Criminal Control Decks: A New Type of Criminal

Also, not running inside job seems… criminal.

Ok, so let’s go with -1 Lawyer Up, -1 Planned Assault, +2 Crypsis.

It surely does… Don’t see what to cut though.

I’d drop Feint and one Same Old Thing for 2x Inside Job, personally.

Just plyed 2 games with my deck, this is a ridiculously weak build :smiley:. Chancy PPVP econ + super expensive console + weak breaker suite = a disaster. Seriously, don’t waste your time testing my version as it is right now.

1 Like

Inspired by @karmaportrait’s deck I’ve built my own Tenma variant. It’s tested well but I wouldn’t mind feedback. If I can get a PPVP and a Masanori out early it gets rolling very quickly but can have some slow starts.

Ken Tenma Control Deck

Ken “Express” Tenma: Disappeared Clone (Honor and Profit)

Event (26)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
1x Hostage (Opening Moves)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
3x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) •••
2x Lucky Find (Double Time) ••••
1x Planned Assault (Honor and Profit)
1x Running Interference (Mala Tempora)
3x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
1x The Maker’s Eye (Core Set) ••

Hardware (8)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
3x Prepaid VoicePAD (Second Thoughts)

Resource (4)
1x John Masanori (Opening Moves)
1x Professional Contacts (Creation and Control) ••
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Gordian Blade (Core Set) •••
1x Mimic (Core Set) •

17 influence spent (max 17)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

1 Like

Looks good FoilFlaws, very close to how I would build it. I guess you have to ask what makes this not a datasucker deck? You’ve got the MU and influence. Perhaps while Andromeda might run twice a turn, you’re more likely to draw and then play a run event.

One card that really intrigues me for Tenma is using Oracle May blind. Only costs 1 to put down! Way faster than Professional Contacts and even hitting 2/3 she’s arguably better. Special Order and Hostage can pull your breakers and resources to safety (probably decoy, maybe Kati or Masanori). Crypsis and Parasite with Deja Vu is already in a few Gabe decks and could negate the danger of losing a breaker. Oracle May is incredibly powerful and I think she’ll probably spawn a new archetype, with or without Motivation.

I think if you switch to a Datasucker build you have to immediately ask yourself, “Why am I running an Andy deck in an inferior ID?” I think the economy is strong enough in this build to not need the Suckers but I will keep testing.

As for ProCon vs. Oracle May, being able to use ProCon more than once per turn will get me the cards faster and I guarantee the card. I’d hate to be digging for PPVP and hit LARLA or just drawing for events and hit a breaker.

Using May blind is a super-high-variance play, and is bound to kick you in the nuts when you least need it. If May gave you something when you miss (like, a credit), in addition to the good effect when you hit, then I’d be fine with it.

Completely wasting an action plus burning the card is too much for that, though.

I feel like the Feint is an easy drop for the third Siphon. Why only two siphons and why run Feint?

1 Like

In Doubletime 25/25 tournament winning criminals played 3 Account Siphon. I think you need a pretty good reason to cut it. You’re right, being too reliant on HQ is a potential problem. A big piece of ice can make Legwork, Account Siphon and Emergency Shutdown dead cards in your hand. All great cards but more than say seven slots for them could stall you hard. Feint helps but you have to wonder how often Feint and Blackmail would do more than Inside Job. Blackmail needs not only Bad Pub but unrezzed ICE, often not the case for the hard running Andromeda.

I’m cooling on Planned Assault. I think out of faction Indexing (like your deck) or Account Siphon is the only place it really shines. Account Siphon is not often 2 and a click better than another copy of Legwork and adding the cost to Inside Job takes away much of its potential as an economic play.

1 Like

This is why my Criminal decks tend to pack two copies of Pheromones. I really like that card - it adds both further pressure and sustainability to the early HQ runs. Especially good with Sneakdoor, as you then need to both seal Archives and purge before HQ is semi-safe again.

Hmm I’d like to try that but I feel like I’d need to find a good 0 Datasucker rig first.

Silencer + Dagger works reasonably well, since you have Faeries as backup. The rest can be Corroder and either Zu.13, or possibly Passport + Crypsis.

It can be a bit on the expensive side at times, but is solid and has a TON of redundancy for handling program trashing.

Your math is wrong. It looks more like this

45 card non-andy: 3-of 28.6%, 5-of 42.3%
Silhouette: 3-of 31.6%, 5-of 46.1%
Andy: 3-of 47.2%, 5-of 64.6%

She is slightly more consistent than average, but she is not in the same ballpark as andy. If you use silhouette, you need to want her expose effect. Draws after the opener are slightly better than andy, but openers are a different story.

More on topic, I find any deck dependent on repeat runs on a specific central probably wants to splash a couple parasites

EDIT: Fun fact, andy with 2 copies of inside job is within 1% as likely to draw it as gabe with 4 copies

EDIT 2: lack of capitalization bugging you sly?

3 Likes

Yeah sorry about that, forgot the 9 card hand. Your numbers are all slightly lower than Netrunnerdb’s draw simulator? I get 51% 5 copy Silhouette, 50% 3 copy Andy, 30% 3 copy Gabe.

I think you’re exactly right on Parasite. Knight also functions similarly, can be grabbed with Special Order and serves as a back-up breaker.

Here’s the latest build. No combo cards needed for Blackguard, just a lean Criminal. Give it a go.

Silhouette: Stealth Operative (Honor and Profit)

Event (23)

Hardware (5)

Resource (1)

Icebreaker (5)

Program (6)

15 influence spent (max 15)
40 cards (min 40)

I’m close to dropping the PPvP engine. I’ve found it’s not great if you stop drawing and run intensely, as Criminals sometimes do. It also has quite a bit of randomness, though Mr Li helps with that. Considering alternative rigs as well since it has a slightly different running pace, usually once a turn compared to twice a turn Desperado Andy. That might be more just a function of the PPvP though.

Except when it gets trashed after breaking news - which leaves you in an economic hole

1 Like

I like this. Decided to check in on this thread. Not that this is anything close to tourney-viable, but, I wanted to try something control-y out of Blue, and also wanted to ditch Siphon (crutch card) for crap cards (Data Dealer). Amazing how furiously people ICE up HQ v. Blue, when this deck doesn’t care a ton.

FWIW, has a winning record after 7ish OCTGN games. (I know, it’s OCTGN, with 3 of those v. Jinteki)

Well Connected

Iain Stirling: Retired Spook (Honor and Profit)

Event (12)

Hardware (4)

Resource (23)

Icebreaker (6)

10 influence spent (max 10)
45 cards (min 45)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

Also, don’t laugh at DONUT (I imagine he’s like Hodor, and only says the word DONUT); he catches EVERYone off guard, and really hurts a majority of Corps. Something to be said about running cards no one plays.

3 Likes

so far in testing, donut has been strong so long as you’re low on events.

4 Likes

It’s a lot like Reina Roja, the ability on paper doesn’t feel that overhwelming, and even when you’re playing her, it is really not obviously that strong. However, having played against her, there are innumerable times her ability has forced a decision I wouldn’t have had to make before, and it often translates into clicks wasted clicking for credits.

1 Like