E. Kim Appreciation Thread

Im impressed by your in depth response, and id like to respond in kind. Currently im in the pub drinking away a bit of a crushing defeat of a day but will try and give a proper response tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update here, I hosted the first qualifier for the GLC today, 21 people came! I took second playing Kim, my one runner loss being a game called on time with a score of 2 to 0 (Corp was a slow cling for life for 50 minutes). Overall I was fantastically pleased with my Kim deck, and the ratios are finally perfect for my playstyle and the current Corp meta. The event was great, players traveled from Indiana to us in Ohio and we even had a couple guys who took a 12-hour bus trip from New York to attend it!

But I digress. Kim is doing great things for me- anxiously awaiting the real test this weekend at Louisville Regionals.

Iā€™ll see you there >: )

1 Like

Thatā€™s very very close to my list. Iā€™m semi tempted to put 1x Special Order back in so that I have a slightly faster game vs. NEH. I guess I have 4 answers vs. a rushed Wraparound and 5 vs a quandary so meh. Turns out that Clot makes that deck worse but absolutely doesnā€™t end its existence.

Hereā€™s my list:

Oxford Ed

Edward Kim: Humanityā€™s Hammer (Order and Chaos)

Event (14)

Hardware (6)

• 3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢
  • 2x Desperado (Core Set) ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ ā€¢
  • 1x MemStrips (Order and Chaos)

Resource (7)

Icebreaker (7)

Program (11)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Valley

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I won against Titan (ToL + SanSan), HB EtF three times (all quite glaciery), Blue Sun and lost to NEH Butcherā€™s Shop. I blame myself for the loss to NEH, not the deck. I donā€™t get enough reps vs. NBN nobody plays it a casual game nights near me and I donā€™t get to as many tournaments as Iā€™d like. I got midseasoned, should have taken some time to clear tags but went yolo and it didnā€™t pay off. Traffic Accident missed the IHW and Ed was sad and dead. I missed the Midseasons in HQ a couple of times too.

I think the baby is great, but I can live without it so I only have 1. Same with Scrubber. Everybody hates Armitage, but it makes me click for credits more, which is something I donā€™t do enough. It could probably be a third liberated.

I donā€™t particularly care for Hacktivist. If I included a current it would be mainly as a dispell for ELP and Iā€™d probably choose Scrubbed.

Iā€™m basically happy with Ed as a Good Stuff Anarch ID. His ability was massive in my win vs Blue Sun and really crippled the corps econ by smashing a bunch of transactions. I didnā€™t keep a running total, I guess somewhere like 2 activations per game. I should try the same list in Reina to see how that compares.

Inject/Earthrise is debatable. Inject is such good value though. Thereā€™s a chance Iā€™ll be sad about being Blacklisted at some point. I think Iā€™ll stick with the Inject.

Nerve Agent is a good card, especially vs RP. People should play it. DĆ©jĆ  Vu is too good when itā€™s good to not include as a 1 of.

4 Likes

Right iv put the pint glass down for long enough to give a proper response :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but this is considering that the only case you want the plascrete for is GT > punitive. Although i concede that was the example being discussed, my points in my previous post were discussing plascrete for a wider set of cases. Punitive remains relevant for a great many instances where you have stolen an agenda, particularly as decks packing punitive also run a higher number of 5/3 agendas for obvious reasons. Regarding draw probabilites, i dont know what to tell you. Iv never had a game where iv needed it and not had it, or had to dig heavily for it.

No it doesnt impact it, again this is true. But i know what kind of deck im playing against after 2-3 accesses, or many times simply within 3-4 turns by paying attention to their play, their discards and installs. Blue Sun in particular has a very narrow set of variations that are easy to spot. NEH Midseasons is a bit trickier. But the decks where you know to expect meat damage are still i would argue, easy to spot and once you do, spend the click and get the plascrete down. If you never need it then great. If you dont need to install it, then yes its a blank card.

I think the problem here is we have talked past each other a little, i agree tech-ing solely against GT is a bit daft. Thatā€™s not the reason i think 1x plascrete is a good idea, albeit possibly a meta dependent one. I can see in my post that you quoted i was being pretty vague about the other cases where plascrete is a good support card, with my reference to recursion it still appears i am arguing for a counter to GT > punitive only. So apologies for that, but i hope it can go without saying that recurring punitive, or grabbing another with an atlas token, after a 5/3 can be still a game finisher.

The example i should of given, and i admit i didnā€™t, but one that really catches anarch decks out that rely solely on IHW, is traffic accident > scorch. This gets a lot of mileage in butcher shop NEH, and was the primary reason after dying to it a lot in my meta for including 1x plas. You can be sitting on a 5 card hand and an IHW (arguably an ideal position), feeling pretty safe from scorch and even double scorch, then traffic accident hits and snipes 2 cards missing your IHW each time. The regularity this happens with is maddening, then scorch closes the game.

Same here, for ages, then the lotus field lockout had me put in 1x knight. Thing is, knight is a good card for other cases as well, i wouldnā€™t consider it dead against decks that donā€™t run lotus field, as much as i wouldnā€™t consider atman a dead draw against decks without a lot of str 4 ICE.

My argument isnā€™t that its important to tech against every single case, just shore up your deck in the areas it can be most vulnerable. I think IHW can make an anarch deck easy to play recklessly (for me anyway) so the added buffer of plascrete iv found to be valuable enough, regularly enough, to think its a solid include.

1 Like

The average is interesting, i had games where i kim smashed 4-6 ops, games where i had lock and i hit an op each and every turn. Some games i missed the window and didnt hit a single one.

Yeah going the Desperado route is the right call, I think. Very nice looking list.

Did you miss Daily Casts as clickless econ? And were you happy with the Armitage/Liberated ratio. Liberated is quite awkward in Kim imo. Armitage is less of a tempo hit, and the big money you get through Kati anyway. I ended up cutting Liberated entirely and havenā€™t looked back.

Why not play both?

Was the Memstrips worth it (serious here)? Or could you manage with only 5 MU?

I guess you can play Casts instead of Liberated/Armitage/Scrubber. Econ is Econ though, right. Daily Casts would be way better if it said gain 8 even though it wouldnā€™t be clickless any more. As I said previously sometimes the best move is to click for credits. Arimitage and Liberated make that more efficient and I donā€™t click for 1 credit enough. I find with Desperado and a lot of ice destruction thereā€™s usually a server you can farm sucker tokens from while clicking up to 6.

What do I take out? I donā€™t want any less money, I already want more mediums/nerve agents/imps. IHW is the best draw card in the game. Inject is on par with QT/Diesel. Earthrise is really good too but different.

I drew it once and didnā€™t need it. I would have loved it once when it didnā€™t show up. I think I insist because a battery of datasuckers is really upsetting for a corp and with 5 MU you canā€™t afford to have a battery. A lot of my deck is parasite and parasite support, I expected to see more Blue Sun which neuters that if you donā€™t have too many datasucker tokens for the corp to deal with. Also no MU cards is really bad, so I like having 3 rather than 2. So the answer is no, not this time, but Iā€™m stubborn so itā€™s staying in. If I could find influence for a third desperado Iā€™d probably put that in instead of the MemStrips.

Iā€™d definitely leave in Armitage, Iā€™m not saying to replace but to supplement. I was also asking if you missed having Casts at all. I play it and I like the drip, but I usually feel bad paying the 3 cred install costā€¦

Idk, but with Desperado and Imp, maybe Scrubber can be cut? Spooned perhaps as well, because with Atman and Knight, you already have good Lotus Field solutions? With 3 Clone Chips, a third Inject could be nice as well.

Not saying these are clear-cut improvements, but Iā€™m floating ideas here to help you get stuff faster.

Good thoughts.

Spooned is there because Tollbooth is (or at least ought to be) everywhere at the moment. Spooned and D4v1d/Atman/Datasucker makes it look silly. Scrubber out Casts in is plausible, but Scrubber is sometimes worth 10+ credits. The scrubber would possible be better as another Imp, maybe Iā€™m remembering the best cases. One big point in Scrubberā€™s favour is that he makes accessing centrals so much better. You donā€™t have to think twice about trashing assets/upgrades when you see them in centrals. Thatā€™s strong.

I really like all the suggestions that youā€™ve made for cards to put in. Iā€™m not sure I want to take any of the cards you suggest I cut out. Cutting to 45 is really hard.

Scrubber was a recent addition, I really like him.

2 Likes

As a side note can someone convince me to include NRE in my Kim build when it comes out, im finding it impossible to thematically justify Kim getting cybernetic implants when he wont even replace his goddamn hand on principal.

3 Likes

Heā€™s a racist. Racists are inherently hypocritical. The only reason he doesnā€™t get his hand fixed is because it is openly and publicly admitting that heā€™s wrong. Nobody but the surgeon needs to know about his Net Ready Eyes.

3 Likes

Consider Ice Carver as an influence-free alternative here as well.

Genius response, and entirely accurate. I get his is bitter over his wife/girlfriend dying (dont know if this is explained any better in the books) but yeah he is a massive racist isnt he. He could get NRE and be one of those self-hating cyborgs.

A la Will Smith in the movie adaptation of I, Robot.

Well not quite, but close enough.

1 Like

I played with symmetrical visage in my noiseshop deck when it (symvis) first came out, and coined many many choices phrases from playing it such ā€œclick 1, engage monstrous babyā€ and ā€œclick 3, consult the huge babyā€. My thing with NRE will be ā€œclick 1, install hypocrisy upgradesā€ or ā€œclick 2, fix my eyes before my hand stumpā€.

2 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it be more accurate to call Kim a Humanist? I wouldnā€™t call Bioroids a race of humans, but something else entirely.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure most racists donā€™t consider themselves racist. Ed Kim is a lunatic. But heā€™s a lunatic with a really big hammer, so Iā€™m not going to tell him what he can and canā€™t believe. The prejudice is real though.

Iā€™m a big Kim fan, I love the lore, but objectively heā€™s probably an arse.

2 Likes

What @MasterAir said. Im sure the answer to our accusations of bigotry is the business end of a large hammer.

Speciesist? Speciesism - Wikipedia

1 Like

As a side note hereā€™s what i was thinking about for NRE Kim. The personal touches are proxies for NRE.

Hypocrite Kim

Edward Kim: Humanityā€™s Hammer (Order and Chaos)

Event (12)

Hardware (6)

Resource (10)

Icebreaker (9)

Program (8)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Breaker Bay

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.