Data Leak Reversal Cheese

I’ve finally got off my lazy ass and built a Data Leak Reversal/Paparazzi cheese deck. Here is the list that I have been piloting on Jinteki.net:

Plain Slice: Hayley DLR/Paparazzi cheese deck

Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar (Breaker Bay)

Event (15)

Resource (27)

Icebreaker (1)

Program (2)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Universe of Tomorrow

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

This is not my original idea – there has been several minor discussions of the combo, but I haven’t seen a central thread on Stimhack.com. Apologies if one exists that I missed it.

The deck is rather straightforward. Totally ignore the Corp, except for the single Archives run you need to put DLR on the table. Then accumulate more and more Wireless Net Pavilions, Fall Guy, All-Nighter, and a Hyperdriver. When you’re ready, install Paparazzi (if possible on the end of the opponent’s turn – you can trigger Hayley off a Street Peddler install and get Paparazzi from your hand), and mill away. There are links to a bunch of example games at the end of this post.

The good news: This combo is rather easy to stop. Seed a Jackson on the table so you’re safe on the turn they go ballistic, then either pop a Corporate Town (scoring beforehand is rather easy) or play All Seeing I (they’re tagged thanks to Paparazzi).

Another option is to accumulate a nice pile of money: if they have 2x Fall Guy and 2x WNPs, you will need 12c for the Fall Guys, then another 6c for each copy of Paparazzi or DLR, whichever they have less off. Math is slightly more painful if they get they’re patient and get the full house (3x WNP and 3x Fall Guy), though in that scenario you might be able to score ahead if you’re vigilant.

The bad news: This deck is yucky. With a decent opening it is very fast, able to set up the combo with reasonable protection in just a few turns. If you’re unlucky as Corp, you would not be able to deflect it – you haven’t drawn your Jackson or your 1x All Seeing I, and they’ll just mill away.

It should be relatively easy to build variants of this with other Runners (Valencia for Blackmail and All Seeing I protection, Andromeda with an innocent-looking Crim shell that packs a mid-game punch).

I am still undecided whether this is harmless jank or a force to be reckoned (and worried) about. If you didn’t have a chance already, I suggest printing some proxies of WNP and giving this a shot. Also, I’m welcome to ideas on how to counter this, especially out of current Corp builds and without wasting slots on Corp Town or ASI.

6 Likes

I hope its jank.

Could also slot in x2 Freelancers if this style ever becomes the deck to beat. It would probably do the trick if you didn’t want to spend the influence on All Seeing I right?

I have tinkered somewhat with the Leaky Net Paparazzi archetype myself, and it definitely has teeth. Particularly out of Hayley for the reduced setup time - as you note, it really can be scarily quick to establish the dreaded DLR lock. I have also tried it out of Valencia - the highly increased setup time really hurts however, but her ID has built-in defence against the All-Seeing I (one of the only counters), she gets to run Joshua B and she even gets to snipe remotes against desperate Corps with Blackmail.

It really will be amusing if Freelancer finally gets its time in the sun. :smile:

1 Like

Considering All Seeing I is only 1 influence and does a board wipe, it is probably the way to go.

Activist Support isn’t bad either actually in a anarch build. Wireless/Fall Guy keeps it safe and keeps your bad pub up. Probably a no go with MaxX? Too easy to mill away something you need?

Edit - That would be in addition to Paparazzi. Probably. Being Immune to Meat Damage is probably a better trade off than chancing the scorch.

every since Universe of Tomorrow released, i’ve been wanting to try a deck like this, but i hadn’t even considered the ID yet, and Hayley seems really solid. i’ll probably give something like this a go once it’s finally available.

one Overmind as your only breaker with no way to recur it or reset is probably a mistake, especially with the three Dirty Laundries and 2 Injects. all of that together just doesn’t seem to work together to me.
also what is Easy Mark doing? getting you back up after Closed Accounts? (if so, i think it’s pretty solid)

Fall Guy is also probably not necessary here, though he does install click-free along with something else, so i guess it’s not exactly a drain either.

Interesting. I’ve been considering more of a hybrid choice out of Reina (slows the corp’s game to allow for set-up time, and hamper the 2nd corp solution). Hopefully it’ll give her a strong late game to build towards, plus in-faction options like Joshua B (multiple 5 turns of DLR vs one big turn) or Amped Up or Stim Dealer.
Questions: Did you build with Hayley just for the faster set-up (not that any of the key components are particularly influence-heavy) or is Hyperdriver that clutch?
Why Overmind? It seems like Overmind would hamper your development, as it means you can’t install a hyperdriver until you’ve put down a DLR. Crypsis instead?

Just when you had written off Hellion Alpha Test…

5 Likes

That’s so good. Can we change the thread title to “Leaky Net Paparazzi - DLR Cheese”?

I used to run a version out of Andy that used The Source (you have Fall Guy already), Siphon and Vamp to slow the corp down while you set up the board. Since they’re going to score while you set up, Logos worked reasonably well. You’d hostage out Josh B and go for several turns of 5-click milling. I gave it up because it was hard to keep the corp on zero and dodge the scorch. Paparazzi dodges so many of those problems, and I think the actual DLR part of the deck can now be a lot more compact and you can fit in more criminal tricks.

The other idea that looks promising is putting it in a headlock-style Reina deck, using the Lampreys etc to slow the corp while you set up. Every turn they purge buys you time.

I had posted this in the Untested thread but I’ll dump it here, too. Gonna start testing it this week probably, maybe I’ll stream it some. I’ve seen people mostly trying this out of Shaper, which confuses me a bit. Sure you get QT & Diesel in faction, but Anarchs get Inject and IHW. I am gonna try it in MaxX first, even though it will make it more unstable.

MaxX, Tabloid Queen

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (12)

Resource (30)

Icebreaker (3)

• 3x Faust (The Underway)

13 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

3 Levy because I found myself with tons of free influence and didn’t want to play SOT. Ideally with 3 you’ll at least be able to play one. Still, I feel that other Anarch IDs would be better. Maybe Valencia with some Blackmail to poke remotes (along with Faust).

Haarpsichord Studio?

Or, more likely, an Old Hollywood Grid, Ash or Red Herrings on Archives?

Edit: Scratch that, Ash doesn’t work, but the others do. There may be some cards I’m missing too.

If you have room for 3 more cards, slot spoilers in Anarch.

I played apex with wireless net pavilion, paparazzi, and some other non virtual resource, and after it was all said and done, gang sign and spoilers really came through and saved me the embarrassment of losing because I wasn’t getting cerebral static shoved in my face enough. 3 of those suckers really make for a bad time, especially with 1 and 2 point agendas

So …
I played a lot of a modified version of this deck (just some tweaking here and there, nothing really relevant on the gameplan).
The good part : It set-up really fast. You can have your milling engine + 1-2 Fall guy and 1-2 Pavillion on the board by turn 4-6 and be able to mill 10-15 cards in one turn.
Realistically, you can expect to mill around 18 and 22-23 cards before being “forced” to use your hades shard or to run remote if for some reason your shard is either buried deep down your deck or you trashed it with peddler.

The bad part: You can’t pressure remote, at all. Having a single overmind is simply put, clearly not enough. You can’t even check multiple naked remotes because doing so is just going to slow you down way too much on your mill-engine setup. And if you start to check the naked remote after you have your mill engine setup, that’s a lot of clicks who won’t be used for milling your opponent.

So if your opponent understand what are you doing, they will rush behind one or two gearcheck by turn 2 or 3 and try to save as much as possible with jackson so your hades shard won’t be relevant enough. As long as the corp doesn’t tilt because a tons of cards got milled, there’s already enough counterplay in our current deck to beat something like this.

We also tried something similar out of Valencia with Blackmail / Siphon recursion at our gameshop and we found out that the setup was way too slow to be really dangerous.

In conclusion, the idea is neat and the deck is cute, but I don’t think we have to be really worried by this kind of deck in any foreseable future.

11 Likes

I think the shell will do damage actually. I don’t think it’ll be good enough to win consistently. I don’t mind the idea of netrunner having decks that are a fast clock.

I think this deck should be out of Val or Quetzal with Blackmail and/or Faust to stop gear check rush not cause any problems. That said, it’ll be tough to determine when to just go all in on combo, and when to force the corp to play netrunner.

I wonder how flexible the WNP, DLR, Fall Guy (+pap?) is as a module in a keyhole deck. It’s only 9 cards, 3inf.

1 Like

my general feeling, having played against this shit so many times since hyperdriver (though not with WNP/paparazzi yet) in my jank-as-hell IRL meta. a couple of notes:

• save any Shutdowns for Hyperdrivers or the things that will tutor/recur them. really takes a lot of the bite out if that first turn if only 4-7 cards instead of 12-16.

• rush agendas behind basic gear checks - honestly I start almost every (non ppvp kate) game this way these days; just to see if the runner will challenge me. by the time they’re set up there’s a good chance you’ll be on game point or better.

3 Likes

This is the Andromeda version I’ve been testing. Surprisingly good results so far, although that may just be because it took my opponents by surprise.

Full description on NetrunnerDB.

The Tech Bubble

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie (Humanity’s Shadow)

Event (17)

Hardware (1)

Resource (24)

Icebreaker (3)

14 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

Gotta ask. How did Apex get wireless networks pavillion and papparazzi out? Did you cerebral him?

He didn’t, I just thought it was such a good idea at the time. Like an idiot. Damn no meat body

1 Like

My version of the deck

The stupid deck

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie (Humanity’s Shadow)

Event (20)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Blackmail (Fear and Loathing)
3x Career Fair (Breaker Bay)
1x Drive By (The Underway)
2x Easy Mark (Core Set)
1x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
3x Inside Job (Core Set)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) [color=#32CD32]•••[/color]
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Resource (23)
1x Activist Support (True Colors) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Data Leak Reversal (Future Proof) [color=#FF4500]•••[/color]
2x DDoS (The Universe of Tomorrow) [color=#FF4500]••••• •[/color]
3x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
3x Fall Guy (Double Time)
1x Hades Shard (First Contact) [color=#708090]•[/color]
3x Paparazzi (Old Hollywood)
1x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Wireless Net Pavilion (The Universe of Tomorrow)

Icebreaker (2)
2x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
45 cards (min 45)

Andy makes it fast.
DDOS in combination with inside job against rush.
Activist against All seeing AI and activates Blackmails (yay)
Femme and DDOS for landing siphons.
The rest should be obvious.

3 Likes

My own take on the DLR Cheese :

Hayley DLR

Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar (Breaker Bay)

Event (14)

Hardware (2)

Resource (23)

Icebreaker (3)

Program (3)

45 cards (min 45)

It’s pretty much like @IirionClaus deck but with, I think, a more fine-tuned draw engine, and some actual breakers to keep the corp honest if they try to rush out. It also help to make a legwork mid to late game in case the corp is hoarding a couple of agendas in HQ (which is pretty much the safer place for agenda against this kind of DLR deck).

3 Likes