. It’s less Inf thus easier for more factions to access, and its pre-requisite is something any Corp can easily meet (vs the tag requirement for Scorch). It also enables the balls-out play of dumping Agendas into Archives for the Runner to find :smiling_imp:
  • OMG Weyland FINALLY gets an advanceable “trap”! No more “I won’t run until you advance a card” crap from the Runner!
9 Likes

I like that Shaper now has a program tutor in core, and more core set tutors than Criminal (2 x Test Run vs 1x Special Order). That helps introduce them as the tutoring, program-manipulating faction. And more Indexing than Maker’s Eye reinforces the theme of manipulating things.

4 Likes

I’m excited to try out this new meta but I’m not feeling strongly that it’s either good or bad. It just depends how much they tested this.

If you remove particularly strong cards new cards become the strongest cards. We’re always going to find the strongest cards and strongest decks. I can’t predict how it will shake out but I doubt that it will be markedly better or worse than it is. Just different.

Worlds is going to be super exciting to watch unfold because of this.

1 Like

I’m glad that big program cheating is also a core part of shaper, with scavenge in C&C, Test run Scavenge is now a core identity of shaper.

Things I like:
-New art for runner IDs, especially Gabe, that also makes advances to the story
-Many of the worst “problem cards” in the game have been removed
-New format and art but old cards means veterans don’t have to buy in, but they might want to anyway
-Possible return to bluffing-based play in normal skill level games?

Things I don’t:
-No new art for corp IDs a la GRNDL and the like
-No new flavor text for runner IDs IIRC, would have been good way to advance the story
-HB: Stronger Together, possibly the worst ID in the game, being a core set card.
-Lots of garbage breakers. Faction identity doesn’t require printing awful cards, and the “ICE type advantages” were always sorta fake anyway.
-Emergency Shutdown still being in the game
-No RDI, Knight, or NEXT Bronze

3 Likes

The power level of the Core set has just plummeted with the removal of nearly every faction defining card in the game. People are happy to see the likes of Siphon and Breaking News gone (tbh, I’m not), but what this means is that decks will almost certainly be comprised of cards released in the latest few cycles.

If they are going to release alternative options to the rotating cards from Core 1.0 in the next cycle, then I think a new player is far better of just starting their collection from the more recent cycles (Mumbad onwards), and skipping this new Core.

in case you missed this https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/11/system-refresh/

Crazy. I’ve never been so excited about old cards.
Let’s hope we get this baby by the end of the year.

5 Likes

This news. Better than any MWL revision.

FFG, I am ready to forgive.

Time to dust off the binders.

13 Likes

I really love that you don’t have to purchase it if you don’t want to because you already own these cards.

I expected some kind of “revision” in problematic cards, something like EtF 2.0, Yog 2.0 BN etc… but this is much better, and avoids a lot of confusion (maybe softer versions of them will come in the next cycle). Probably most of us will not agree 100% on the chosen card pool for the core, but I think in general is a very very good job, couldn’t ask for more.

Thanks Boggs!

6 Likes