[Devils Cake] - MaxX Faust Decks With Wyldside

I did a couple of videos with @CJFM with my Maxximim Punk Bach deck.

6 Likes

I meant to get those in the opener, and will do. You should cross post the streams to Reddit

Went 5 -0 in league tonight. Still think itā€™s the best deck Iā€™ve played in netrunner

Still running your 50-card deck or running Podoboyz?

Iā€™m still on my version because Iā€™m lazy and donā€™t tweak card board very often.

Just tried out Maximum Punk Bachā€¦ The decklist here is a bit outdated it seems? I can tell why the Katiā€™s got changed out. TOO BUSY ROCKIN OUT. I do like the Ice Carver though. Occasionally makes Turing awkward, more often makes Mimic AWESOME. (Suck on that, Ichi! Back to the doghouse for you, Data Hound!)

Holy crap. The difference between Having Wyldside and Not is enormous. More so than any other deck Iā€™ve ever played, even Noise. (All Noise. Because he loves his clubs.) So much pure velocity that I was faced with so many choices, and usually the right choice was ā€˜Fck it, just go run the thing.ā€™ and walk in for a couple credits and a couple cards that Iā€™m gonna pitch anyway.

I definitely donā€™t like only 2 Deja Vu, but Iā€™ll defer for now until I get more information.

I actually really like the Data Folding in that deck, but Grimoire seems like the safer choice than Turntable while running it.

1 Like

Frame it. Ship it.

As far as deja, typically spending clicks recurring things is spending clicks not pressuring. Your quote is exactly why I minimized my recur package. Wyldside typically gives you enough things to do when its on.

This should be the quote on a MaxX alt art.

3 Likes

Glad you are trying out the deck. Itā€™s a home run hitter. Ice Carver was a replacement for NRE, and then when I slotted the Sucker I noticed I never really played the Carver. Most strength 4 ice you just break with Faust, not Mimic, so Carver des nothing there. 2 Deja Vu is optimal because you almost never mill all your recursion with Wyldside, and you rather be putting pressure on then Deja Vuing something that will take up a slot in your hand.
On @hhoooā€™s point, Data Folding is superb, and you definatly need the drip Econ. You rarly ever play your full breaker suite, so the MU is not an issue , plus I only have one virus, so Grimore is not close to worth it.

1 Like

Yeah; the reason I want the full 3 Deja is to more quickly find the first Wyldside. Because youā€™re generally more likely to trash it than draw it. (The last game I played the first card binned was Wyldside, and it took me four more turns of Click-Draw + MaxX to find a Deja or a Wyldside.)

Iā€™ll keep trying Carver, but for now itā€™s a MU-less Datasucker that I donā€™t have to charge and can only use once per ICE, soā€¦ In general I like breaking some ICE for a credit instead of two cards.

If youā€™re really worried about finding the first Wyldside give Inject a try, since it still offers good value in the late game (sudden burst of Faust fodder to break into a server, or to find your econ). Iā€™ve cut Deja from my lists in favor of Retrieval Run & havenā€™t missed it.

These Wyldside MaxX decks are the most fun Iā€™ve ever had playing Netrunner. And Iā€™ve always had a shit ton of fun playing Netrunner.

1 Like

What do you think of 2x Keyhole over the Medium and Nerve Agent package?

Is the HQ threat even necessary? I found myself never installing it at my last GNK.

I guess test key hole and let us know how it does. Itā€™s not a lock card which is what i tend to prefer. If you find yourself with the mu, might be worth it.

Hq that might not be necessary, but i find it valuable. Helps with yellow

Nerve Agent is just too slow. Repeated runs with Keyhole is too taxing on Faust. Thatā€™s why I believe Legwork and Makers Eye are the answer.

2 Likes

Not sure how repeated Keyhole runs are more taxing that repeated Medium runs, although I do see @gumOnShoeā€™s logic on lock vs non-lock. Plusā€¦ Who cares about the tax? I start each turn with 8+ cards and have 2x Levy. Iā€™m also on NRE and Ice Carver with RegAss breakers.

Iā€™m going to test it as gum suggests. Weā€™ll see.

T1 with my QueenCake
Clic 1/2 Gambit
Clic 3/4 Gambit
17cr, whatā€™s up bro :smile:

I have excellent returns with Utopia Shard (that did not change).

Botched a 1st Levy too, with 3 deja / 1 sot. Put +1Trope +1sot to bring the deck to 47 just to be sure because gosh that was quite frustrating. :confused:

Iā€™ve been working on this deck for a while now following this thread and your posts on NRDB. Part of what Iā€™m seeing is that there are two flavors of this deck, Grimoire-berry and DJMaXX.

The grimoire version looks a lot like noise with lots of viruses and the ability to parasite melt ice. It wins best by from melting R&D ice and going for the big medium dig. It has an excellent long game due to its ability to support multiple anarch breakers and faust. It struggles with CVS as Dan Dā€™Argenio aptly said of the old RegAssMaXX.

The turntable version seems to be more aggressive and multi accesses in bursts with makerā€™s and legwork. Its much less vulnerable to CVS but more reliant on faust cutlery to make openings.

A few questions for both if youā€™ll pardon the length:

-What econ package works best? (dirty laundry, data folding, queenā€™s gambitā€¦)?
-How do you handle the anti-AI ice in your experience (turing, swordsman, wraparound)?
-Which match ups are stronger for your flavor of MaXX cakes?

Iā€™m not super experienced with the deck yet, but Iā€™ve been running both versions, and Iā€™m leaning more towards Turntable with Data Folding. With Data Folding out, I can make a ton of money throughout the duration of the game, supplementing the steady supply of credits from Daily Casts, Sure Gamble, and Liberated. Sometimes I want to install more than two programs, but I find that getting the Turntable installed is rarely difficult (held in hand or via Deja Vu), OR the third program is really more a luxury than something I actually need.

I like Legwork and Makerā€™s because multiple Medium runs against R&D is tough with Faust. Obviously with Parasite that becomes more feasible, so I guess itā€™s the the prevalence of CVS that makes me feel less confident going the virus-heavy route.

Anti-AI tech can be annoying, but again, thereā€™s enough recursion that getting Faust back on the table is pretty easy. That said, I do try to get Mimic installed early if I suspect awful low strength sentries (Komainu, Tsurugi) or Swordsman. Often Faust plus one breaker is enough. Depending on the matchup, that other breaker is either Mimic or Corroder. Havenā€™t played a ton against HB with the deck, but obviously Zule would be the pick in that matchup. Iā€™ll pay the cards to get through Architect if I need to, and Eli usually gets the double-click Knifing.

The deck has felt super strong against, like, everything. Three cards a turn just floods you with options. Iā€™ve been flatlined, once, but that was against a Haarpsichord deck that rocked me with 24/7 + Traffic Accident even though I had two Iā€™ve Had Worses in hand.

Again, I havenā€™t played this deck a ton (maybe 20 games?), but goddamn if feels good.

Iā€™ll leave it to the better MaxX players to give better feedback, but thatā€™s my two cents.

1 Like

I tend towards the Turntable build but agree that there are two varieties and they have different strengths. Iā€™ll try to answer your questions briefly:

Econ

Dirty Laundry has been golden for me, itā€™s so playable. Youā€™re drawing a lot so on the turns where you donā€™t run you want to be able to get value & avoid discarding; Iā€™d play Easy Mark if it didnā€™t cost influence. Daily Casts is similarly good.

Iā€™ve moved away from click-intensive econ like Gambit or Kati Jones. Liberated is borderline but works so well with Career Fair, which is excellent & helps with the aforementioned dropping cards problem.

Anti-AI ICE

Corroder for Wraparound, Mimic for Swordsman, Yog for Turing. Corroder for Wraparound, Mimic for Swordsman, Yog for Turing.

Swordsman is the worst of those & I still think you could get by without Mimic, but there are ulterior benefits to having the full suite of core set breakers. Also note that you can force odd placement (e.g. Turing on centrals) & hold regular breakers in hand to bait the corp into thinking theyā€™re secure.

Match-ups

Rush decks are an incredibly good matchup, for either build. Your ability to break into 90% of servers early with little setup makes it tough for them to score the early agendas they rely upon.

Glacier is a good matchup if you can stay on top of their asset economy & deny them a remote, but be mindful that youā€™re on a clock. Glacierā€™s best bet is to slowly turtle up & score only when you overextend yourself. Focus on ICE destruction.

NBN is the one matchup where the Turntable build has a significantly easier time, IMO. Cyberdex is more prevalent & Turntable is the only answer to the Astro train. Slower builds have to trash assets & RnD lock.

I havenā€™t played a ton of kill decks but the matchup looks good. Iā€™ve Had Worse is great obviously, you just have to be careful not to overuse Faust & access or end your turn with too few cards in hand.