Fire up the Grill! - Weyland meat lovers thread

Unfortunately, muresh doesn’t stack. See the reviews here. Why they didn’t go ahead and make it unique so that there could be no confusion is beyond me.

There might be a time where it makes sense, but unless we get more advanceable ice with teeth (beyond mausolus) or more stuff that synergizes with BoN, I don’t think drip meat damage is enough of a thing for runners to pack it.

It didn’t seem to help them much against my Blue Sun so I am inclined to agree. It might be more troublesome against Argus, but not as much as Film Critic.

For me it stops being hilarious pretty fast hahaha. Losing to people who are heavily metagamed against minor decks is such a pet peeve of mine!

1 Like

Yeah but I imagine they’re losing a lot of their important match ups do to dead cards. So maybe that is some small consolation?

Is firmware updates, geothermal fracking, and Mark Yale worth considering? Or am I just drunk with optimism?

That’s actually why it peeves me so much hahaha.

Firmware Updates is not happening for sure. In Builder of Nations the most desirable number of advancement tokens on an ice is 1. Any more or any less is pointless (unless you can use PAD Factory to advance an Archer, which is legitimately more threatening than an unadvanced Archer). Any advancement token beyond the first is likely to be a waste of time.

not that i disagree with you about the number of advancements for BoN, i don’t see why that makes Firmware Updates a bad card for it.

in fact, i’d say it’s what makes it so good.

once you’ve scored an FU, you get 3 free advancements that are available exactly when you need them, once per turn when they encounter the first piece of advanceable ICE. you can score Firmware with no advancements on any ICE and suddenly be able to threaten BoN’s ability on any server for at least the next three turns

I love the idea of Firmware Updates, but I don’t know if BoN can support that many one-point agendas. Especially with a porous R&D full of Space Camps and Snares that you want them to keep running.

I don’t see how having a single advancement helps with this particular ICE composition, though. Unless you’re trying to score out behind a single Enigma I just don’t see how the runner will ever make it all the way through the server without BoN firing.

I have the feeling that a Firmware Updates version of BoN wants to be mid-range never-advance, instead of rush. Assuming that you are replacing the hostiles in what is increasingly becoming the standard agenda spread, you are loosing out on the credits used to score the next agenda. Instead you are looking to gain tempo for the middle of the game, and also dodging the bad pub.

If a version of this deck will ever exist it will depend on the ICE that come along with mausolus. If another ICE of this grade comes along then I can see a plan of attack that would try and tax the runner in both cards and credits to open scoring windows.

1 Like

The problem with that is that Weyland doesn’t have the agendas to never advance, since they only have 1 3/2. God knows I don’t want to fill a deck with 3/1s, and god knows I don’t want to have to play Merger.

If good ICE comes along, I could maybe see a glacier Weyland happen again, but BoN and it’s 40 card deck size seems like a strange home for it, although the ID power is at least alright for a taxing game plan. I dunno. BoN is at odds with itself in terms of the ID power and the size.

1 Like

Actually yeah you’re right, I had forgotten how the advancement tokens work on Firmware Updates. I think it would be a neat thing to use during the opponent’s turn :wink:

I always liked this agenda during my brief spell playing Titan and wanted to see more use out of it.

It’s really too bad there isn’t a better passive way of generating advancement tokens. Award Bait might have been a good choice if it wasn’t NBN. Early Premiere would be fun if it worked on ICE (and was less than 3 influence). PAD Factory saves money but it’s still a click. I dunno, maybe Matrix Analyzer?

Weyland Asset

2 Rez
4 Trash
At the beginning of your turn, you may place one advancement counter on a card

1 Like

How about The Ice That Advances Itself? Need more clickless ways of advancing ice and doing other neat Mark Yale-y things with counters.

Whenever you spend a click to add an advancement token to an ice (not through a card ability) add one additional token.

i have a feeling that a Hollywood Renovation or two might do some work for BoN

also BoN seems intended to work with a lot of big box Weyland cards

Builder
Constellation Protocol
Satellite Grid

i agree with you on PAD Factory as well

not sure how useful this is, but i think a big part of the deck’s success is finding ways to advance ICE without actually advancing ICE

Or, to chain off the ID ability, maybe a asset with something like, “Whenever the runner suffers meat damage, place a advancement token on a installed card.”

More games have started to reveal the issues with BoN rush. It works against the archetypes strength: maintaining tempo while scoring. You can play Kaguya but half the time it’s a dead draw. Even when it’s live it’s not great.

Advancing ICE is always tempo negative, unless you play cards like Kaguya and Hollywood Reno. Weyland Rush already has a strong home in Argus. I would argue that Argus hits the Runners tempo more than BoN, with no investment required by Corp.

Scoring a Cleaners with this ID is pretty good, but I don’t think a list exists that can reliably do this (and win the game).

3 Likes

Honestly, I know this is rough to hear for most, but every time I see someone trying to leverage BoN, my dark, Weyland heart weeps. They’re trying so desperately to leverage their ID ability with generally underwhelming cards when Argus is so readily able to use theirs without having to play clunky advanceable ice. I have not seen a single BoN rush list that comes close to some of the more decent Argus rush lists out there. The reduced deck size in no way makes up for the substantially inferior ability (with the current card pool) and reduced influence.

I encourage people to continue trying to tinker with it, if they’re feeling janky, but as has already been stated, please do not try to convince yourself that, with the current card support, BoN will be capable of putting out a competitive decklist. The respective power levels of the cards that presently synergize with the ID simply aren’t high enough. Mausolus can’t come soon enough.

4 Likes

I’ll go one further. I don’t think Mausolus will make much difference to BoN or possibly any Weyland deck.

Edit to clarify - playing around with BoN has reminded me how bloody terrible advancing ICE is as a use of clicks.

3 Likes