Exile

There are 5 cards that let you install programs from your heap. 3 green 2 red.

I think homeless Kasparov has a place, that engine is good once it gets going.

I’m not convinced by retrieval run in exile.

The big problem exile has is that Kate fires every time he does. It’s really hard to make him do enough work. (Kate could have - gain 1c the first time/when you install prog/hardware from your grip. Then exile would have a place in the world.)

As such. Exile is probably consigned to the cool but not competitive tier. This is an important thing for a game to have.

Not entirely true on Kate, Kate’s discount only fires on the first program or Hardware installed per turn. Exile has no per turn limitation.

I also can be pedantic. If I pull out my exile deck I can show you 9 cards that directly trigger his ability.

Also, what is the second red card besides the second copy of retrieval run?

Also test run and scavenge (sometimes) use her ability without the actual benefit. I would venture to guess I use exiles draw more often than most people actually use the discount effect.

He means 5 unique cards, so 15 copies maximum.

3 green—Test Run, Scavenge, Clone Chip—and 2 red—Retrieval Run and Pawn.

Ah yes I barely count pawn. I know what he meant but i feel like it was obvious what meant too. I do think with 1 more tutor pawn engine might work in exile.

The not limited to once per turn is an important distinction. I think Kate benefits from scavenge if you ‘trade up’ but you’re right, it’s quite easy to waste her ability. I however don’t believe you use exile more than you would use Kate if you simply swapped the IDs though.

The reason Kate is so good is she has such tempo early game. Exile, and to a lesser extent even Andy chug a bit out of the gate.

Don’t get me wrong I love exile, he’s interesting and promotes a play style that makes me smile. I just think if I’m really 100% trying to win I’d play those cards with Kate not Exile.

I tend to agree with you that all things equal Kate is better. The great thing about Kate is she doesn’t need any special cards printed to make her ability good whereas identities like Exile and Noise do. I’m Hopeful that inject does for Exile what cache did for noise. It is really a great card to help speed up his game.

That’s not what “strictly” means. I would agree that he’s worse overall, but there are some cases in which Exile is better.

4 Likes

Not to mention, he triggers EVERY time, which is insanely powerful. I think he is basically right on track as ~year behind Noise. Noise had a janky gimicky build that was really powerful in a limited cardpool, but as it expanded, that build floundered, and it was easy to compare him 1:1 to other anarchs and see that he was worse. Now, he’s really hitting a stride, with a cool economy engine and a spectrum of how aggressive he has to play–all while corroding the corp’s R&D, basically for free.

2 Likes

I hope you’re right. As I said earlier Exile is cool. Maybe Inject really is the missing piece. I think one more recursion card for 1 inf/shaper would help a lot. I’ll keep going back and giving him a go. I maintain, if you want a competitive deck you do have to try your Exile deck with a Kate ID just to make sure!

3 Likes

I hope Inject isn’t the missing piece. It seems like poor design to make the necessary piece a card from another faction. Noise likes Cache, but he doesn’t need it.

He doesn’t need it, but with Cache out, Noise go from tier “I don’t play it becouse Jackson” to tier 1.5 winning some tournament.

I think Cache did a great job to Noise playability.

Without a doubt. I would argue that Noise would still be Tier 1 currently without Cache. And even if he’d be 1.5, that’s still a hell of a lot better than Exile + Inject.

Putting inject into Exile hurts influence wise whereas Cache does not hurt noise nearly as much. That being said I am happy with the results that inject has offered so far in testing. When lady comes out I am thinking Exile could get a bump as my reliance on Anarch breakers won’t be as high.

Strictly worse in that in all relevant matchups, an optimal exile deck has -ev in every single matchup relative to an optimal Kate deck. That means that against NEH/RP all optimal exile builds have worse matchups against both of these than optimal kate decks have against Both of the above.

I meant strictly worse in terms of players who play optimal decks, and choose based on what is Game theory optimal, (GTO) it is GTO to only play NEH decks or RP decks from the corp side, and Exile is not GTO because 100% of strategies which involve exile are strictly dominated by kate.

Are you sure PE kill doesn’t do worse against Exile, who has better card draw, can clone chip in the middle of the corp’s turn so that double ronin doesn’t kill, and isn’t hurt as much by having key programs trashed?

At the same time, a well placed Chronus Project wreaks everything.

I know it’s causing me some adjustments in my local meta…

Yeah that card hurts. Maybe it opens up design space to add more recursion without breaking the game.

Here’s my deck that I’m pretty sure would work better than it would in Kate: (and isn’t pawn-based)

Exile>Kate

Exile: Streethawk (Creation and Control)

Event (14)

Hardware (10)

Resource (3)

Icebreaker (11)

• 2x Alpha (Fear and Loathing)
  • 3x Femme Fatale (Core Set) •••
  • 1x Inti (Creation and Control)
  • 2x Knight (Mala Tempora) ••••
  • 2x Omega (Fear and Loathing)
  • 1x Torch (Mala Tempora)

Program (7)

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Spaces Between

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

Since it installs few programs except for with test run, retrieval run, and scavenge, and uses those a lot, Kate’s ability would be wasted, while with those cards Exile can draw lots of cards, which is useful because of all the silver bullets this deck includes. This deck can beat kill decks with magnum opus, feedback filter, and plascrete, beat FA decks with SOT’d Indexing and Chakana, and beat glacier decks by simply sitting back and getting money. The knights and femmes make it impossible to be locked out of a server.

1 Like