Cybernetics Division, Brain Damage/Hand Limitation?

Apologies if there was already a thread for this, but figured Cybernetics Division deserved some love for the choke your hand out style deck.

My initial list features a heavy amount of clickable ice, Valley Grid and Ryon Knight with a single Chairman Hiro to be able to finish them off at the end of their turn if they are down to one hand size.

Between Archived Memories, Crick and Architect I’m hoping to be able to recur Ryon Knight at least once Anyway here’s my first try at a list.

I hope you weren’t using those…

Cybernetics Division: Humanity Upgraded

Agenda (9)
3x Accelerated Beta Test
3x Project Vitruvius
3x Sentinel Defense Program

Asset (7)
3x Adonis Campaign
1x Chairman Hiro •••••
3x Jackson Howard •••

Upgrade (5)
3x Ryon Knight
2x Valley Grid ••••

Operation (9)
3x Archived Memories
3x Green Level Clearance
3x Hedge Fund

Barrier (4)
3x Eli 1.0
1x Heimdall 1.0

Code Gate (5)
1x Crick •••
2x Enigma
2x Viktor 1.0

Sentry (5)
2x Architect
3x Ichi 1.0

15 influence spent (max 15)
18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

Decklist published on http://netrunnerdb.com.

I’ve got a first draft of a Mushin no Shin version :

New Corp Deck

Cybernetics Division: Humanity Upgraded (Chrome City)

Agenda (9)

Asset (7)

Operation (16)

Barrier (4)

Code Gate (4)

Sentry (4)

44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Not sure at all if it’s good or not.

With those Fenrises you could try Rex Campaign over BLC. I think you’ll be chucking too many cards, seems hard to be able to hold everything you want with a reduced handsize. Or you could just run Research Station.

Seems like these decks are pretty vulnerable to the runner just hammering centrals, no? Doesn’t matter if you score a ManUp if I can find 4 agendas before you can score 4 agendas.

How about 5/3s and Punitives? It’s not as straightforward a plan as landing a Cerebral + Neural EMP, but it gives you a kill threat even if the runner ignores your remotes.

Come At Me, Bro

Agenda (6)

Asset (6)

Operation (19)

Barrier (5)

Code Gate (5)

Sentry (3)

44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

1 Like

If you’re going punitives surely ETF is the better option. The 1 reduced hand size is never a factor so you’re relying on them self-braining anyway.

1 Like

You’re probably right that ETF’s extra credits (and ability to hold 5 cards) outweigh the reduced deck size for this deck. But it could still be the best Cybernetics deck. It wouldn’t be the first time the best deck in an HB ID was just better with ETF.

With 3-pointers and Punitive you could give Gyri a shot. Makes the single Punitive lethal early on and is absolute junk later when you’ve gathered up two Punitives.

You shouldn’t try to build the best Cybernetics deck, you should try to build the best Cybernetics deck that works best in Cybernetics. I could just swap out the RP ID for PE in my RP deck, and it still might be the best PE deck, but it’s also the stupidest thing in the world. I could cut a Sure Gamble from Reg Ass Maxx for a Hard at Work and proclaim I made the best Hard at Work deck, but who cares?

The mushin deck Calimsha hijacked from me at least takes advantage of the ID (allows you to kill from 3 BD with Neural archived Neural, make better pushes with Junebug, and allows you to Mushin Advance to get around Deus Ex or IHW). It obviously has serious central problems but that could possibly be fixed by slowing down and including beefier ICE.

3 Likes

Here’s what I’ve been toying around with on jinteki.net. Not the best build but it’s really fun to play. Still tweaking.

Cybernetics Division Humanity Upgraded

15 influence spent (max 15) •••••••••••••••
44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

Agenda (10)

3x Accelerated Beta Test
1x Director Haas’ Pet Project
1x Hades Fragment
1x Priority Requisition
3x Self-Destruct Chips
1x Sentinel Defense Program

Asset (11)

2x Brain-Taping Warehouse
3x Cerebral Overwriter
3x Jackson Howard •••
3x Snare! ••••• •

Upgrade (2)

2x Ryon Knight

Operation (6)

3x Hedge Fund
3x Mushin No Shin ••••• •

Barrier (5)

2x Eli 1.0
1x Heimdall 1.0
1x Heimdall 2.0
1x Markus 1.0

Code Gate (5)

2x Turing
2x Viktor 1.0
1x Viktor 2.0

Sentry (5)

1x Fenris
1x Ichi 1.0
1x Ichi 2.0
1x Janus 1.0
1x Rototurret

Isn’t it just a question of how you look at it? I’d say if the best PE deck were just your RP deck with the ID swapped, then there would be no point playing PE, at least competitively. Likewise with Hard at Work.

This is definitely more of a killjoy way to approach it, as opposed figuring out how to get maximum mojo out of the ID ability and then comparing it, so I won’t press the point. Especially since, in this particular case, I’m likely completely wrong about Cybernetics.

That’s what I’m saying. You shouldn’t build a deck that works better in another ID because you already know a way to improve it: change the ID. You should go at Cybernetics trying to build a deck that ONLY works or works BEST in Cybernetics, so that in case you do come across a good deck, you know that you weren’t just wasting your time with a suboptimal ID.

So, you shouldn’t just figure out how to build the best Cybernetics deck, you should try to figure out how to build the best Cybernetics deck that isn’t trivially suboptimal.

5 Likes

Time for the return of this jank? (rough skeleton whipped up in 3 minutes)

Brain freeze

Agenda (9)

Asset (6)

Upgrade (2)

Operation (14)

Barrier (3)

Code Gate (5)

Sentry (5)

44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

2 Likes

As obvious as the interaction with Self-Destruct chips seems, there are a couple of big problems with it:

(1) 3/1s are the Memstrips of corp cards
(2) Finishing the runner off from 3 max hand size is hard. Even 2 is hard out of HB.

So the question I pose is this:

Obviously, Mushin-Overwriter is a really good way to deal brain damage. It deals a lot of brain damage. We can easily kill someone from 1 Max hand size in most cases if they hit the Overwriter on 3 out of Cybernetics. IF we were to try to deal BD a little bit at a time, what cards should we be playing, and how should we be finishing the runner off? If we do play the SD chips, how do we score them, how do we deal 1-2 more brain damage, and how do we kill them?

The ease of Mushin Overwriter leads me to want to write literal everything else off.

3 Likes

Besides the obvious “hope they get BD from an ICE subroutine” I’ve had some luck with Ryon Knight a few times. Better runners will avoid getting in a situation where Ryon Knight fires, but sometimes making them click thru bioroids can put them in a pickle. But yeah, besides Overwriter, not sure how to reliably hit the runner with BD.

Also, I’ve occasionally Mushin’d out a Self Destruct Chip and scored it. This only works if you can recur Mushin with your Jacksons, so you can have a chance to set up the late game kill/score.

As for killing the runner, I’m banking on Snares to the job once their hand size is down. Only worked a few times. Had one game where the runner had 0 hand size, but kept missing the Snares in HQ. That was back before I added a third.

3 Likes

Corporate Troubleshooter with any BD ICE or Gyri Labyrinth.
Combo with The Twins for good measure to make the runner hits it twice (the strength boost from Troubleshooter persists for the turn). Gyri Lab turns into 4 temporary brain damage.
#janktastic!

5 Likes

This has been the most successful Punitive version I’ve come up with. Not to say that there might be a much better out one there, but this is what I have right now. Ryon occasionally works, but could be something else, honestly. He’d work better in a deck with more Bioroids. Maybe -1 Ryon -1 Something Else +2 Domestic Sleepers to make scoring out easier.

Tabula Rasa

Agenda (6)

Asset (10)

Upgrade (4)

Operation (9)

Barrier (5)

Code Gate (4)

Sentry (5)

Other (1)

44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

2 Likes

Working on this premise, how about an ICE-less version? IAAA absolutely everything with Mushin and use Reclamation Order to keep recycling. The runner has to check every single facedown to prevent you scoring out.
You could even use Shipment from Mirrormorph to drop Snares, 3/2s and Junebug/Overwriter then AA to leave the runner a horrendous guess.

There’s no real guess there. The correct decision becomes to only run on R&D and HQ. Sure, Snare! might make things annoying, but there’s little chance of a flatline if you run with 3-4 cards in hand.

7 Likes

Yeah, you can safely ignore remotes against hb. Importing Ronin could change that, though.

1 Like

I’m thinking the following:
3x Neural EMP/3x Snare!/3x Jackson Howard (optional -1 neural emp, -1 snare, +2 punitive)
– R&D->Hourglass/other cards & Ryon Knight
– Almost all 5/3’s, maybe some accelerated beta tests to mock the runner with archives->Punitive; Possibly false lead of the deck’s really working well.
– Archived Memories at 3x to get back snare! and other deadly cards
– Potentially interns
– Cerebral Overwriter

Probably want ICHI 2.0 as it’s a 3 trace for brain damage and not always easy to break. Turing for the remote to power Ryon Knight.

Forcing runners to staple beach party/logos/boxee is my ultimate goal.