Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

HQI shines against RP and Psi games. RP usually ends having agendas in hand and HQI is better than Legwork because it can provide a constant threat against a Future Perfect. You can continue running and forcing Psi games, not just the one Psi you will get with the Legwork.

3 Likes

I’m up to 16-2 with @spags’ list between SHL3, my local league, and yesterday’s SC at FFG*. And that’s with having multiple people score Chronos against me with varying losses (Medium, Legwork, Parasites, econ, sometimes all of the above). I’ve never lost a game where the other player scored a Chronos. I also didn’t lose the game where the other player scored two of them. I actually had a PE player in round 1 tell me he was happy to see my ID when I set it down on the table. I just said “oh?” and then stole Chronos, Philotic, and House of Knives.

One of my two losses was due to almost all of my economy getting milled – I saw one Sure Gamble and one Liberated Accounts. I didn’t get a Deja Vu, either. No Kati makes it tough to win, but even so, I made a game of it. My other loss was a very close game vs NEARPAD.

I will say it would be nice to have a Stimhack around somewhere – I lost to a Reg-Ass MaxX yesterday with Blue Sun because I thought the other player didn’t have it – but I’m not cutting anything for it and I don’t particularly want to go over 45. The deck feels pretty consistent right now.

I’ve been kind of wanting to play Kate some more, but with everyone around here packing Chronos in their Corp decks I might just stick with MaxX.

*Where I didn’t even make the cut, because while I went 4-2 with MaxX, I lost a number of close games and went 2-4 with Blue Sun. Time for either RP or NEH, everyone is teched too hard against Blue Sun here.

2 Likes

Going to 47-48 cards is probably correct with Maxx. By doing so, you should be able to fit a stimhack, a third imp and a third déjà-vu or a Queen Gambit

2 Likes

Shhh, don’t tell Dan. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m not so sure. I think this deck wants Kati more than Kate wants VoicePAD – in Kate, the VoicePADs will show up eventually and your events are still pretty good until they do. In MaxX, you might not get a Kati; it isn’t the same as your target card being on the bottom of your deck in Criminal, because both Kate and MaxX can go all the way through the deck, but Kate gets to see every card.

Going to 48 in MaxX drops your EK (Expected Katis) below 1 on the first pass through the deck if you don’t/cant draw with IHW or clicks, and also hurts your chances of getting her in your opening 5 (1.5% drop) or mulligan (2% drop).

I’m willing to listen, but I’ll need stronger evidence.

I don’t think anyone in their right mind is suggesting PAD for Maxx, Ajar is just saying that Kati is more important to this deck than PAD is to Kate.

The argument for 45 cards is that the econ is sketchy already and that you only hurt it by adding more noneconomy cards. Adding an extra Imp is ok, maybe, since that’s econish. I am considering cutting a knife for the 3rd imp/2nd david/3rd deja slot.

Over my dead body will I play 46+

6 Likes

Ah, my reading comprehension isn’t working this morning.

Please, no more mathematical trolling from you Syntax. In the kate / pawnshop thread you claimed a scavenge was worth 6 creds, here you throw around statistics that most of the people don’t follow (probably because those stats are quite far away from reality). You really know too little of maths to be of interest in this domain, so please just stick to opinions on cards etc. and let consistency to people who know what they’re talking about.

I came from BGG to stimhack because the level of content is a lot better here, so let’s keep it that way.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Huh?What?Huh? :dizzy_face:

Well that’s cleared up then.

Please, stop now.

Serious questions: do you play this in meatspace or just online? If the former, how often do you find your deck tipping over and how do you deal with this? Do you go sleeveless? Have you built some sort of stack scaffolding? Are your hands obscenely large or do you shuffle in two separate stacks?

2 Likes

So out of curiosity, how are people dealing with NEH fastro with the deck. Was at a SC yesterday, and throughout the tourney including double elimination I got to play against 3 NEH decks. I can’t for the life of me keep up to them. Should I be sitting back and try to establish a proper econ or
? Otherwise I feel like I dip down to 0 creds more often then not against them.

As a general rule, I try to never go below 4 credits unless I can ensure the corp will also be back-footed by my spending of cash. This is to help ensure I can play a sure gamble if I draw it mostly, but also having some legs at all times is good to help stifle corp plays. Being able to threaten: Credit, sure gamble, run, is always good.

Typically against hub, you want to get your Multiaccess online and run aggressively. Deny DBS and SanSan as much as possible. Their ice generally suck at stopping you, so stay on top of them.

Don’t go to 0 credits ever unless you’re stealing NAPD with them. I don’t care what you have to do otherwise, it’s almost always better to click for credits/click to draw until you find an economy card so you don’t have to click for credits. Going broke means that you’re going to waste a whole lot of time, give your opponent an obvious scoring window, and probably lose as a result.

The NEH AstroBiotics matchup is actually quite good for you if you know how to work it. My general strategy, (this doesn’t apply to every game but works for most of them), is to trash their asset economy with Imp, run at their hand with Imp, get a lot of money and get your breaker suite set up, and be ready to Medium them ASAP. Clearing R&D ICE is most important in the midgame, so try to poke R&D, especially if you have a Mimic up, and Parasite/Knife whatever they rez. You CAN leave them with Fast Advance (Biotics/Unrezzed SanSans), as long as they dont have a lot of money, because if they ever go broke to score an Astro, you can start Medium digging them, which beats the Astro token in a race the vast majority of the time. If you’ve got a lot of money and ways to make more of it, you can trash unrezzed SanSan early, but trashing every one you see if usually incorrect. Once you can threaten Medium, they’re no longer a big deal.

Here’s a game against NEH. I don’t think I ever played this one particularly well, but it illustrates the Medium counterattack.

4 Likes

Denying DBS and SanSan are only SOMETIMEs a good idea. The closer to Medium digging them you get, the less relevant either of those cards become.

Early on, try to trash their Biotic/Fast Track with imp and build a rig. Don’t bother to trash sansan until they score an agenda. If they score an agenda with it, trash it on sight if their econ is high, don’t bother if they’re (almost) broke. If you keep running their server for a single access, even if it doesn’t cost you a lot, at some point the toll on your econ would be too high. At some point, you want to drop a Medium and keep running their R&D that you should have cleared by now with parasite/knifed.

Ohh, thanks for the insight. That was what my plan was typically. I really hate going down to 0 creds. Would much prefer be hovering above 4 creds. Thing is I think I got tilted seeing them score their first astro, or about to score an astro before I have anything set up other than a kati. In all three games against NEH I was constantly milling my clonechips and sure gambles too.

I’m also gonna say that trying to run too aggressively against NEH without desperado is probably the best way to lose the game with any runner.
NEH usually doesn’t care if you only run for a single card, especially if they don’t have anything to lose in their HQ. Most of the time they won’t rez any ice except popup and architect early on.

3 Likes

Think I made a few mistakes on running against the NEH players, on two of the games against the same guy I ran rather recklessly, hoping to stop their second astro. That made me go broke or near broke with out any points scored. Which also means sansan and DBS stayed longer while I attempted to remedy my train wreck of an econ.

On my last game against another NEH player, which knocked me out of the double elim as third place, I had r&d locked with a medium with 3 tokens. R&d was guarded by an Eli, hq with a quandary. I had 1 Cred, 3 tokens on medium, an empty kati and sitting at 6 points. At which point I decided to click through the Eli again for four cards and whiffed on the access. The opponent then scored his 6th point using his last token on astro. At which point I was extremely torn between going for either R&D, or Cred + parasite and run hq twice. I felt that a breaking news was in hand. I did the latter, but failed to steal the breaking news that he actually had and scored next turn.

I think the medium dig is very potent, but would you guys also sit back to money back up for a turn if going too low on money?

3 meat / 30 octgn.
77 is not that big, even sleeved like I do.
If you ever played Tarot, that is no big deal to shuffle. :stuck_out_tongue:
Advantage of meat version is your opponent making a lot of fun of you until he realise his 8th ice got melt or trashed and you’re preping a Wanton, haha.
/ot would we ? Original question is why 2x econ x1 in this deck.