Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

I’ll see if I can’t do anything about it.

Can’t?!

This is the time to show them the “I’m a World Champion” badge! :angry:

Alternatively, just beat someone over the head with that fancy trophy. It seems heavy enough to inflict some blunt force trauma, on the photos at least.

What do people think about singleton Crypsis as an emergency answer to Blacklist servers? It can also serve as an emergency breaker in case you don’t have your full suite up/can’t parasuck fast enough, and if you’re running Scavenge it can turn into a Yog.0 or whatever else anyway.

I like it with scavenge, after breaking the blacklist, reuse the 5 inst cost…pretty interesting choice. The real problem is that in matchups that don’t use blacklist, crypsis is basically a fucking nightmare to install and use.

Seems very expensive… 5 to play, load and break. Singularity is 1 credit and a click less expensive

Singularity requires a successful run though? So if you don’t have a breaker for that server it does actually nothing. Unless you mean using Eater as your AI breaker and running a single Singularity (which seems more likely to get milled off since you need two cards not to end up in your heap – the event and the eater – compared to a Crypsis OR your other breakers to just trash it normally).

I think Knight is generally a better AI breaker backup than Crypsis is, but I don’t think either are really worth including. The only ICE that really threatens a full lockout is Lotus, as everything else can be Parasited, so if you’re that worried about Blacklist I would just go with 2nd Zu or a Knight somewhere.

1 Like

Coming back to the idea if an emergency breaker, what’s the protocol after a virus token wipe? Mid run Cyberdex can’t really be helped but when the Corp has spent a turn to whipe I suddenly feel like any face down ICE turns on in a big way.

Is it a case of taking a few clicks or turns to secure access to a Clone Chip + D4v1d? I know its probably quite a basic question but thoughts would be appreciated.

It really depends on what matchup it is, I guess? The most threatening in terms of program trash is definitely Weyland, but NEXT Gold and Merlin can be scary as well. A good trick is to just install a new Datasucker with Grimoire in play. Being prepared to do this is a good thing if you think your opponent can trash programs. I often hold a Clone Chip for Sucker/Parasite or a second Datasucker for post-purge so I can reach a little farther with Mimic, sometimes even installing a Sucker over another your old one just to get the counter.

If the purge is against Medium, usually what I do is build up money (sometimes going so far as to take multiple turns of Kati, click for $3) until the cards are fresh and you can make multiple runs again. Outside of a pure race situation, you usually want to run Medium up to only 2 or 3 counters, even if you can get more, to try and induce a purge before you spend all your money and leave yourself vulnerable to economic lockout. If they don’t purge, you can wait until R&D is fresh to run again.

2 Likes

@kiv argued in another thread to #slottheclot in Noise:

What about MaxX? Is it worth including in a NEH Astrobiotic/Butcher Shop heavy environment? I feel like deckspace is too tight (especially if I want a second D4v1d for the BS match up) and I need my Clone Chips for other stuff. Is anyone playing it?

I’m not currently playing it in MaxX, in my experience you can beat NEH reasonably well without it.

You need extra recursion to play Clot in MaxX since normally you need all the Clone Chips you can draw (and you’re not guaranteed any) to set up your breakers.

2 Likes

Yeah MaxX can reliably beat NEH by just quickly assembling the Anarch breaker suite and a Medium. My highest winrate against NEH pre clot was with Reg MaxX.

1 Like

Yeah, sounds right. And in one game against a Midseason Making News my second D4v1d (46 cards FTW) helped in running through Gutenberg with Medium more than a Clot would have.

On this 46 cards topic, now that RP all slot in one Blacklist to probably just hope for a delay on Levy instead of a hard lock down, is it time to go 47 cards :construction_worker: ? a Vamp+econ? the second david/ third sucker ? I haven’t seen bio-astro NEH in quite a while. But a late show-up on Zu with less time to react doesn’t sound good anyway.

I also think about the third Grimore. Really hate to get cornered when two of my Grimore get milled and not able to levy unless I spend half turn and maybe 10+ credits to trash that blacklist in scoring server (or have to levy early). I’d rather wait and play with what I have on board.

In general, I’m not good against RP , so any guideline suggestions will be appreciated. My issue is always not knowing when to stop chasing after those assets and closing the game. :weary:

So, here’s what I’ve been playing now that NRE is out:

NRE Reg Ass (45 cards)

MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock

Event (13)
2 Deja Vu
3 I’ve Had Worse
1 Knifed
1 Legwork
1 Levy AR Lab Access
1 Queen’s Gambit
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (7)
3 Clone Chip
2 Grimoire
2 Net-Ready Eyes

Resource (10)
3 Daily Casts
2 Kati Jones
3 Liberated Account
2 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (6)
2 Corroder
2 Mimic
2 Yog.0

Program (9)
1 D4v1d
2 Datasucker
2 Imp
1 Medium
3 Parasite

Basically, the same deck I was playing before -1 silverware -1 Lucky -1 Zu -1 Kati, +1 Yog +2 NRE +1 Liberated.

I realized after thinking about it for a bit that it takes about 6 turns of Kati to make her as good as Liberated. That’s fine in matchups that take forever or even just for insurance against Medium taking forever to pay off in a faster matchup, but I figured it would be a good switch considering it’s almost always better in fast MUs like Astrobiotics, and that it’s better to draw 2 Liberated than 2 Kati, (obviously). Drawing 2 Liberated is totally fine. I think @hhooo was running with this change from the beginning, and I think it’s a good call.

+2 NRE +1 Yog -1 Zu -1 Lucky -1 Spooned is the really obvious change to make to slot NRE, since you’re basically just freeing up influence and cutting a card that gets a whole lot worse when you have a long term way of negating Lotus Fields.

It makes you a little more vulnerable to Blacklist, hurts your econ a little bit, but not as much as you think considering how much NRE can save you (and not having to pay to break non Lotus CGs with Zu against decks with Lotus). It also opens you up a little bit to something sneaky like Power Shutdown + Lotus and random Tauruses. However, it’s a worthwhile change IMO. Yog is just super busted. The fact that you’re so good at blowing up ICE anyway means that not only do you usually get 1-3 free code gate “destructions” when you install the Yog, but that you can very easily run them out of useful ICE. With the full setup, it’s hard to tax you for more than $2.

7 Likes

How do you deal with Blacklist?

NRA: Net-Reg Ass

2 Likes

Well, it kinda needs to be Blacklist Lotus Field to be a serious threat, otherwise you just Parasite whatever it is. I guess against RP you just look to set up before that happens. I won’t say it isn’t a problem, but it’s not the easiest thing in the world to set up and there’s nothing to be done about it that doesn’t fuck up your whole game plan. I guess you could slot a surprise Knight or something but the last thing this deck wants to be doing generally is paying $2 to break subs.

1 Like

Clearly it’s time to slot Lotus Field and Patch into every deck.

2 Likes

… David?

3 Likes