Going Against the Grain: Reg-Ass Maxx

I tested a lot against blacklist and mostly found out that if someone can protect blacklist, he can also score a Chronos and I was never afraid of Chronos in the first place neither with Maxx or Kate.

1 Like

I played Danā€™s List there too, I think it was only you and me playing Maxx. Honestly except in your first game of Elims I never even saw a Blacklist. It is irritating that FFG keeps printing these Corp cards that hurt Maxx

I was a RegMaxx too at Vancouver. All in all its good, but not so much when against the IG that double blacklisted my ass. Ended up as 14th. The lockout was due to my own errors and seriously missed an earlier window to use Levy.

Think probably taking @Calimsha 's advice (from going through the Kate thread), and not wait til the end of your deck to use Levy would be the wise choice. Second timeā€™s the charm of setting your shit up if a ton of breakers are in the heap. Clonechips are not with the lockout to wait for. Learnt this the hard way, and missed the cut.

Placed 4th at the Rochester regional with RegAss Maxx. Kept the deck at 45 cards with 3 kati (2 liberated). Dropped the QG for a third sucker.

Went with a third sucker for two reasons:

1. An alternate and more flexible solution than a 2nd d4vid against glacier decks. Getting those sucker tokens early allows you to burn down the central of your choice and snowball further sucker tokens while delaying the scoring server.
  2. Fear of blacklist lockout. Assuming datasuckers are up, it gives you the opportunity to burn down any server (minus lotus field) that protects blacklist with parasite. From that point you just need to prioritize recursion for NRE and yog before the LARLA.

Losses were mainly due to mill variance knocking out to many economy cards. In hindsight Iā€™d rather have had the additional economy card (3rd liberated).

I went up against 2 blacklist RP decks at the tournament without issue. Aside from some early playtesting Iā€™ve never been hard locked. What I failed to realize early on was that RP has to expend resources to get that backlist lock running. This comes at an opportunity cost: they are no longer rushing agendas, nor do they have a strongly defended sundew. At the sacrifice of aggression, emphasis has to be placed on setting up a rig before the LARLA. Generally I draw 4 or 7 cards before the LARLA to do this. Soft lock (dropping blacklist and agenda in same turn) can still be a problem due to click compression.

Thanks to NRE anarch players can once again abuse yog in all itā€™s glory. The power level of the deck has gone up noticeably. I actually won games where I made a mistake or two (which is not how the deck used to work).

4 Likes

Yeah, one thing that I think keeps regass from proliferating as much as Kate is that its absurdly hard to play. Itā€™s more forgiving than it used to be, but not by a whole lot. I think the most common way to have a shitty game these days, outside of fucking up, is rolling bad econ, which is why I played the Lucky before and went up to 46 like some kind of euro asshat yesterday. Sometimes you just have way too much money without enough time to use it, but I think its better than sometimes not having enough.

8 Likes

Now that Iā€™ve won UK Regionals am I allowed to officially declare the UK a 45/49 card only zone?

8 Likes

Love you, Dan! Never change!

By ā€˜euro asshatā€™, he meant a continental. UK is its own entity.

4 Likes

Solid job, Dan. Anarch is in a really strong place right now, and Iā€™m glad you came around on NRE. Itā€™s really strong. How did it work for you?

I am what I eat, but calling me out is rightfully so. Glad to hear it can perform under Blacklist pressure, Iā€™ll give it a whirl. Youā€™ve all convinced me either way. :smile:

1 Like

He tore me a new one with it. Itā€™s really strong against RP.

1 Like

You guys should have PMā€™d me for secret anti-Dan tech. $25 USD.

2 Likes

nb4 memstrips

2 Likes

Man I feel pretty dumb, I remember seeing the corp deck that you mentioned. I donā€™t remember seeing any other Maxx decks. We even placed close (I was 15th). There was a lot of people there in a crowded space. I that my problem came from being unsure when to Levy, I definitely fall into the trap of waiting until the end of the deck to Levy.

Shouldā€™ve run the 3x blacklist tech that two of my opponents had. Duh.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve connected with about a dozen Power Shutdowns for zero against MaxX players running NRE in the last two days, just want to encourage you guys to keep living the dream :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Letting the cat out the bag again Rielle?!?!

1 Like

I also wanted to thank everyone for the discussion here, this brought me to 3rd at Santa Clara regionals. Also, thanks to all the people who recorded at that tournament, I am going to be curious to double check myself on all three of the games I was in at the elims.

I may have been able to do 2nd, but I donā€™t have quite enough experience with knowing what kind of bad mills mean I should Levy early (milled 3 clone chips, both dejas, 2 parasites, and the vamp by turn 6-7 against RP, probably the worst mill I have seen yet). I am still not convinced on NRE, though, I stuck with Zu / LF.

I ran 47 cards with a Crypsis (afraid of blacklist, turned out to not see one all day) and 3rd Kati/Liberated. Should have been 46 with -Spooned. I took Vamp and only 2 Iā€™ve Had Worse, and that did a lot of work. Probably also why I wanted to keep all the econ. Crypsis ended up being useful in one game from bad mills, but not sure if it is actually worth being a 46th card.

This was my list: 3rd place Santa Clara Regionals - Reg-ish Maxx Ā· NetrunnerDB

4 Likes

Iā€™m a big fan of the 3rd Kati, but Iā€™d rather just get totally locked out of the game than play Crypsis as #47. It just costs so much money to do anything with it.

IMO if you are going to play an AI, Knight is better but neither is great in this deck.