Foodcoats

Ash acts as a rush tool, not security in the late-game (for which you have Caprice).

I mean foodcoats is about creating taxing servers. I had a game yesterday where my opponent had Plop installed, they ran my IAA server and realised that there was no way they could plop the caprice and beat ash, so they had to do it the other way around and win the psi game (unfortunately for me they did). You can argue that Ash did tremendous work there, and I don’t think this kind of thing is too uncommon.

Speaking of taxing servers, I absolutely think vanilla is a bad call here. Foodcoats isn’t hugely about gear-checks but rather costing you money. You’re fine to spend money on your ice so long as it costs the runner more. I think Bubba’s list is reasonable, although 2x Ash is maybe okay and I also think 3x FiHP is mandatory. My typical list has 4 barriers, 7 code gates and 6 sentries, and I’ve been playing around with all the tech slots just being more economy.

2 Likes

I think this is a good baseline. Potentially cutting 1 Caprice for 3rd architect + 3 flex influence (napd / crisium being the big contenders).

As for food vs palana, the#1 thing palana has right now is tfp. Mad dash is huuuuge vs. HB, and playing 8 with tfp is really good vs indexing and shaper. HB feels probably stronger overall, but certain decks are definitely better vs. foodcoats than palana. HB is more resistent to econ denialz has better ice, and is better against rumor mill / plop.

2 Likes

No harm if the runner with a Killer run clic 1 => ELP ?
CVS + 2x Macro is one card overkill imho.

You have enough inf to replace Ash #3 by Caprice #2 :slight_smile:

Due to the way I copied my list, it isn’t showing the 3 influence spent on Architect, but there is 1 influence free. To get the 2nd Caprice in would require cutting 2x Lotus and a Architect, which is fine.

I think cutting the CST for an NAPD (per @SimonMoon’s suggestion) is a better use of the 1x influence. Again, the 2x Lotus could be cut for NAPD as well if you don’t feel that you are seeing enough Yog.0 to justify them. Tollbooth is also a great use of influence here.

I really like 3x Architect. It is my favorite turn 1 ICE. It feels very strong on any server, including a turn 1 econ remote. The best place to put it is where you think the runner is most likely to face-check.

1 Like

I see a fair number of people running Advanced Assembly Lines in Foodcoats-like builds.

Is that really enough economy to support Foodcoats’ game plan?

I think it comes down to personal preference. On its own, the card only gives you two credits so is pretty poor econ. However, when you factor into account you are installing it and may get a credit from EtF on your turn and then another credit when installing a card on your opponent’s turn, it can be as good as a Hedge Fund that can be used if you find yourself on 0 credits. You can even do the sneaky play of waiting until the runner assigns a Temujin to a server and (before the runner’s next click) you trash it and install an ICE over the server so they cannot get free Temujin money. It can be recurred with Friends in High Places (note that you have to discard down before using AAL’s ability) and Team Sponsorship if you are building your deck in that direction.

The biggest down and obvious down side is it is a trashable asset. So if the runner finds it first, you do not get any money.

Overall, AAL can be very versatile in the things it allows you do to (money, accelerate your board state, a surprise install). Whereas Hedge Fund, Eve, Adonis, etc. just give you money. All are good cards that do good things in different ways.

1 Like

Also you can rez it for free with BBG. So in EtF it can quickly turn into a click free Restructure that can be replayed via Friends.

1 Like

I’ve found it great in AoT, which probably means it’s better in EtF. Note that you can rez it during a run (but not use the trash ability), so it’s still good for dragging the runner through a taxing server. The other choice play is using it to install a campaign from hand before start-of-turn triggers.

I see all the reasons AAL is a good card. In my own play with Foodcoats, though, I find that the ice costs a lot of money to rez and an Eve Campaign helps a lot, especially when you can Friends it back into play on a Breaker Bay Grid.

AAL seems really good in a package with Lateral Growth, Team Sponsorship, and CSM. But that is a different way of building the economy of your deck.

I’m not saying I’m right about this. But it just seems like a package of Adonis and AAL is weaker than an all campaign package or the AAL-Lateral package. Obviously, other players don’t have that experience.

2 Likes

I agree with your assessment. AAL works fine in a package including Lateral Growth with more of an asset spam approach to remotes. If you are actually building ICE’d remotes, to are running BBG/FiHP, Eve seems to be the better option.

AAL does offer some counter-play against Temujin, but I don’t really feel that it is a reliable counter to that card’s economic power.

1 Like

I run the full breaker bay suite + 2 AAL. They’re better than hedges most of the time (estrike says no).

What kind of lists are people running now that marilyn campaign, estelle moon, and bioroid work crew are out? Do those cards have a role in foodcoats?

I think that marilyn can bump eve out. Moon doesn’t seem to fit the single-remote style super well, but it’s a strong card regardless of whether you are set up to squeeze every last bit of efficiency out of it, so maybe that’s good anyway. BWC opens up fast advance to 4/2’s with biotic (assisting NAPD or opening up Advanced Concept Hopper?), which could be helpful.

what says the hivemind?

I’ve replaced my eves with Marilyns, and only regret it when Rich Runners trash them out of RnD. Bioroid Work crew seems a little niche for my list at present: my 1xCorporate Sales Team, or saving a click for dealing with a Leela Bounce.

I think if you are replacing the Eves with Marilyns you could also replace the Breaker Bays as they are not doing as much work anymore. Maybe putting Launch Campaigns in there instead. Not sure if it is stronger especially against Whizzard as they can get trashed without real credits. Plus I do love using FiHP for Breaker Bay and Eve when the runner is low on credits.

When it comes to Estelle I think she is the wrong fit for Foodcoats. They are usually happy installing once and taking two credits and just building up to a state where it is too taxing for the runner. If you pop Estelle with 3-4 counters, yes you will get a good burst of money, but it opens up having too many cards and not being able to play them. Either you cannot protect your asset econ which just gets trashed or you are putting down way too much ICE to be able to rez or agendas will start to flood your hand. I have not tried it but they are just my initial thoughts.

I see your logic, but my gut check says Breaker Bay Grid is your most broken econ card in that deck. If your plan leads to cutting Breaker Bay, I feel like the plan is worth re-evaluating.

The logic is good, if you are replacing Eve, asking if you still want Breaker Bay is the logical step. I just think BBG is too valuable for more than just rezzing Eve to cut it, and that makes me ask if I really want Marilyn over Eve in the first place.

My view on it is that on BBG, eve and marilyn both start paying out 2/turn immediately and marilyn both clears out of your scoring remote faster and goes back to R&D if you overinstall it with an agenda. It is still not a lot of fun for the user to trash if you install it naked, though slums or recurring trash credits makes it a softer target in many match-ups, balanced by the fact that you don’t have to sink money into it if they don’t check it. It does make R&D more porous, though.

I can definitely see the merits in eve, but I think marilyn is great and it’s nice to be able to recur half your econ with FiHP and the other half with self-recursion.

1 Like

I agree with you 100%. I still run 3x Adonis, 2x Eve and 3x BBG in Foodcoats (as well as 3x Hedge Fund and 2x Advanced Assembly Lines). It is not as fancy as Marilyn or Estelle, it is just a solid economy package.

1 Like

Is Foodcoats really all that good even with Caprice and Ash more playable now?

I find nearly every competitive Runner deck has lots of answers for glacier as a strategy. While I can often get to 5-6 points, it is rare that I can push that 7th point across. I may just be that I don’t play it well enough yet, so I wanted to get the opinions of more dedicated Foodies.

1 Like

Glacier has been the archetype that keeps getting huge “silver bullet” power cards against it that weaken its tournament viability.

We are still waiting for the big asset spam kill cards and perhaps the biggest combatant to the archetype (Whizzard) is rotating in just a few short months.

But eh, who knows? Maybe glacier will get a big punch up with something spicy this cycle or there might be a weird combination post rotation.