[Devils Cake] - MaxX Faust Decks With Wyldside

I’m not a fan of Data Folding in general, & not in this deck. Counting the click to play as worth one credit, it’s five turns until you’re even seeing a profit, seven turns until it’s as efficient as Dirty Laundry. What’s more, it’s then out of your deck each time you cycle through; it only takes ≈7 turns the second time through your whole stack with Wyldside MaxX, so you might’ve seen a Dirty Laundry or a similar quick econ card again by then. Cards that profit quickly are also playable even when you know the game won’t go but a few more turns. Career Fair affects those numbers a lot but there are still better targets for it.

To each their own, I’m not saying DF isn’t viable, but I’m not sold on it.

1 Like

I lean heavily to the Punk Bach side (lol, I made it, why wouldn’t I) but in my experience, you have to try and cram as much drip economy in there as possible. That’s why the foldings work so well. The burst economy is nice in the early game, but your clicks are more valuable in this deck that other decks (or at least it feels that way) so you don’t want to be doing something hat isn’t really worth your time (clicking Kati, dirty laundrying and empty archives). Turntable is MVP, you don’t really need parasites, it’s just a luxury that I don’t want to pay influance for.
That said, the Grimore-Parasite version is very strong, but less well rounded IMO. You can’t put on as much early pressure, and you have to use some suboptimal economy (examples above) to keep up the pressure. With Punk Bach you can adjust to your opponents playstyle. If they want to play a long game, try and get a early Makers Eye. If they want to play Fastro, sit back, build up, occasionally apply pressure, then when they score the first Astro, slap down they Turntable and bombard them with Legworks and Makers Eye.
So far, I’ve found RP to be the worst matchup because it taxes clicks(like I said before, those are more valuable) and they have some nasty Faust tech, and you just have to play thier game. The reason the deck is so good is, if you are forced too, you can play the game the opponent wants to play and beat them at it.

Best eco package is Daily Jobs x 9.

Unfortunately, you have to put more things there and make choices : there is no “best solution”, it’s like asking which cake is best cake.

I would not specially agree with Dirty Laundries (and event runs in general, but that is me) because your main breaker is Faust.
Dirty Laundry makes you discard a card before actually breaking something.

I don’t really like staying ressources like foldings which are not eco-friendly.
When I Larla, I like that a few more cards are back in stack, and I like that a third or a big quarter of it is of economical nature.
That’s a few of the reasons I took Queen, which is the best eco event in the game, at a cost of telling the corp to actually risk agendas in remotes. When this goes rigth, with agenda you have at least ashes & friends.

A permanent eco solution like Kati x2 “just in case” is also somehow useful though. The problem of Kati is… Well, it’s always “too early to install, I can drop it” until it’s too late.

My best matchups are glacier and rush. Weyland usually can’t beat me without an expert behind the wheel. Hb had a rough time too. Yellow requires perfect play on my end. Jinteki card management is important, but medium usually wins.

Parasite gives me more play vs turing and swordsman. But this means i use my mu. I usually corroder for wrap. D4 is fine. Faust can and does break wrap.

Economy. I like my package. I can’t use folding. No mem for it. Laundry is usually used checking remote or on a cheap Faust run. So i get to compress with pressure. Lib is just solid. Went up to 40 creds vs grndl yesterday staying out of scotch range.

Here’s the thing. My deck is a control deck. It’s about managing the board state to top in your favor. The other deck is an agro machine that just hired hard all of the time.

I probably want to play rebirth when it drops so that the second levy I’ve got a longer game. In the meantime I’m going to find space for a second medium and try to get down to 47 cards. Nbn has given me motivation to change a bit.

Also i see the value of folding. It keeps you up so that you’re never broke.

@gumOnShoe I looked at your deck yesterday and when seeing 1x Netready + 1x Carver + Grimoires + Parasites… I was wondering, have you tried 2x Scrubbed instead of Netready + Carver ?

It’s not exactly the same function I’d agree, but with is a potential of 6 currents and Grimoire, if you drop Parasite on outermost ice, it would mean “in theory” str3 insta trash, or str4 insta trash with a ds counter.

+2 inf, which could be almost a CC, an Utopia + something, a Maker’s Eyes, …

Prices these days are ridiculous

3 Likes

My phone upgraded recently and auto corrects a lot of stuff to be alcohol. This is what the future means for humanity. Prankster programmers.

Scrubber is a fine card; if Calimsha’s NBN becomes the deck to beat I’ll probably consider finding space for them or something of similar caliber, but I’d probably rather Imp over scrubber since I’ve got plenty of cash and grimoire.

I might lose the carver and nre anyways; testing some things.

I think he was talking about Scrubbed, the Anarch current.

1 Like

I’ve never really found scrubber to be that good against NEH. You often can’t afford the clicks to use it 4+ times in succession to make sure it pays itself back. It’s a much better card against decks like RP, foodcoats, etc. Imp is the better card vs NBN, for sure. Besides the tempo, you also get to use it to trash scorches.

Carver is occasionally underwhelming, but NRE has been excellent for me recently, in Shaper and Anarch.

Edit: Just saw the Scrubbed clarification. Interesting, but how many corp currents are really seeing play outside of Sol? Maybe the odd ELP, but the side benefit of a runner current over the Carvis or NRE doesn’t seem too hot.

2 Likes

Scrubbed? :o

That’s a card?

Eh…

Alright, lets do an analysis:

1. Costs credits for a temporary advantage.
  2. Only helps vs 1 ice pre turn. Its a card that’s going to cost us 2 credits to save us 1 card per turn.
  3. But it won’t help at all if the first ice we encounter is lotus field or str 2.
  4. Could help parasite str 3 ice immediately, which seems pretty cool.
  5. Its a current, so its going to dissapear quickly against anyone who can score an agenda (NBN)
  6. It inconveniently moves Archer to str 4 so that D4 can’t break it.
  7. If I face check an ice, and parasite it afterwards I have to wait a turn for scrubbed to kick in again.

I think this card is interesting, but it might actually make some of our matchups worse. If instant speed parasites were a thing, it’d have more value. If Lotus Field wasn’t a thing, it’d have more value. If it happened every run, it’d have more value. If you got to pick which ice it happened to each turn, it’d have more value.

Right now it looks like chum. Best case scenario looks pretty good, but the corp can play around it with smart play and it’d ruin my day too often.

I’m not buying this card. Sell. Sell hard.

@anon34370798 where do you see value in this card?

3 Likes

@gumOnShoe There’s a few things related to tempo but I’m not sure of it, as you underlined its flaws.

• you have only one to find for making it work (similar to +1 hand size with Faust, but your solution is better for this)
  • -2 inf allowing you +1 maker’s eye
  • 2x event (aka non permanent ressource / hardware), meaning the size of your larlaed stack is +1/+2
  • fight currents, 6 times max
  • the second you find is sometimes food for faust (in your solution, you get to find the 2, pause to install and never see those back).
  • if you facechecked a str 4 like bastion, parasite it with grimoire, it die next turn unless the corp recover the ice & rez.
    (Turing, in Yog range, dies next turn with a ds token).

Just an idea, nothing else.

• you have only one to find for making it work (similar to +1 hand size with Faust, but your solution is better for this)

While its true you only need one, if a server has multiple ice the hard installs can potentially affect more than one ice saving you cards faster. This isn’t clear cut. It would require the ice be odd str. But that’s likely going to be the case with 1 of the ice on the server, so you probably can get a similar savings with just one of the cards we cut for scrubber, potentially multiple times a turn.

• -2 inf allowing you +1 maker’s eye

Perhaps the strongest aregument for dropping NRE. I’ve considered it, but its not an argument in favor of Scrubbed necessarily. Probably wouldn’t get ME, but 2 inf is 2 inf.

• 2x event (aka non permanent ressource / hardware), meaning the size of your larlaed stack is +1/+2

Hopefully not though. Hopefully the event stays in play and is active. If its not worth playing, it probably wasn’t worth playing carver or nre either.

• fight currents, 6 times max

The only current that bothers me sometimes is cerebral static, but its not really the end of the world. I think any corp committing to currents can overwrite scrubbed easily enough. If that meta existed, then maybe.

• the second you find is sometimes food for faust (in your solution, you get to find the 2, pause to install and never see those back).

Well, I don’t install them when I see them all of the time. There’s usually no need early game and if I do install them they hopefully make faust need less food.

• if you facechecked a str 4 like bastion, parasite it with grimoire, it die next turn unless the corp recover the ice & rez.(Turing, in Yog range, dies next turn with a ds token).

I usually see turing on the inside with an ichi or something on the outside. I’m not saying this never happens, but its probably not going to fix turing for yog. This is why I said its like chum, its positional and the corp can fight this by paying 1 or 2 credits pretty easily.

I see the allure, and the card is in the same “class of stuff”, but its probably better in a wyrm melt deck or something like that with 3x workshop.

1 Like

the only scrubbed interaction that’s entertaining is when you slot it in a deck because you forgot it’s only the first ICE encountered each turn, and not each run.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure you are going to want the Legwork considering how bad Nerve Agent is (and believe me, I like the idea of Nerve Agent, just not the results).

@Podoboyz99
Nerve agent is somehow good with Grimoire, but you may want Utopia Shard for support.

What I do with Grimoire, with Nerve + Utopia in hand so not in all games, is
Clic 1 install Nerve
Clic 2 run HQ / install utopia
Clic 3 run HQ / trash utopia / see 3 cards (which is a star move with Imp)
Clic 4 run archives

=> usually, the corp enters panic mode after this (but vs those decks, lots of corps do actually panic)

I prefer this than demoruns because Utopia stand for herself (for exemple in game gambit, since lots of corp ice primarily R&D - thank you, Keyhole Maxx).

While I too find Scrubbed underwhelming, I’d love to find a current that fits because they make tasty SoT targets. The problem is I’m not sure any of them provide enough value and many corps (especially NBN) are capable of forcing a score to remove them. Hacktivist Meeting is the frontrunner but I’d rather have Scrubber (R on the end!) in the asset-hate slot. I actually edited Employee Strike into a list but then cut if before I’d even sleeved up because I wasn’t sure what matchups it was solving (RP? Haarpsichord isn’t around enough post-MWL to warrant the hosing…).

I thoroughly enjoyed running Employee Strike out of my other decks (haven’t built MaxX yet). Absolutely hoses some IDs, and if you’re running faust anyway, it’s not exactly a “dead draw” if you use it to boost str/kill subs.

It even outright won me a game against a careless Haarp who let me trash their jackson first click with 7 points in archives. Click 2 play ES: corp, “Shit…” Click 3 win. I think it was like turn 4, too. Though, you’re right, I don’t see Haarp much anymore.

The ID’s that do see a lot of play generally don’t like ES either. PE, RP (REALLY hates it), EtF (though they can usually survive with it on the board), NEH really seems to slow down without that extra draw power, but a BN or set up FA will usually get rid of it fast enough. Whether it’s worth the influence/deck slot is another matter, but if you are looking to slot a current anyway, it’s pretty powerful a lot of the time.

As for Hactivist, I actually don’t see it as asset-hate, at least not directly. What it does do is force any corp that plays assets to make some bad choices. It either keeps the assets in their hand until they can get rid of it, which is good, or it puts things they’d want to keep in archives where it doesn’t do them any good, which is also good. The only problem is if they have a Jackson on the board, then they can just pitch agendas in archives when installing assets.

Made top 4 at a MWL Store Champs in Notts, UK with the RegCakes version of this inc. Data Folding. I threw in a Medium because reasons.

Had an absolute blast with this deck. Never won a playmat before and this carried me to 2nd out of 19. Won games vs Harmony Medtech, NEH FA (I turntables an Astro token \o/) and RP Glacier. Lost once in Swiss to Foodcoats; felt a little unluck making it to 4 pts but not getting any more despite 3 makers and a legwork. The remote play was too strong with Caprice and Ash. Dropped another game to Foodcoats in the eliminations when my opponent cleverly distracted me with trashing assets (scrubber was great) despite being agenda flooded. Legwork a turn earlier would have been a different story.

If anyone has tips vs Foodcoats I’d love to hear them. Only thing I felt I could do better here was to force Rezzed to protect asset econ.

Either way I definitely felt I had the tools. Thanks for posting the writeup, made me love MaxX again after dropping off RegAss.

6 Likes

Do your best to keep them off asset Econ in the first couple turns, then (depending on the situation) you want to set up. Getting Wyldcakes later is not a big problem. Continue to make probing runs, then in the late game just recur Makers Eye.

2 Likes

Adding to the success stories with this type of deck. I was 5th at a Store Champs on Saturday (22 players) with this deck. 3 wins against HB, NEH, Sol. 1 close loss to NEH ( 7-5 and missed last beale on a 50/50 HQ ) . Went with a slightly tweaked version to what I saw Kiv playing ( grimoire, medium ). must have killed 20+ ice across the 4 games. Never used the 2nd levy but was to needing it in a few games.