Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

I don’t know if people saw this list from TWA, but it looked interesting to me, though it’s probably not as good as Reg Ass IMO, it has some advantages:

[TWA] MaxX Reanimator Aggro 1.5

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (15)
3x Dirty Laundry
3x Déjà Vu
3x Inject
3x Retrieval Run
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (6)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
3x Desperado ••••• ••••

Resource (6)
1x Armitage Codebusting
3x Daily Casts
2x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (8)
2x Corroder
2x Knight
2x Mimic
2x Yog.0

Program (10)
1x D4v1d
3x Datasucker
2x Medium
1x Nerve Agent
3x Parasite

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Order and Chaos

So, basically, Reg Ass with no Levy and Desperado instead. It looks like it doesn’t have enough economy, and I think Kati would be good for this type of deck, (gotta have something to do with your clicks when you invariably run out of cards), so I made some changes that I think make the deck certainly much better. If anyone wants to give this type of maxx a go, here’s a reworked list that I haven’t tested at all. Lotus Field out of Blue Sun is a serious issue, but I don’t know there’s anything easy to do about it.

Australia (45 cards)

Event (15)
3 Deja Vu
3 Dirty Laundry
3 I’ve Had Worse
1 Queen’s Gambit
2 Retrieval Run
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (6)
3 Clone Chip
3 Desperado

Resource (6)
3 Daily Casts
3 Kati Jones

Icebreaker (8)
2 Corroder
2 Knight
2 Mimic
2 Yog.0

Program (10)
1 D4v1d
2 Datasucker
2 Imp
2 Medium
3 Parasite

I’m not seeing the major point of ret run or Desperado here, beyond just being a good card. It’s a faster Maxx list, but the meta is about to get a lot slower, and this deck will be a lot worse than RAM in a long game. The Ret Runs buy consistency, but again, you don’t need all 3 breakers ASAP, you’re not trying to siphon people out of the game early or anything, and you don’t have anything prohibitively expensive, and you certainly get a lot more recursion of everything out of one Levy than you do three Ret-runs.

I could see this being intersting if it was running a couple Femmes/Stimhacks to make sure you can get them out quickly and reliably, which would give you more game against Lotus as well, but I just don’t see how this will be better than RAM. It doesn’t even try to attack from a different angle or do anything differently, it’s just tossing a Lotus solution, Levy, and Econ/HQ pressure for Desperado, which you don’t need if you just keep the econ there to begin with.

You’re probably right that it’s worse, but I think there is something to the idea of a Maxx deck without Levy. I think the extra recursion is possibly necessary if you’re going to do it this way. Also, you’re probably right that this will get worse because of Clot. I just thought it was interesting.

It would be fun if all MaxX decks needed to be submitted and approved by you before seeing play.

6 Likes

@mediohxcore, please approve of me to try this list, however rough it looks.

Bad Trip

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock (Order and Chaos)

Event (16)

Hardware (7)

Resource (7)

Icebreaker (6)

Program (9)

45 cards (min 45)

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

2 Likes

-2 Memstrips and do 50 hail maries for putting memstrips in a deck

6 Likes

I know I don’t have authority here to approve, but I like this list. I tried out @hhooo’s DoppelMaxX list for a bunch of games but added a MemStrip and a Datasucker (cut the cutlery so I could stay at 45), and it was awesome. Having leeway to easily keep 2-3 suckers up made killing ice with Parasites a breeze, and of course the regular discount on pumping breaker STR. Doppelganger and Datasucker combo is potent.

I knew it wouldn’t get past even the board let alone MaxX Inc. CEO so I just went back to RAM.

3 Likes

Here’s what I would run if people are so inclined to skip out on the Levy.

Chronos Fodder

Event (16)
3x Déjà Vu
3x I’ve Had Worse
1x Lucky Find ••
2x Retrieval Run
1x Scavenge ••
2x Stimhack
3x Sure Gamble
1x Vamp

Hardware (6)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
2x Grimoire
1x Plascrete Carapace

Resource (8)
3x Daily Casts
3x Kati Jones
2x Liberated Account

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder
1x Femme Fatale •
2x Mimic
1x Torch ••••

Program (9)
1x D4v1d
2x Datasucker
2x Imp
1x Medium
3x Parasite

45 cards (min 45)

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

I waffled back and forth between Vamp and Infiltration since both help you get through stupid big remotes in different ways, and help you prevent your opponent from landing a Chronos at a horrible time. Plas is a nod to the fact that IHW is not actually scorch protection after turn 13 or so. Femme may want to be doubled, probably cut LF for a second and a Utopia Shard if you want. I’ll try this some this evening.

It may want a Yog, or it may even want to switch IHW out for Inject to find the Torch faster, since IHW doesn’t have a secondary function in long games without Levy.

1 Like

If we see a considerable slow down; I’m wondering if Magnum Opus could be a better long game source of income than kati. With a big rig deck in combo with retrieval run, its makes a modicum of sense to me; though it’s entirely fair to say “Install All The Things Decks” tend to be a bit slow and opus ain’t gonna help speed you up.

I’m certain there will be a good Hayley Opus build. I’ve tried it in Anarch, but the memory just isn’t there without running some really wonky stuff, since the main reason to play anarch is still their non-breaker programs.

1 Like

Who the fuck hired that guy anyway?

4 Likes

It looks a lot like the Quetzal deck I was playing 6 months ago, and I think you were playing a Whizzard deck that was not too far off as well?
http://netrunner.meteor.com/decks/h7CiSLu5g6YMoeEeG/

Blue Sun kicks it in the nuts, and when NBN drops off Aggro gets even worse.

Ret Run makes no sense without a Femme or anything worthwhile to pull. I mean shit, put a Morning Star in there at least.

Also, I think Codebusting has merit over a Kati for Aggro, but without a Levy you have really limited econ.

Honestly, MaxX is cool and all but if her ability gets better over time why try to get Aggro with her? Play Quetzal instead, since her ability is actually strongest in the early game.

2 Likes

Completely agree. The LARLA benefit to MaxX is substantial, and the post-clot meta should only amplify that. Also the timing of that TWA article seems quite odd with respect to clot.

3 Likes

[quote=“jerklin, post:286, topic:3046”]Ret Run makes no sense without a Femme or anything worthwhile to pull. I mean shit, put a Morning Star in there at least
[/quote]
Retruns are better than Deja vu calling back non virus programs IMO.
One of the only 3 click n go heap tutor (CS, Scavenge, RetRun).

In terms of tempo, it’s nice. Not excellent, but nice. They get excellent with FF sure, but they do make sense without !

1 Like

The world is about to slow down and ice is getting bigger. Nowt wrong with some MemStrips if your rig needs Datasucker to break Ice.

1 Like

How about Djinn instead?

Dino to beat them Ichi’s.

It’d be real weird if this was actually a thing.

Memstrips is better than Djinn though IMO.

2 Likes

If only q_q

So I’ve been playing this list on OCTGN for a few hours:

Chronos Fodder

Event (15)
3x Déjà Vu
3x Inject
2x Retrieval Run
1x Scavenge ••
2x Stimhack
3x Sure Gamble
1x Vamp

Hardware (6)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •
2x Grimoire
1x Plascrete Carapace

Resource (9)
3x Daily Casts
3x Kati Jones
2x Liberated Account
1x Utopia Shard •

Icebreaker (6)
2x Corroder
2x Femme Fatale ••
1x Mimic
1x Torch ••••

Program (9)
1x D4v1d
2x Datasucker
2x Imp
1x Medium
3x Parasite

45 cards (min 45)

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

I’ve been happy with Inject over IHW so far, although I honestly haven’t played it much. Torch is absolutely awesome to have installed, and Femme is super nice to have around for Data Raven and other stupid shit.

I’ve won 5/5 with it so far, and, despite the name, I’ve been Chronos’d 4 out of the 5 games. I’m still not seeing this card do much.

Playing against Argus was pretty obnoxious, but an early Kati made sure I could just power through the Archers with femme every time he rezzed one. Hardest game so far was when I lost both Grimoire to Maxx against HB, so I didn’t have the MU to Medium dig them, despite there being an easy opening. This deck can get set up faster and lock out remotes better than RAM, and maybe there’ll be some weird rush meta that makes that a good choice in the future. It’s a refreshing switch from Doppel/RAM, at least.

11 Likes

Here’s my fun MaxX (very much unapproved, fuck the man) I’m going to go back to now that SCs are over. Based on DoppelMaxX but with some mods. If you want to understand the title just sleeve this deck up and play. Use original art Kati.

Babes of Netrunner 2015

Event (13)
1x Amped Up
2x Day Job
3x Déjà Vu
1x Levy AR Lab Access •••
1x Showing Off
3x Sure Gamble
2x Wanton Destruction

Hardware (10)
3x Clone Chip ••••• •