Fire up the Grill! - Weyland meat lovers thread

How’s the economy on that? It seems like you’d be a little light on money if you can’t draw hostiles.

It’s not the best to be sure. I have turns where I just advance an ice and take two credits. But you don’t need tons of money and the runner will try to stay ahead of you to avoid a HHN or SEA. You just need to stay above 4 to keep your Snares online.

I may try to fit in some more economy but I’m not sure what I would cut. Definitely open to suggestions.

Alright. I’m gonna have to kill the Builder of Nations deck.

It’s a sweet ID that allows us to finally use Weyland’s Advanceable ICE. Though the problem is that we’re still diddling with Advanceable ICE that is our downfall.

There have been some success! With some Hollywood Renovation and Prisec plays comboed with DRT and Advanceable Hidden Gems. BoN has been a blast to try out new ideas with.

But all in all its simply not competitive enough.

Keep believing that there will be more Weyland Specific tools and we’ll see if they pan out.

Until then, enjoy the ID for fun (not for profit.)

5 Likes

Sad to hear you’ve come to this conclusion. It’s what I suspected unfortunately although I’ve only managed to get a couple of test games in.

One big issue I see is that the 40 card minimum (which suggests fast play) is at odds with the ability (which is inherently slow). Is that something you found?

1 Like

I suppose the related question is, is the Weyland cardpool/gameplan strong enough that you can simply use it as a 40-card rush deck and mostly ignore the BoN ability?

It’s easily strong enough to rush out 5 or 6 points. Weyland’s issue has always been how to score the last agenda. BoN might help here since you’re putting pressure on the runner’s grip, but I don’t see how the ability helps once they have a rig up.

Has anyone tried making a standard 49 card build? I feel like the ability is strong enough to warrant it over other IDs even with the inf hit. The problem I’ve had so far is mostly deck space. Is the 40 card minimum even really that much of a benefit to Weyland at this point?

1 Like

So, with my testing and build, the focus was to kill the runner.

In practice however, I came to an even more exciting result. Decking the runner and eliminating key recursion pieces for certain decks.

It was often that with a scored/swapped Cleaners. The pressure intensified on the Runner to be set up and have a backup plan in-case something goes awry. Much like using Sports Hopper after hitting Snare after eating 2 meat on encountering ICE. I’ve won games where the runner had no way to continue running since there was no longer a deck to draw from thanks to Prisec in scoring remote.

The Cleaners being scored/stolen is crucial for the ID to function but so does countering the currents a runner may use, especially Employee Strike. So Hostile Takeover and Chronos Project is necessary and readily available counter to just playing another current, which is haphazard at mid to late game (looking at you Housekeeping). Thankfully Paywall Implementation assists on the recoup of lost funds to Advancing ICE.

Dedicated Response Team is a nice Wake-Up call to runners who NEED TO BE IN, but don’t wanna handle the consequences. It’s quite valuable and is much more viable than using Zealous Judge in the respect that it actually activates on Runner at an inopportune moment. Furthermore a 3 trash cost helps a Hard-Hitting News follow-up that employs a mighty tax of both credits and hand refill. Plenty of time to score out a key agenda or risk Scorch disruption.

All in all, you make do with the 12 influence intelligently and you can get some nice wins just by outlasting instead of out moneying the runner.

Also Hollywood Renovation is BANANAS in this deck and quite the powerhouse!

PS: Wanna try to use Underway Renovation in this deck with either Blacklist or Navi Mumbad Grid for those jankier Runner builds.

4 Likes

That’s a whole lot of cards that don’t see much play. Do you have a decklist you’re willing to share? You’re definitely taking this in a different direction than I’ve seen so far.

weyland rush is best out of argus. it’s ability protect centrals in the beginning of the game. this is why titan is awesome but somehow lacking, u cant start scoring instantly, u need to wait a little bit with it.

1 Like

I did. I built one 49-carder upthread that used a kind of “microspam” technique of Prisecs, Snares, PADs, spare Jacksons, and any random garbage lying around to bait runs.

Since then I’ve gone back to a tighter 44-carder, and the strategy is oddly still the same. Windmill agendas until your ice gets found out then slowly terrorize the runner until someone wins. This is a fast deck, then a slow deck, and requires the most psychological intimidation of any deck I’ve played. Games on Jinteki go much faster than on the table, so don’t call it fast til you’ve sleeved this. You need to really assiduously count your opponent’s credits, look at their archives, frown and mutter “Well here goes nothing,” then install, advance, advance a Junebug behind an Archer and advanced Ice Wall. Ask them “cards in hand?” and nod knowingly a lot. Also: protect a Bankers with Prisec! Better than ice!

Still, it’s kind of exhausting to play. Sustaining that level of bullshittery is work.

Builder of Nations (Bankers)

Weyland Consortium: Builder of Nations (Blood Money)

Agenda (10)

Asset (7)

Upgrade (3)

Operation (11)

Barrier (5)

Code Gate (5)

Sentry (3)

11 influence spent (max 12, available 1)
18 agenda points (between 18 and 19)
44 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Blood Money

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

What do you do against a runner that refuses to run anything you don’t advance in a remote?

Advance things in remotes… duh.

I suppose I could have elaborated - how do you prevent yourself losing to a remote camping runner?

I’m getting exasperated with building decks for BoN as it feels so fundamentally schizophrenic: you want to use the smaller decksize to streamline things but then have to use your very limited deckslots on the cards that make advancing ice even remotely efficient like shipment from Kaguya.

What this ID and advancable ice in general needs is support cards that can fit into other deck slots (Like say a Lateral Growth with the text “Gain 3c, put an advancement counter on a piece of ice” would be able to fit into the ‘economy’ part of the deck).

It’s a pity that Damon has repeated said he doesn’t like cards with that sort of flexibility.

1 Like

I think the ID is fine. Rush is probably better in Argus, but you can play 3 Ice Wall here and get some Snare kills when the Runner started at 3 cards. I haven’t found smaller deck space to be an issue at all. Rush lends itself to pruning as much as possible. @Saan has a good starting point up on NRDB

1 Like

I kind of wish there was a in-faction advancable ambush for Weyland.

I still love me some Overwriter for those silly billies that love to camp remotes as soon as something gets advanced in there, but the influence cost sometimes hurts.

Speaking of ambushes, any thoughts about dusting off Space Camp? I’m noodling around with a idea of going wide with them, and if the runner doesn’t run them using Liquidation to get money from them and now they’re protecting Archives.

2 Likes

Usually I’m not sure I like Space Camp over other cards like Shipment from Kaguya, and running both takes too much deck space for too little value. I like SoK over SC because I get to choose when I get to advance my ICE, and it takes place before the run occurs, as opposed to SC, which needs a run to happen before you get the free advancement. Going wide with them doesn’t sound like it does much if the runner just ignores them; it might get you a free naked Atlas to score, but in the mean time your centrals aren’t getting advanced, so runs on them are less threatening. If you decide to advance them manually, then the SCs aren’t doing anything since 98% of Wayland ICE don’t do anything noticeable when advanced more than once in this ID.

I’d love some more ambushes in Weyland as well, but they’re always toted as a faction who aren’t sneaky and don’t try to be, so I’m not holding hope. I’m just hoping that they get enough good in faction cards that we can actually use some influence for more traps.

Which is such B.S. reason for not having traps. They already have GRNDL Refinery and Space Camp with are mechanically sneaky but hardly theme wise. How in the hell is a Space Camp an ambush?

If they are going to straight up not give certain factions tools based of theme alone, at least be consistent.

Since it’s on-theme (the theme being “Weyland can’t have nice things”), I could see something like a ambush that let you pick the advancement tokens up off it when accessed and place them on a different card. Sort of like a better Plan B. Would probably be more worth it if it was a upgrade, so you could then put them into a trap in the same server the runner hasn’t accessed yet.