Cybernetics Division, Brain Damage/Hand Limitation?

Hardware is crap for the most part; most people only play the good stuff. When playing a game count your targets a few times and then make up your mind.

1 Like

I was just kept out of top 8 by lab dog. Thanks @spags. :wink:

9 Likes

i think lab dog is pretty rude. i mean how often do you see criminals running around with desperado and faerie or kate with a stack of money with a clone chip on the table and a SMC in the heap looking all smug? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to work out a version which uses Snare to discourage r&d digs. The economy doesn’t feel right, but with a 4 hand size the clearances didn’t feel good either. With self destruct chips instead of sleepers, snares can be used as never advance. Failed overwriters and snares protect shell corp. Maybe Melange instead of adonis? I just hate how cheaply they can be trashed off r&d in particular.

My version of the brain damage deck

Cybernetics Division: Humanity Upgraded (Chrome City)

Agenda (8)
1x Hades Fragment (Up and Over)
3x Priority Requisition (Core Set)
3x Self-Destruct Chips (Chrome City)
1x Utopia Fragment (The Source)

Asset (12)
3x Adonis Campaign (Core Set)
3x Cerebral Overwriter (Creation and Control)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) [color=#FF8C00]•••[/color]
3x Snare! (Core Set) [color=#DC143C]••••• •[/color]

Upgrade (3)
3x Shell Corporation (All That Remains)

Operation (8)
2x Archived Memories (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Mushin No Shin (Honor and Profit) [color=#DC143C]••••• •[/color]

Barrier (6)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
3x NEXT Silver i[/i]

Code Gate (3)
3x NEXT Bronze (Opening Moves)

Sentry (4)
2x Architect (Up and Over)
1x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
1x Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead)
15 influence spent (max 15)
18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Elaborate please!

He played labdog. My only hardware was NRE and Desperado. I made the wrong choice and lost the Desperado, but honestly, the NRE would have hurt too with the 5 strength codegates everywhere… It was in his push for top 8. He swept me getting 3rd in swiss. Other direction and I’d have probably been in the same place, but he played way better than I did so… Labdog wasn’t the only thing that kept me out of the elims, but it contributed.

This was not a cybernetics deck.

2 Likes

Back on topic. I’m 4-0 against Cybernetics Division (just tonight). Is this ID a flop at the moment? I was hoping Brain Damage would be real… but now it just seems like that was a false hope I shouldn’t have had.

Problems as I see them:

1. Not having the money is a huge concern.
  2. Reduced handsize makes holding even 1 agenda risky
  3. Even if you land brain damage, it seems like no one has a way to actually capitalize on that to turn it into a win.
  4. HB ice is really weak to anarch at the moment which is finally at the top of its game.
  5. Dies hard to R&D lock, maybe a piont in Snare!'s favor.

So, I guess I’m wondering if there’s something we’re missing here. Some tactic that hasn’t been tried. Like, i dunno, housekeeping+blacklist? If you’re already stuck with a small hand, then having to pitch stuff to install seems like it would suck even more.

Mushin No Shin seems ok. I’ve taken brain damage off of it+cerebral… but 6 influence and you still have to do ice somehow and a kill.

All of my own brews have been duds too. I’ve tried punative and neural. I’m starting to wonder if it should just be like the old build where you scored false leads and tried to get people to die off a snare! while holding neurals.

Flavors I’ve seen: Hiro/Self Destruct/neural. Punative 3 pointers; Mushin Cerebral; random ryon knights that never fire.

I tried it for a bit with a Never Advance shell. Not having ETF money really sucks. Legwork sucks. Sticking brain damage is hard unless you play Fenris, but you don’t want BP either. I’m willing to admit I’m just doing it wrong, though.

I really dislike the Dead Coats build in it. You’re going to have a hard time hitting Runners with Punitive without ETF money flowing in, and that strategy is so timing-heavy that you get a lot of games where Punitive is just a dead card because the Runner snipes a 3-pointer off R&D when you weren’t set up.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a SEA Source/Scorched build. If you can stick a single brain damage, a single scorch can kill. Lots of influence though.

I’m guessing the influence spread is 2x SEA Source, 2x Scorched, 3x Jackson? I could see that working with Archived Memories working as extra Scorcheds.

Still needs a lot of money, though, which is why I’m not sure Cybernetics is there yet. Certainly a fun ID, just not there competitively.

3 Likes

One of the things I’ve noticed it playing the deck a little is how controlling scoring 1 Self-Destruct Chips or landing 1 brain damage can be. It’s generally pretty easy to never advance out a single SDC which can very much change the game. Housekeeping + Snare! with Pop-ups on R&D might be the way to go though there might not be enough influence for that. Edge of World behind a single ice in Cybernetics could be kind of interesting.

Maybe something like this?

CD 2.0

Agenda (9)

Asset (13)

Upgrade (2)

Operation (5)

Barrier (4)

Code Gate (4)

Sentry (7)

44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

I don’t have time to test this but someone should…

Brain Upgrades (44 cards)
Cybernetics Division: Humanity Upgraded
– Agenda (9 cards)
3 Accelerated Beta Test
3 Mandatory Upgrades
3 Project Vitruvius
– Asset (7 cards)
1 Aggressive Secretary
3 Cerebral Overwriter
3 Jackson Howard
2 Snare!
– ICE (15 cards)
3 Architect
3 Eli 1.0
1 Mother Goddess
3 NEXT Bronze
2 NEXT Gold
3 NEXT Silver
– Operation (11 cards)
3 Hedge Fund
3 Mushin No Shin
1 Neural EMP
2 Restructure
– Upgrade (2 cards)
2 Shell Corporation

After playing against it yesterday, the deck totally wants snares. Solve your two issues (RnD dig and Legwork) both at once. Neurals seem meh, because you can’t really hoard them. Probably wants asset econ and next ice, rather than bioroids, amusingly. I suspect Ryon might be a trap.

3 Likes

Played it with @kiv big bioroid shell and it felt way better than anything else I made. Agendas were 3x prireq, 3x SDC, and 3x ABT. Heimdall 2.0, Janus, and Wotan’s all over to put the runner in tough spots.

Still needed a kill option. I had like one snare. Inazuma was great as a supplement to a rezzed Bioroid. But don’t use it with Howler, I actually read the card today and saw it’s effect is only for the next ICE. I didn’t get anyone with it, but if I did, I would’ve felt bad.

Here’s the list, since most of the stuff here seems to be about Mushin and Traps.

Cybernetics Division: Humanity Upgraded

Agenda (9)
3x Accelerated Beta Test
3x Priority Requisition
3x Self-Destruct Chips

Asset (4)
3x Jackson Howard •••
1x Snare! ••

Operation (14)
3x Bioroid Efficiency Research
3x Green Level Clearance
3x Hedge Fund
3x Oversight AI ••••• •
2x Successful Demonstration

Barrier (7)
2x Eli 1.0
3x Heimdall 2.0
2x Wotan

Code Gate (2)
2x Inazuma ••••

Sentry (5)
2x Ichi 2.0
3x Janus 1.0

Other (3)
3x Howler

44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

3 Likes

My first pass did pretty well for me at Cambridge Regionals:

Dain Bramage - Fun Deck for Cambridge Regionals 2015

Agenda (10)

Asset (7)

Operation (12)

Barrier (4)

Code Gate (4)

Sentry (6)

Other (1)

44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.
Click for description and strategy!

My version is 3xSnare! and one Junebug (the 1c to fire I was hoping to surprise someone trying to get my overwriter). I’m 4-0, but probably not a good sample and definitely not against expert opposition. 3 of the 4 wins were due to snares, 2 of them out of R&D. I’ve been pleased with Snare. It also lets me run my self destruct chips as never advance.

What isn’t good – economy. It blows (I’m using Adonis + shell corp). Agenda flood blows. I feel like I have too many traps, but I never want to have a Mushin without an agenda or a trap. I need to try a pure event based econ (the 4 size hand limit hurts and event based lets me clear them out more easily).

Vamp and account siphon is a real problem as I am completely toothless without credits. However, I did have two people deliberately run 3 advanced overwriters to kill my shell corp. I figured that was a crazy move (and it was, directly led to kills afterward).

I mostly feel terribly exposed to R&D lock and credit denial. I feel like good players will not fall for its tricks once they know what game I’m playing.

1 Like

My first pass at what’s likely a fun but not good enough deck…

Cybernetics Division Test

Agenda (9)
2x NAPD Contract (Double Time)
3x Project Vitruvius (Cyber Exodus)
1x Project Wotan (Creation and Control)
2x Self-Destruct Chips (Chrome City)
1x Utopia Fragment (The Source)

Asset (15)
3x Adonis Campaign (Core Set)
3x Brain-Taping Warehouse (The Valley)
3x Cerebral Overwriter (Creation and Control)
3x GRNDL Refinery (Fear and Loathing) ••••• •
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••

Operation (6)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Mushin No Shin (Honor and Profit) ••••• •

Barrier (3)
3x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)

Code Gate (4)
2x Viktor 1.0 (Core Set)
2x Viktor 2.0 (Creation and Control)

Sentry (7)
3x Architect (Up and Over)
2x Ichi 1.0 (Core Set)
2x Janus 1.0 (What Lies Ahead)
44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Chrome City

Went against a version with Pri reqed Orions on Hq with Ryon Knight in wait, Capital Investors/clearances for cash…
seemed ok

So does every one think that this ID has to be played as a kill ID, im thinking that this might be better as a never advance, using the 3/2 agendas, and a scorch plan, with some other brain damage stuff thrown in. this lets you use biotics to Finnish of scoring if the kill doesnt happen.

i feel the mushin/overwriter thing requires on the runner making a mistake.

I think that ideally there has to be some aspect to the deck that uses the lowered hand size as an advantage toward winning the game. Having a flatline option seems like the easiest way, because a couple brain damage does a lot farther with a 4 hand size than a 5.

I like the idea of a scorch plan in theory, but you have to import so much influence to make it happen, and that on top of also getting enough money to make a trace happen for the tag, and include 3/2s, and include some brain damage that the runner is actually going to hit… it’s a lot to get into a 40-44 card deck.

3 Likes