E. Kim Appreciation Thread

You don’t have D4v1d. I’m not totally sold on 7+1 targets for Career Fair. I’m a Clone Chip Fiend. But that list looks pretty solid.

1 Like

Its theory crafting at the minute. Probably not correct. I too love clone chip. It makes inject amazing, and inject is pretty good anyway. I dont have D4V1D. Really if i dont pack a D4V1D or two i should have knifed at least for the blue sun matchup.

Agree about career fair, will mess with the numbers on some of the resources.

EDIT: Actually scratch that i think with memstrips 2x datasuckers could be the play for Blue Sun. Maybe not better than D4V1D though.

he also hates clones. and while some have been modified for other purposes (psi) or aren’t technically homo sapiens (turtlebacks), they’re still people! caprice is human and she needs to be loved, just like everybody else does.

1 Like

Activists, especially extreme ones, consider themselves pariah while others consider them lunatics. Kim is the other side of the coin to Elizabeth Mills- do whatever it takes to accomplish your aims. Mills (likely Executive of Asset Protection) has no moral qualms taking out runners and activists, because it serves to the greater good in her mind. She knows the gritty truth, that some things can’t be obtained with crossing the public’s accepted idea of The Red Line, and she is willing to do it, narcissistic as it may be.

Kim is no different. He sees the extremism of Corporations and puts on the mantle of Activist and nameless champion, but not without the same twisted sense of righteousness that Human First clings to. I really appreciate the complexity of Kim’scharacter; his personal hate for bioroids overpowers his “break a few eggs” ethos as an Activist, letting him justify his extreme behavior to himself. This feeling is implemented well through his use of a sledgehammer, a very symbolic implement, that gives him the tactile pressure of crushing bioroid frames. His inability to accept the loss of his wife and child is his singular motivation, but buried deep beneath layers of ardor and good intentions. Kim is “complicated”.

3 Likes

To NRE? Not even close. We’re all talking about NRE because of a single card: Lotus Field. The other stuff (putting Cortex Locks and Ichis in range of Mimic, e.g.) is a nice bonus, but Lotus Field is the single biggest pain for the Anarch suite. Too small for D4v1d, too big for Yog, and impervious to Datasucker.

2 Likes

Idk, maybe it’s just me, but I’d rather have a fetchable Atman4 at one influence lower than a couple of NRE that can’t be tutored… The other stuff is indeed a bonus and one that’s obtainable - and more universally as well! - through Ice Carver.

I like this list a lot (and not just because it’s so close to my own!). The Knight is an obvious include I overlooked – thanks for the reminder!

I was running 2x Medium, 1x Nerve for quite a while, but the Nerve ended up getting cut. My sense was that if I can run your hand multiple times in a turn, I’m going to see fresh cards consistently anyway (esp. between the ID and Scrubber). I’m not entirely sure how to evaluate it, though, because there are cases where it’s really solid. Against RP, for example, you might not be able to run HQ multiple times at a go, but just installing Nerve can force them to overprotect HQ a bit, diverting resources from elsewhere.

I took a look at a list lpoulter stuck up over the weekend using Kim, he had legwork in for the HQ pressure which in many games i think could be stronger for kim than NA, although repeatedly hitting HQ is sometimes the best way to hit ops.

Nerve Agent and Ice destruction mean that you can completely lock down HQ. Agendas that turn up have to go somewhere immediately, which means either using a Jackson if you have one or finding a safe remote. Against non-FA decks you can put the Corp in a really ugly situation. I got a really fast start against Ben Ni (he must be here but I don’t know his username) in the final round on Saturday and made a joke of his HQ. The London SC where I took third something similar happened against Nicola. If the meta swings back towards more NEH FA then 2 medium might be better.

@PeekaySK suggested HQI somewhere earlier in this thread. I think that’s probably best of both worlds, but only if you don’t blow 1/3rd of your influence on Desperado. Desperado is probably the best runner card (still) so I don’t feel that guilty about spending influence on it.

2 Likes

Its a good point. I think im not so amped about NA is only because iv found between kims ability and trashing assets iv got a pretty decent lock with just single accesses. Probably about time i tried it with NA.

Nerve Agent is a perennially underrated card. It doesn’t have the same immediate impact as Legwork obviously but in the same way as Medium it really keeps the pressure on and goes great with ice destruction. Seems like a good fit for Kim.

Re. Memstrips - have you guys tried Progenitor in that slot? Not really any worse on timing than Memstrips as you need either before your last virus, and it makes whichever of Medium or Nerve Agent goes on it far more of a threat, or can always just take a Datasucker if you have the rest out already.

1 Like

I had been testing medium and NA with progenitors to really buff how frequently I could trigger Ed. Results were about on par with omni-drive and dinosaurus in Shaper, a little sad basically.

Yeah I played enough Valencia Hivemind to know how frustrating it is waiting for them in a deck built around them, but I figure if you’re just after extra late game MU as a 1-of it seems worth looking at. You won’t end up with a full army of Datasuckers but how often does that happen anyway? And you might hit it before your multi access, in which case it’s a big improvement, and it’s always significantly cheaper.

My biggest reason not to run progenitor is it doesn’t solve your mu issue for parasite. I’m theorycrafting though I haven’t tried it.

Fair, it does seem a better fit for @king_mob’s proposed NRE version which is lighter on MU than the Atman version that sometimes wants 5 just on breakers/D4v1d.

I would hope so considering your avatar.

On a more serious note, scrubber is awesome. If you get two full uses out of him, he’s just short of Easy mark - not the best, but not dead weight. Three uses pushes him into sure gamble territory. 4+ is just bonkers.

In Kim, he far outpaces Imp, in my opinion.

It’s more that Memstrips solves all the problems. It’s zero-fiddliness. It lets you have 3 breakers, a D4V1D, a multiaccess virus, a sucker, and a Parasite, without a console.

Also, Power Shutdown is a card.

1 Like

Like some unnamed three sisters? :wink:

3 Likes

I play that type of build in Whizzard and Valencia a lot. Lol, I’m a Kim hater but ya’ll build the type of Anarch deck I like to play.

My 2 cents: cut down to 1 Kati and run 3x Liberated, 3x Casts, 3x Earthrise. Kati is fine if you see her early, but the Libs and Casts will fund you just fine for most . If a game goes long, it’s fine to install Kati late and take her for a spin or two.

The 1x Ice Carver as another Career target is interesting. Can help your parasites devastate Blue Sun, make your Yog dance through Tollbooths easier, and alleviate Next Gold fear (Cyberdex suite in haas can be a bitch). Pulls Grim and Taurus out of D4v1d range. Grim isn’t so bad. Taurus can hurt though.

3x Personal Touch is one too many. Even 3x Netready would be. There’s only 2 Lotus Fields in most decks, so you do not want Net-ready/Touch in your hand early.

I don’t think Desperado is worth splashing in this build, especially because it makes you play Memstrips. You’re pressed for MU, Deckspace, and influence. Just play 2 Grimoire and splash 3 Clone Chips. Then you can play 3 Inject and actually have your breakers (albeit sometimes in the heap) when you need them.

In a straightforward deck like this, you need your breakers and your econ fast. 3x Inject, 3x IHW, 3x Earthrise, or else just forfeit once your opponent lays down that NEH card and save yourself the mental energy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. Ill be honest this list was thrown together in about ten minutes as a bout of theorycrafting after i started joking about how thematically inconsistent cybernetics were in a kim deck. The holes in it are many (the deck), as you correctly identified. Those PTs are proxies for NRE, and really could be 2x at most.

1 Like

Then give it a whirl. Kim is kinda Anarch Kate - just do stuff!