Criminal Control Decks: A New Type of Criminal

Yeah, I’ve had games where it’s come the end and the opponent has just looked at me and said the word “Donut” with passionate hatred as I dropped him turn 1 and their entire economy ground to a halt as a result. My favourite bit is the first time they try and play Subliminal Messaging.

2 Likes

I played a BABW deck the other day. My first turn was Gamble, Gamble, Hostage DONUT.

To quote one of my new fave cards:

3 Likes

I’ve been saying this for a while… Anarchs are especially well-positioned to take advantage of him.

Also, doing a random RnD run, seeing Accelerated Diagnostics and then promptly Hostaging for a Donut makes me warm in my pants. It’s wonderful how the opponent’s head usually explodes upon realizing they now need about 15 credits more, and they have to work much harder to actually get those credits :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks like a fun deck. A word of caution- be careful about installing 2 or more tri-mafs versus NBN- I got flatlined by an install-advance breaking news I couldn’t get too, followed by 6 meat damage courtesy of my own cards! On the other hand, I’ve really benefited from dropping a tri-maf early game and having a steady supply of money- maybe as a 2-of?

Has anyone else been eying the new Breaking and Entering breakers (Spike, Crowbard and Shiv) as enablers of slower Control style criminal decks? They play cheaply enough and with 2 link (Andromeda or Ian, eying @Nordrunner’s supplier deck here as a template) they don’t take MU, so you can throw them down as you go along, building up massive remote pressure. If you’ve got your regular efficient breaker suite (maybe Yog + Datasucker with Corroder and Faerie, or Passport if you want to maintain cheaper setup) you can save the BnE breakers for when they’re going to give you a massive turn, like breaking twice through RP’s remote for free if you need to.

I’ve not got a lot of experience with a slower criminal build, but I feel like that’s the way to use the new breakers: build remote break-in inevitability as you play through by installing cheap, memory and use efficient breakers.

I haven’t really figured those breakers out at all. They seem essentially purely designed for Geist. There’s nothing inevitable about them in my opinion. The only inevitable breakers are the ones you can increase the strength of by paying credits, backed up by a lot of credits. They might be a plausible solution to the central breakers and spending all influence on… Something criminal decks. (I guess 3 parasite, 3 clone chip, 3 data sucker fits in 15…) They don’t seem worth the slot to me. I’d love to be shown otherwise.

Well, my thinking is that if you’re putting on central pressure/building economy, you can install these guys as you draw them. If you’ve got even a few regular breakers plus a few BnE breakers, it’ll become really hard to build a taxing remote (3 breaker rig + 2 BnE breakers means both BnE breakers is 5 strength and can bust almost anything). Being able to get through monster remotes for free (and not be able to be taxed out by things like Wraparound the way people tax Lady since you can use your sustainable breakers whenever you’d rather) means that things like Ash and Caprice are much less frightening. Maybe the drip economy plan is a mistake and it should be some kind of run based aggression deck (Gabe? Ken?) that employs the BnE breakers as an investment against the late game, which is typically trouble.

They’re a lot of deckslots, though, not to mention clicks. Outside of Geist with the quasi-refund I can’t see a lot of love for them. He does have 1 link as well, after all. I think you definitely want a more regular suite, possibly with Passport (or Zu, to save on memory) due to needing so much setup time that Yog + Sucker might not be as viable. But yeah, the rough idea would be something like what you describe, using them mostly for early access runs or, more ideally, holding off on using them until you get them to be 0-MU and can plop a bunch of them out at once, making them each super huge to be criminal D4V1Ds. Or using the centrals-breakers (except Breach, I guess, since it more closely doubles up with the B&E suite in terms of hitting larger barriers with many subs harder) with the B&E suite for remotes.

I don’t see that working ideally, but it’s possible. Maaaybe with the supplier, but so many programs make me wonder about Workshop, too. Though that’s a bunch more influence for decks that want Clone Chips to keep the strength/variety of the B&E Suite up, and it still takes all the goddamn clicks, unless you’re Andy and, like, turn one play Sure Gamble, Link Boosting Thing, Mass Install, XYZ, or something like that.

The frustrating thing with the B&E suite (well, one of them) is that they encourage you to run 3-of each, but they’re not really good enough to be worth that many slots. I’d run them as 2-ofs, except that then you’re less likely to see them and they cap power much lower, which makes dealing with Curtain Wall or whatever tricky.

They have a lot of potential to screw with economy racing and bluff scoring windows (especially with mass install), but they all cost a bit of cash to install as well as the click, so you need that drip econ to function. Though if you’re building a deck on the premise of hitting 2 link early and slow-rolling from there, UWC off of the Supplier isn’t the worst possible idea for said deck, I just dunno how it’d do against any fast corp.

Gonna try with Geist, just to see. There’s some potential, but I don’t think the deck’ll be great. Fun, maybe, but not a tournament take-down regular.

1 Like

See, I don’t think they’re meant to be played that way. It’s not a surprise, more of each install (between 0 and 1 cost each) being a nail in any remote’s coffin. I think running the whole suite is a mistake, and likely running 3x of any given pieces is a mistake. Myself, I’m thinking of 2x Spike and 3x Crowbar, using Faerie as a more flexible version of Shiv. I don’t see them as something you build your whole deck around, but rather as something that can solve a problem in certain criminal decks that have issues figuring out ways into remotes consistently in the late game. I feel this pressure in my Leela deck, and I think that the ability to just crap all over taxing remotes is super powerful in a faction with such good central pressure.

Geist is nice, but I think Andromeda is going to be better because she can set up your plan A faster and the draw boost is nice to start grabbing the pieces earlier. I’m starting to lean towards something like the Leela’s breakers and money build, except that you can probably emphasize more heavily on aggression/run economy and not worry as much about being locked out of the game, since as you run and gun, you’ll be dropping down cards that make the corp re-think whether or not the remote is secure enough this turn. Then nail them in HQ with a legwork :smiley:

Truism is true. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree that it’s not the ideal setup, like the idea for running fewer than the limit because that’ll probably be better except in Geist, which is, well, not going to be better anyway.

Though with just the 5, I dunno. You hit 8 likely breakers, but Curtain Wall requires 10 to be broken for free. I suppose an extra Faerie out might help there, or Faerie + Femme, but even then you’d be one short. Zu might be good then to free up the space, I guess, but the advantage of all 9 B&E breakers is that you can blow a couple on other things and still break through Curtain Wall with one at no in-run cost. Combine with Crescentus and even Blue Sun is unhappy about their day… if the game has lasted that long.

Hence the thinking they’re built for Geist but not ideal for him. I do hope that they can show up in Andy or Iain, like you suggest, and work to make the corp hoard agendas too long. I’d like a world where the slightly slower runner archetypes aren’t inherently awful.

Here’s the thing with the B&E suite vs. “taxing remotes”. Modern taxing remote play is universally backed up by Ash/Caprice + bluffs, and is effective because it makes the runner run the remote multiple times. The B&E breakers are single-shot, and each time we use one the strength of all the others goes down. This, to me, sounds like a bad time.

So yes: you get in once for dirt cheap once you’re all tech’d up, but then you can’t get in again. You may as well have been playing Normal Efficient Breakers + Money.

I think the B&E breakers niche is getting you into lightly defended remotes a single time at a low cost. Whether or not that’s a valuable niche we shall see. Personally, I’m not buying.

3 Likes

Which is partly what I mean when I talk about handling Curtain Wall or whatever, it’s trying to deal with it in such a way that you can kill Ash and deal with it a second time to score. Not ideal, but maybe all too often the reality.

But yeah, B&E might be okay in Geist with Crescentus, but I imagine that there will be 5 cards even a slower Andy deck would rather have that’d help her get in just as much. Like Emergency Shutdown and Inside Job, say.

I should clarify: the BnE suite isn’t standing in for normal breakers. You run a normal breaker suite, though maybe with fewer copies. The BnE suite is to save you money in the late game breaking into taxing remotes when it counts. Maybe you don’t use them both times through the Ash remote, but Ash doesn’t work so well if one of the two runs is free.

Clearly, the answer here is “Sacrificial Construct”!

1 Like

I realize that you are being facetious, but sadly, this does not work:

Trashing as a Cost
If the cost of a paid ability requires a card to be trashed, then
preventing that card from being trashed prevents the cost from
being paid and the paid ability does not resolve.

Example: The Runner trashes Cortez Chip and has an installed
Sacrificial Construct. If the Sacrificial Construct is used to
prevent the Cortez Chip from being trashed, then the paid ability
on Cortez Chip does not resolve.

This rule obviously also applies to the B&E breakers. On an unrelated note, it is hilarious that the FAQ uses Cortez Chip as an example. Oh, FFG - that’s not happening.