Everything, Everywhere (A SYNC Thread)

While I don’t know your list, operation econ has been my choice. Most of the time you need more than 2 cr to get ice rezzed/biotic, and then the runner can choose to not run it.

So I’ve been playing variations on SYNC biotics for a few weeks now, the one card that sticks out to me is Archangel. I’ve never managed to use this card satisfactorily, but I see everyone still uses it (@dodgepong’s list up on NRDB right now has it, for instance). Am I missing something here? More than likely I’m doing it wrong!

On the other hand… I found runners (especially anarchs) just going tag me could often close out the game before I managed to get the right combination of Psycho/Fast Track/Beale/money, letting me score the QPMs and taking the tags from News Team (or, worse, hammering me with Keyhole). I tried slipping in an Information Overload in that slot, and it’s won me the game now on a couple of occasions, reducing a tag floater to single accesses on RnD (install breaker, break EtR ice, then lose it to I/O) and letting me just wait for the winning agendas or combo pieces.

Anyone got thoughts on this? It seems @greyfield has got I/O in his build (in a possibly unique non-MWL-but-Kala-ghoda meta)…

I was going to cut them from my deck. Pre Mwl they were good against shaper but there are fewer shaper in post.

Cutting I/O or Archangel?

The main answer to I/O would be Faerie (I’m already fairly happy in that match up due to lack of anti-FA tools) or parasite/datasucker, which is less common now too. Maybe Nexus? But then, in that match up, Archangel isn’t doing much anyway.

Cutting Archangel I mean. Sorry for the ambiguity. Haven’t bothered with I/O in sync.

I was thinking about it after the tournament as well. It always felt awkward to use since it didn’t ETR. It’s taxing, sure, but it doesn’t really advance the main game plan other than maybe burning D4V1D counters that would otherwise be used on Gutenberg. I can’t remember the last time I fired it on-access, either. That said, I don’t know what to replace it with. Another Enigma seems wrong, and I don’t have anywhere close to enough money for Tollbooth. Maybe a 3rd Gutenberg? An illegal 4th Data Raven? I dunno.

I sometimes play one booth. I can usually rez it, but it’s rough when it gets parasited.

I’ve been trying Turnpike. Seems ok. But ya, Archangel seems pretty crapsy atm.

Losing 3 Inf hit SYNC more than losing 6 inf hit NEH. Go figures… I’m done with SYNC until some new cards comes up.

Same, not giving a flying fuck about tags and deep digging usually beats me handily. Even if hemorrhaging 3 QPM points.

Fast track for your Beale maybe? That usually sorts it all out for me.

Is Artist Colony seeing a lot of play? If that takes out the value of News Team, SYNC is dead to me.

It might not be yet, but it should, and will be soon.

2 Likes

From Netrunnerdb it seems like a handful of Exchange of Information SYNC decks made the cut at Regionals recently.

Do we think this is an emerging archetype, or people just trying out a shiny new card that people aren’t used to yet?

1 Like

I think it’s here to stay that EoI GFI bullcrap. It makes you care nothing about RnD, which makes Sync a solid tier 1.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s been really strong in my experience. It essentially stops the runner going tagme unless they win that turn, which is hugely powerful/obnoxious (delete as preferred).

I got caught by it this last casual play… He installed, advanced, used Astro token to score Breaking News, then EoI’d the GFI from my side.

I say ‘caught’, because I had an Artist Colony installed. But I honestly figured he was just trying to blow up one of my resources, not do an EoI. (It helps that my LGS keeps running out of the newest pack so I don’t have Liberated Mind right now.)

Maybe it is just me, but I think BN + EoI + GFI is some of the awesomest bullshit this game has coughed up in a while. As opposed to the just straighted up bullshit of Museum jank.

2 Likes

I’ve thought about the etiquette regarding situations like that. It’s a little different than saying “clot?” since corp is playing an operation afterwards and you don’t know what you need (clot, protect resources, plascrete, etc).

I don’t get angry about card games anymore, and in fact my opponent seemed like he was sorry and willing to let me rewind and use the Artist Colony, but I waved it off that I wouldn’t have expected that play.

But that’s the most obscene thing I’ve ever seen. Three clicks and an Astro token (or other FA trick, SSCG, Biotic, etc) to score 3 points, and take away 1 point from the opponent? Nothing in the game comes close to that level of broken. Why does NBN continue to get things like this? (24/7 Scorch Scorch kill is also ludicrous.)